U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which site should I use to start my own new blog?
Wordpress 5 55.56%
Blogger 3 33.33%
Tumblr 0 0%
Other 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM

133 posts, read 202,292 times

Advertisements

I want to

1. start my own blog
2. get a lot of traffic on my blog
3. want to know which site is the best for it
4. make it very decorated as a picture for each post

I hear of

wordpress
blogger
and tumblr

any ideas which one I should pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 AM

2,839 posts, read 5,089,703 times
Honestly I think the more successful blogs are people who pay for their own domain name and hosting, then you can install wordpress to it.

A good blog updates at least 3-5 times a week I'd say, with good posts, not small blurbs. Topics are interesting, most likely personal, something people can relate to, etc. Depends on if you are just writing a blog for you, or a blog to get popular.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

2,683 posts, read 3,478,019 times
It depends what type of blog you want.

If you are interested in posting lots of photos, Tumblr is great. It is extremely easy to upload photos, and Tumblr is as much of a social network as a microblogging platform. Reblogging and liking the posts of other bloggers is critical. Apparently, there are some ads on Tumblr (I've never noticed it on mine), but they are not YOUR ads. You don't make money off of it. Tumblr is free.

If you want to post photos and words, both Wordpress.com and Blogger are excellent and easy to use. (I love Blogger's Template Designer - so much fun!) Both are free, although on the free version of Wordpress you cannot have ads. If you want to own your blog and host it yourself, you would need to move to Wordpress.org. A bit of a learning curve for a rookie.

You can buy (it's really renting) a domain name and put it on any blog, self-hosted or not.

When you say: "get a lot of traffic to my blog" are you only concerned about advertising and making money? Making money off of a blog can be very difficult and time-consuming.

What is your real purpose for the blog? Is it a way to blog about something you are truly passionate about? Do you love photography? Or are you only interested in making money? Very few bloggers make a lot of money blogging and it is a lot of hard work!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:23 PM

133 posts, read 202,292 times
I have had certain life experiences that have made me grow and I would like to share those (for free) with a lot of the other people out there on the web who might be lost.

See what I am getting at here?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM

933 posts, read 1,231,663 times
I think Wordpress is too complicated, and I don't think Tumblr is a good blogging site. I would choose Blogger.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM

5,792 posts, read 3,457,738 times
I'd use blogger to put up a blog because you don't have to pay a dime.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
There is a new blogging engine - Ophigen ([url]http://www.ophigen.com[/url]). Try it. It's free.

You can get your blog working in 20 minutes. You just need to download the software, install it on a web server and create a database.
All scripts and installation manuals are on the site (see link above).

Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,840,556 times
Blogger is extremely easy to use and good for a first-time blogger.

If you want to buy your own domain name, so it would be yourdomainname.com instead of yourdomainname.blogger.com, then you can install Wordpress and go from there. Wordpress is fairly easy to use, and there is a free version if you want to use that. Blogger is simpler to use, though.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,353,551 times
Most who start a blog fritter out after about a week. It's much more trouble than is thought. All the talk about it in the beginning, then silence when the excitement is over. I think if someone wants to blog, then write at least a dozen essays and put them in a file. That's a month already written.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM

71 posts, read 131,401 times
Find an ISP that will load Wordpress for free, get a domain name from godaddy, and have your own site. Why give your work away for free? You do the work and some outfit like Blogger gets the advertising bucks - not fair. If you're going to write, write for an audience and reap the benefits yourself.

Last edited by swahili; 08-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: minor edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing