Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times

Advertisements

Breakfront for china cabinet

Beautician for hair stylist

Beauty parlor for hair salon

Record player for stereo

Stockings for pantyhose

Curlers for rollers

Oleomargarine for margarine

Last edited by Pivot Point; 02-28-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Default Anyone remember these expressions?

"Fresh" or "Getting Fresh" ... as in "Irma, did that boy who took you to the drive-in picture show try to get fresh with you?!"

"Fast" as in "Oh! What a flirt Connie is! She's getting a reputation for being a 'fast' girl!"

"Family Way" for pregnant: "I heard Eunice is in the 'family way' ..."

"Pansy" for effeminate gay man: "That Liberace is such a Pansy!"

other words you don't hear much nowadays:

'High and Mighty' (a critical comment for pretentiousness)
'High Falutin' (fancy or pretentious)
'Co-ed' (a female college student)
'GI' (a soldier)
'Xerox' (to make a photocopy)
'dressing gown' for bathrobe
'drawers' for underwear

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,461 times
ape sh*t

my grandfather uses that. lol it sounds pretty cool though

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I'm always amused when news stories talk about something happening to a "co-ed" when they mean a female college student. You can still hear it a lot on local TV news and radio news. I mean, is this 1952? Are female college students really that rare anymore? I think most colleges have more female than male students. Can you stop calling them co-eds already? Are our grandparents writing for news agencies????

Go to Google and search News for "coed" and you'll get tons of recent news stories about "coeds." C'mon, seriously?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Default Grandparent words

Fun post.....

1. reckon for suppose/ ie reckon I will call Joe
2. Kelvinator = refrigerator (old brand name)
3. heifer = a woman not approved of
4. rheumatism=arthritis
5. crick=creek

Oh and from an earlier post: there IS a product called snuff, in addition to chewing tobacco. It is a powder from of tobacco. Big cause of oral cancers...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Wow, this thread took off! I have to say that I still call my waste basket a... waste basket!

Not to derail this thread, but sometimes technology leaps ahead of verbiage. Example: When I take movies with my digital camera, what am I doing? I'm not video taping (although I call it "taking video"). I'm certainly not filming!

My mother caused me several moments of acute embarrassment when she asked me in front of my friends: "Oh, Sandy, how was Paris. Was it swell?" I'm sure that "swell" was used in the 50s much like "groovy" was used in the 70s, but auuughhh! I was 14 at the time; I wanted to disappear.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
When I was a little girl, I remember the older generation would say "grand" when they meant "great" or "wonderful," as in "You're graduating? That's really grand" or "I had a grand time at the party."

When my grandfather wanted to express amazement, he would say, "Well, I declare!"

A lot of my older relatives would start a sentence with "why," as in "Why, I believe she moved away last year."

An elderly babysitter once scolded me for being "saucy" (impertinent).

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
my grammy said:

"cunning" for cute; as in the little baby was so cunning.

"sundries" for odds and ends

"snuggies" for her cotton underware

a "tin" of tuna....instead of a can of tuna

"tin foil" instead of aluminum foil

"machine" for car

my father called a big porch.....the "piazza" and an entry-way....the "vestibule"

and I still call the garage "the barn".....I can't quite break myself of the habit.
Tia 914's point that some of these are regionalisms more than anachronistic terms may apply to "cunning" to mean "cute," which I too used to hear old ladies say when I was growing up in the Boston metro area, and which as far as I know was used mainly in New England. I'm pretty sure that "cunning" also fits as a dated term as well. When I was a kid, it was only old ladies I ever heard use the term, and I never hear anyone use it now, and haven't heard it for years.

I remember my grandparents using a number of the terms people have listed here, but below are a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Trousers

"Go to," to mean to do something deliberately. Two kids are roughhousing, and one gets hurt. "Jimmy hurt me." "I know it hurts, but he didn't go to do it."

And another brand name used generically. My grandparents said "kodak" for camera.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

An elderly babysitter once scolded me for being "saucy" (impertinent).
or, the old-fashioned east coast equivalent- "bold"... or "forward" (try pronouncing the latter without the 'r'- sounded something like 'fowid')

Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
My father used to call soda.... "TONIC" That is a regionalism from Maine and Northern New England. Moxie, which was the local favorite soft drink...and it was promoted for its health benefits. You still hear old timers call soda..."tonic". ("Can I get you a bottle of tonic?" of just "Would you like a tonic?")

"English Peas" were regular green sweet peas....I guess that distinguished them from dry field peas.

"try out" was a cooking term for mincing up some salt pork and frying it to get the fat in the pan. The crispy little ends of the fried pork were usually served on top of the chowder.

"vexed" was to be really "cross" or irritated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing