Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Lovehound, you use more words to say less than anyone on CD.
Upon further thought, your post is just nasty and hurtful. If that's all you have to add to the Writer's section, that and your previous nasty post to another writing enthusiast, then your participation in our section takes away more than your participation adds.

Please, go sharpen your teeth. Practice biting. It would become your character, or lack thereof.

If nothing else, go occupy yourself pulling the wings off of butterflies. Your only contribution is negativity. Only that is not a contribution, that is a subtraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Upon further thought, your post is just nasty and hurtful. If that's all you have to add to the Writer's section, that and your previous nasty post to another writing enthusiast, then your participation in our section takes away more than your participation adds.

Please, go sharpen your teeth. Practice biting. It would become your character, or lack thereof.

If nothing else, go occupy yourself pulling the wings off of butterflies. Your only contribution is negativity. Only that is not a contribution, that is a subtraction.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on this. It was one of the big five. I got a form rejection around midnight, and it occurred to me the editor was probably on her computer right at that moment working, so I shot her a one sentence email very politely asking if she would honestly tell me if the problem was the story or just bad writing. I mean if my writing is terrible, I need to know, right? I'm desperate for a Simon Cowell type to rip me a new one and tell me I stink if that's the truth. I'm not above that kind of brutal honesty, and the sooner I know the sooner I can move on to something more appropriate for me. So I asked. She replied in I think thirty seconds, specifically starting the reply with "It's the story." She said nothing about my writing (whew), but didn't make any positive remarks either. The constructive criticism was the comment about writing something more timely and less niche. It was basically just two sentences--a very quick reply with typos and all--but I'm damn grateful she even bothered.

A well-published mystery writer acquaintance is fond of saying, 'No means no.' Another one says, 'Story trumps everything.'

Both are right, but how does that help you get to the 'yes?'

A pre-submission manuscript editor has been suggested. Not a bad idea. You could try to maintain contact with the editor who wrote you a note and ask her to suggest one. It's likely to cost ya, though.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM

50 posts, read 159,595 times
Join an online writing forum (there are a LOT of them) where you can submit short stories for approval and criticism and find people like you who will read each other's work and give honest opinions. And remember there is nothing wrong with starting small. Try writing a short story that has the essence of a planned (or in progress) novel. If there is zero interest in that, there probably won't be any interest in MORE of that. And good luck!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM

That's MY plan. Do you have any forums to recommend?

Old 05-19-2017, 04:46 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Hi, Candy...
What you are seeking is constructive criticism. It's necessary, for sure, but if there is no one around who can provide it, it's up to you to find what rejected your manuscript on your own.

There are ways to do it; one good way is to read the entire piece aloud. Your mind tends to fill in written gaps, but when spoken, those gaps are more obvious.

If you still can't see any way the piece could be improved after reading it aloud, try reading it aloud into a recorder, letting it cool for a few days, and the listen to the recording from first to last with as few breaks as possible. Listening closely to the spoken word will reveal flaws speaking those flaws may not.

If you still can't find a way it can be made better, another step is to edit a copy of the manuscript down to the bone, just the basic essentials of the plot and only the closest stuff that holds it together. Cut away all the incidental stuff, all the back-story stuff, and all the descriptive stuff. Get it down to the engine of the car with just enough things to allow the car to be driven.

And then, if you still can't find anything to improve the original, you had better put it away in a drawer for a long time and start something else. Sometimes, only time alone will show you where the deficiencies lie. The time has to be long enough for you to mostly forget what you wrote.

Some fiction, no matter how much struggle goes into it, is a misfire from the start. So, if a reading after a manuscript cools for months or years still doesn't show you where you went wrong, the wisest thing is to call it a day and keep it for a while longer. In time, you will discover what went bad.

All this will sharpen your own internal criticism. It's hard to learn how to be your own worst critic, but if you do, you may have a lot more luck in your future submissions.

The greatest artists are never fully satisfied with their own works. Writing is one of the few arts that allow the artist a do-over. If you learn how to be tough on yourself, no one else can be tougher. That's a key to a writer's success.

Professional editors read so much they know when a book isn't working very quickly. it's a learned skill, and like any, it takes practice. They are very good because that's their job and they practice it every working day. You can get there too.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's MY plan. Do you have any forums to recommend?
First, learn the plural of forum. Second, realize that published authors don't participate in them.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
First, learn the plural of forum. Second, realize that published authors don't participate in them.
LMFAO!

Only ultra-grammarians laugh at not using the plural fora. I'm not one of them.

Language evolves. I hope this is your best shot. I'll be mortally wounded if you held something back.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That popped out the geek in me!
I know the plural, but fora is so rarely used it's close to archaic. Sounds too much like flora, anyway.
I seriously doubt an editor would bounce it if forums was used instead.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 PM

I'll post that in my favorite florum.

Oh, and I am a published author. If I participate in some fora then I guess I'll put the lie to that too!

Too bad the laws of physics are self enforcing. Although I am able to fly. I have the FAA license to prove that one! Too bad I can't afford to rent planes any more. Flying is the best fun you can have with your clothes still on. Ask any pilot.

Funny, I can sail a sloop too. Upwind. That's called tacking. "Ready about... Come about!"

"Hey, watch that line there!" Oops... Oh well, too far now to toss a life preserver. I guess I'll have to divide the sailboat rental by 5 instead of 6... Should'a collected while boarding my passengers!

Wow that must have hurt! Too bad you didn't understand sailing lingo!

I will have to admit I've enjoyed a lot of diverse experiences in my life. Including approaching Catalina Island airport, landing from downwind. Oops. Should'a approached from upwind for a straight-in. At least I recognized my mistake in time to make a new approach from the correct direction.

Maybe I haven't traveled the world but I've had enough unique experiences that my imagination can take me the rest of the way there.

I had a buddy who proved that you cannot make a successful accelerated stall from 500 feet AGL. I'm glad I wasn't there then. I so hate the sight of blood, even mixed with lots of aluminum. Sadly, true story. Bye bye Jeffy.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-19-2017 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing