U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM

33,963 posts, read 6,527,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Unfortunately, the vast majority of those who write "would of" or "should of" or "could of" are not using intentional colloquialisms. They believe they are writing it correctly.

[Sigh!]

-- Nighteyes
Yes. That's what kills me. These people believe they are using correct grammar.

The list of such incorrect phrases is endless. One that really gets my goat is "ice tea." It's not tea made from ice. It is tea which has ice in it; tea which has been iced. It is iced tea!

Let's not forget all those signs in retail stores which say, "10 items or less." The only store I've ever been in which has the correct grammar on its signs for the express lanes is Menards. Its signs say, "10 items or fewer." Ding ding ding ding ding! Correct! Yippee!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,020,942 times
Just found this "I'd of called the cops instead.." on another forum.
Said poster needs help with there, their and they're also.
It's so sad to see posts like this because you just know (or think you know ) that these posters are graduates from the schools of "feel good".

Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Just found this "I'd of called the cops instead.." on another forum.
Said poster needs help with there, their and they're also.
It's so sad to see posts like this because you just know (or think you know ) that these posters are graduates from the schools of "feel good".
Sad, indeed.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

14,369 posts, read 11,936,084 times
Frankly, I could care less.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM

6,460 posts, read 8,197,638 times
(I'm the OP)
I just got another mangled e-mail from a high level manager with a Master's degree:

"Your welcome"

That's ticking me off just as much as "could of."

Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Not to take this TOO far off-topic, but one thing that really bothers me is for people to say or write ... a half of an inch, .. a quarter of an inch, or similar. As I'm sure we all know, it is either "a half-inch" or "half of an inch," or "a quarter-inch" or "one quarter of an inch."
This bugs me, too. I remember watching Howie Mandel on Deal Or No Deal (yes, I'm guilty of watching that moronic game more than once ), and it always bugged the heck out of me when he said many times during each show, "You could walk away with a half a million dollars!" Grrrrrr! Leave off the first "a," Howie. Sheesh!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Frankly, I could care less.
Yes! Another one which makes no sense. If you could care less, then you don't care as little as possible. Why don't people understand that it should be, "I couldn't care less"?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 1,777 times
Default Write On TracySam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Aggghhhh! I just saw it again.

A person in my company with an advanced degree typed "should of" in an e-mail. As in "the employee should of reported this to me." Idiot. It's "should have."

I know that when we use these terms in everyday speech, we often shorten or slur the word "have." But if you are typing it or writing it, you should at least make it "should 've."

I am noticing this problem more & more frequently. Anyone else?
Glad to see someone else who gets a little upset about such things. Most people seem to be in a fog, not only about language, and not only people who are uneducated (as you point out). Most people do not know when to use "who" or "whom". Or "farther" as opposed to "further." "Should of" is of course never correct. "Should've" is a contraction of the words should and have, so technically it is grammatically correct, maybe. Some experts say that if you do not reduce the number of syllables with a contraction then don't do it, as in this case. But, one thing that makes the contraction rule tricky is when to use it. For instance, if you are writing a school paper or a formal letter (say for instance, to your boss, a teacher, or a someone in a higher position), you should never use contractions because they look less professional than typing out the non-contraction (should have).

Old 02-25-2011, 10:37 PM

7,534 posts, read 5,293,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
(I'm the OP)
I just got another mangled e-mail from a high level manager with a Master's degree:

"Your welcome"

That's ticking me off just as much as "could of."
My welcome? What about my welcome? Don't leave me hanging--is my welcome going to be something special?

I agree, that is very stupid sounding and shouldn't be coming from an educated person.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 AM

27,393 posts, read 20,767,055 times
I'm still cranky that people are now allowed to use "loan" as a verb instead of "lend", so you can imagine how my head spun around when a man on Judge Judy said he'd borrowed his friend some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing