Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Total absence of a copy editor, folks. Nothing interesting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I was wondering about the same thing, and then I concluded that a "whoppie" is apparently a small version of a Burger King Whopper. So, to Lovehound, I extend my congratulations on being able to navigate that fast food menu well enough to be able to order the smaller version of BK's fatty burger.
No, I think that's a Whoppette.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 AM

678 posts, read 438,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This song, this story could become a good short story! The more I thought about it the more I became convinced! Since I'm writing merely an exercise, no intent to publish, I figured this might be my inspiration to break the ice!

And I did it! I am now the proud new owner of about a quarter or fifth of a short story, about 1K words towards an anticipated 4-5K full length. And amazingly, after a few halting starts the words began to flow, the story began to evolve. I'm in!!!

No it's not going to be a great story, I doubt if copyrights would even allow me to publish it. That's not the point. I've finally got some words in hand instead of just the mere gall and impetuousness of wanting to write but having nothing to show!

In any case I'm so excited! I just knew if I found my groove that it would be fun (it was!) and that the words would flow (they did!) and that dialog and narration and plot would ensue!
Congratulations... on your inspiration. Happily write away... !!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM

50 posts, read 159,653 times
I cannot stress how important music is to writing!

I'm working on a novel set in 73/74, and my chapter titles are also the majority of the songs in my playlist. For longer works, novellas and novels, I always make a playlist to set the mood, especially since I am doing a lot of work set in the 70s.

My playlist has gotten me to 98,000 words, and I figure I have another 30k to go before I'm done.

No matter what stage you are at, keep writing! Do it for the love. As you get better, more editors will be willing to see your work, and the more editors who see your work, the better your chances of making a sale

Old 05-18-2017, 12:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Bazuemague, please quit reading my mind! Just stop it now!!! [this figures into my nascent plans for my first novel, you nailed it]

And yes, I am writing for love. I am writing for myself. I create art for the same reason (pen & ink, colored pencil). My creativity must have an outlet. I cannot survive by merely being a sink for others' creativity. I have the time, this is my shot at writing (the novel, the SS is just my test bed, a way to build up to writing a full novel). I doubt the SS will ever see print, but it is an excellent idea for me to write a novel in miniature.

130K words is a very good length for a novel. While 100K is often mentioned, I like a slightly longer length that some writers provide, just as often you wish a really good movie wouldn't end, and it turns out to have a 2 hour running time! (IMO most movies are about 90 minutes.)

Thank you all, I am very flattered that you took enough interest in my dream to urge me along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing