Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the rise of typing made it easier to slip in spelling and punctuation mishaps and grammatical mistakes.

I can't remember as easily how often I made mistakes when I wrote (as it's been a while since I wrote long pieces of text by pen and paper) but it seems that when writing, mistakes are detected and fixed more obviously (rubbed out if pencil, or crossed/whited out for pen), while for typing it's really easy to let something slip and overlook it.

The nature of the word "typo" itself is quite telling.

Also, in typing it's easier to go back and edit out things, copying and pasting to change them (so often grammatical mistakes creep in as byproducts of hastily inserted and removed sentences, phrases and words) -- it's harder to do that in writing on paper, without writing on the margin, and drawing a little arrow showing that you mean to insert, and in that case, you'd see what you meant to insert much more obviously.

Thinking back, it's almost taken for granted how easily you can edit a typed text that it feels strange to consider that if you'd do the same in handwriting, you'd get lots of messy cross-outs and additions (perhaps we thought a lot more before putting the pen to paper then?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I use a fountain pen and write longhand just as much as I type. I find longhand is just enough slower that I make fewer spelling mistakes- sometimes I'll question myself as to how a word is spelled, and lift the pen off the paper for a second. I tend to plow through a mis-spelling while using a keyboard.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I personally hate autocorrect. My new mac came with it and I get pretty frustrated as it will change words on me. I see a lot of embarrassing mistakes by people on Facebook because almost every smart phone now has auto correct.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Also, in typing it's easier to go back and edit out things, copying and pasting to change them (so often grammatical mistakes creep in as byproducts of hastily inserted and removed sentences, phrases and words) -- it's harder to do that in writing on paper, without writing on the margin, and drawing a little arrow showing that you mean to insert, and in that case, you'd see what you meant to insert much more obviously.
I think it's definitely easier to miss simple punctuation errors. With word programs, you can almost type as fast as you think, instead of taking time to think it out before writing with your hand. With typing, you can use all ten fingers simultaneously on an editable canvas. You can take liberties and get a little sloppy because you know you can go back and fix errors.

In writing a response to this thread, my first sentence reads: "I think it's definitely easier to miss simple punctuation errors." In reading it again, I noticed the spell check did not originally highlight that anything was wrong. I had, at first, typed "simply" instead of "simple." It also didn't make the distinction between "its" and "it's."

Old 11-26-2011, 03:08 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I can see how a person may make more mistakes, or I suppose miss more mistakes typing as opposed to hand-writing. If I've been typing a lot, I gradually get faster and faster, and I notice I begin making a lot of incorrect key strokes and have to correct them as I go or after a final proofread. I make plenty of errors when handwriting, too, but not as many. And with pen and ink correcting errors gets very ugly, so perhaps I'm subconsciously more careful.

One thing I have noticed, though it may not exactly relate to this thread, is that when I read a fairly new book, I'll often come across several typos. But I also read a lot of older editions of books, and in those I practically never see typos. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a typo in any of my old books. I wonder if we've become sloppier at proofreading in modern times.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
When you type or even hand write, you know what you are saying, and because you know what you are saying, your brain auto-fills and auto-corrects for you. Self editing, you miss a lot.

That's why it's so important to have someone else read your work before you send it off -- or, try reading it yourself, out loud. Reading it out loud slows you down, and you end up really reading your work, and you can catch what you miss.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Gosh dern...I maek boobooos all thee time...jest meens I is normal.

In reality my old fingers are just overcome with arthritis and too stiff when typing.

Good thing I take some time (not today of course) to recheck my spelling/grammer.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
One thing I have noticed, though it may not exactly relate to this thread, is that when I read a fairly new book, I'll often come across several typos. But I also read a lot of older editions of books, and in those I practically never see typos. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a typo in any of my old books. I wonder if we've become sloppier at proofreading in modern times.
I notice this specifically in my local paper (it is the main paper for the surrounding area). I honestly cannot recall seeing so many errors in the past in this award-winning rag. It's slightly amusing as this is an industry/profession that is highly focused on not making such errors. Writing in an electronic format is completely different than doing it by hand. You can also, I suppose, write and submit articles from your cell phone. That would be an easy way to make mistakes. Add in the intense deadlines that newspapers face and it's a double-whammy.

As far as typing as a way of writing is concerned, if you can think back to the typewriter, this issue was kind of the same, except you took more time to physically handle the paper and correct it. I don't have a study to cite but I do think the brain goes through different processes when typing (less focused) versus writing by hand (more focused). I think with writing by hand your brain subconsciously wants to preserve the paper as much as possible, because if you don't, you have a corrective mess or you have to start all over. The "writing environment" today is quicker and it can lead to sloppiness if the writer is relying too much on the program to correct errors or be its own proof-reader.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
I make more mistakes when writing by hand. I think my brain is already on the next word while my hand is still writing the last word. So I miss letters and add the wrong ones. I can keep up better on the PC.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
I don't think the tools you use to write has a huge bearing on making spelling mistakes. If you don't know how to spell, then you're much more likely to make mistakes. (The number of people who can't spell appears to be increasing, but that's a completely different issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing