Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about writing something like "There are two dog's in the park.".

I've occasionally see it on websites. I don't know if it's just me, but curiously I've seem to have noticed it more often online, whereas before I don't think I've seen this mistake before I was used to online posting/writing.

It's strange since it seems straightforward to write the plural -s, and it'd take longer to add the apostrophe make the typo.

I talked about it to my friend and he reckons perhaps the internet age has made it more common when we use abbreviations more often (like DVD's, 90's etc.) perhaps we make the mistake of slipping it in more easily. In any case, I just thought it was a odd/quirky/curious thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,651,414 times
It's not just you, Stumbler. I see it all the time too, and it drives me crazy. I'm a writer, so words and their proper spellings are important to me. It's as if the kids have decided to completely reverse the rule:apostrophes are used for plurals and vice-versa. I blame the schools for it. They stopped using phonics and teaching proper English in favor of letting the kids spell as they liked because it was "more important to get the message through."

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Well, it is usually just a typo but I would say that the reason you seem to see it more often these days is because you read a lot more unedited text written by inexperienced and non-professional writers. In other words, you read a lot of internet based media.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
I think spelling the wrong "there" is more common (and so frickin annoying haha). It also seems like hardly anyone knows when to subtract the apostrophe in "its" when the word "it" is possessive.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 AM

61 posts, read 92,662 times
It's gotten to the point where I'm beginning to see that apostrophe mistake in places where you would normally expect someone to have proofread and corrected it. Places like:

Billboards
Advertising copy
Newspapers and magazines
Professionally-published books
Television ads
The crawls or static bands you see across the TV screen during newscasts

Oh, and to CoolSocks:

Worse yet, some word-processing software (including MS Word 2010, at least on my laptop) will try to insist on making you use the WRONG version of its/it's. In fact, it's my opinion that over-reliance on spell-checking and grammar-checking software is probably the source of at least part of the overall problem addressed in this thread. When I write, I usually turn both of them off, and rely on my own eyes to spot mistakes.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
The apostrophe is a fairly modern innovation; in Shakespeare's time, it was not used and whether a given form was genitive or plural had to be recognized by context.

Sometime by the 1700's the British formed the genitive by the use of his. Example: "Whose hat is this?" "That is Jack his hat." Which became eventually "That is Jack's hat."

Oddly enough, they used his regardless of gender. Example: Whose coach is that?" "That is the queen his coach." from which came "That is the queen's coach."

I was told the above by a chap who attended English public school. Take it cµm grano salis.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I thought the English genitive case ending was formerly '-es' and the apostrophe simply replaces the omitted 'e' in that form.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'm talking about writing something like "There are two dog's in the park.".

I've occasionally see it on websites. I don't know if it's just me, but curiously I've seem to have noticed it more often online, whereas before I don't think I've seen this mistake before I was used to online posting/writing.

It's strange since it seems straightforward to write the plural -s, and it'd take longer to add the apostrophe make the typo.

I talked about it to my friend and he reckons perhaps the internet age has made it more common when we use abbreviations more often (like DVD's, 90's etc.) perhaps we make the mistake of slipping it in more easily. In any case, I just thought it was a odd/quirky/curious thing.
It's getting worse.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,651,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
...I would say that the reason you seem to see it more often these days is because you read a lot more unedited text written by inexperienced and non-professional writers.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeChick View Post
It's gotten to the point where I'm beginning to see that apostrophe mistake in places where you would normally expect someone to have proofread and corrected it. Places like:

Billboards
Advertising copy
Newspapers and magazines
Professionally-published books
Television ads
The crawls or static bands you see across the TV screen during newscasts

Oh, and to CoolSocks:

Worse yet, some word-processing software (including MS Word 2010, at least on my laptop) will try to insist on making you use the WRONG version of its/it's. In fact, it's my opinion that over-reliance on spell-checking and grammar-checking software is probably the source of at least part of the overall problem addressed in this thread. When I write, I usually turn both of them off, and rely on my own eyes to spot mistakes.
The news crawls annoy me the most! These are supposed to be professionals. Where's their pride?

I definitely agree that there's too much reliance on SpellCheck. It often gives the wrong form.
Like you, I don't use the SpellCheck, because it's so often wrong. I do use it to check on extra spaces, though--something I do often since I got this new laptop. I hit the spacebar too hard 'cuz I learned to type on a manual machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post

Sometime by the 1700's the British formed the genitive by the use of his. Example: "Whose hat is this?" "That is Jack his hat." Which became eventually "That is Jack's hat."
Very interesting! I wondered about that.

I love talking about grammar & writing. I'm just weird that way.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

270 posts, read 487,912 times
This gets on my nerves!!! Our hospital bulletin is always saying, "Hat's off to ___!" I'm soooo tempted to write in and correct them...but I figure that thousands of people read that bulletin and either nobody else cares like I do, or the bulletin is determined to use apostrophes no matter what :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing