U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,283,433 times
When I started reading this word came to mind but I see
you beat me to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM

220 posts, read 404,166 times
Default "ish"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
As a suffix that is now applied to just about every word.
Don't think that one has made it to this part of Texas yet, but it will. Sometimes takes a little longer to get here. Some of the women here are still into the Jennifer Aniston back and forth part in their hair here . They haven't even made it to the chunky and exaggerated zebra highlights for their hair. That one's coming though; I saw a magazine in the beauty shop last week that had the newest hair styles in it. Guess we are just behind the times.

I have heard of the term "noonish" though!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

1,070 posts, read 563,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
it means true, or that you agree
Once when my son was bombarded with homework I said ''oh, NO and you still have that 500 page English paper to write", he said "word''-and I thought he meant true/right, but he meant word. A five-hundred word English paper!
oh okay.
I was actually beginning to think it was an adolescent-specific annoying tactic of "getting the last word" literally in an argument.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,267,375 times
I hate when people say "peace."

Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

139 posts, read 275,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Most Annoying........................ baby daddy
I think that one is annoying too!!!
I also don't like when people type like this:
h3y gUySz!

It's really annoying! Why must some people type with numbers instead of letters?!?
I really hate when they add the "Z" instead of "S" at the end of every word.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,982,433 times
The most annoying phrase I hear all the time is "Don't go there"...or "Oh, you don't want to go there".

Runner up would be "How good is that?" or "How tasty is that?"

Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 PM

388 posts, read 12,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I mean no offense to anyone, but I am totally sick and tired of the use of "ish."

Since Carolinabredchicagoan asked me to clarify,yes suffixes and prefixes are included.

A phrase is also acceptable.

Example of a new stupid phrase-"Man up."
Great thread. I starting something similar in a different thread about a week ago. Not-so-common internet abbreviations really bother me. For one that doesn't spend 24 hours a day on a message board, it can be difficult figuring out what certain "words" mean. IMO, it's laziness that causes people to abbreviate things. My biggest pet peeve is "DH". As I mentioned before, this could mean 5 or 6 different things. Very annoying.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,679,808 times
I agree, ditto. It took me awhile to even use 'DH' a couple of times and now I don't. I'd much rather 'say' my husband or my hubby. I am not very good with internet slang and abbreviations at all. 'LOL' still confuses me at times. Does it mean lots of laughs, lots of love, laughing out loud? I know, laughing out loud, but in the beginning it did have me confused.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM

1,070 posts, read 563,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
The most annoying phrase I hear all the time is "Don't go there"...or "Oh, you don't want to go there".

Runner up would be "How good is that?" or "How tasty is that?"
I still like "what's up with that "
cliff clavin I think used that one.

peace is okay

it's PEACE OUT that I can't stand !

Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,982,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
I still like "what's up with that "
cliff clavin I think used that one.

peace is okay

it's PEACE OUT that I can't stand !
Who said that? Was it Captain Kirk or Ike Turner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing