Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Hmm..know I get it.

But couldn't one argue that at some point you just gotta 'cut your losses' and leave the game?

I'm relatively happy in life but following this analogy, almost everyone would agree that its insane to stay and play a game that is clearly going south, so IMO either leave the game or take out the dealer and/or your opponents.
I think post #3 gives your the best explanation, which is what you asked for, an explanation.

Now you are taking things a step further, and debating whether it is good advice. I my book it is an "okay" metaphor, but if you take it seriously you could end up where you have in what I have bolded above.

Bottom line, life is not a card game, so taking the metaphor to the point you have is logical only in terms of the metaphor, but a load of crap as far as living a life is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I think this saying actually originated with the game of Bridge, not poker. With poker, the saying would be best translated "know when to get out of the game", which isn't what the saying means.

For those who play bridge, you know you can be dealt a really crappy hand and you can succeed with it by being observant and flexible in how to help your partner, and be observant and smart in how you can play defensively to "set" your opponents.

You can be dealt a hand with very few high card points, for example, but a very long suit. Plan to strategize with your long suit. Et cetera.

It's kind of a sad statement if you're thinking poker - because you would be foolish often to play the hand you're dealt. You're usually smarter to fold at some point and cut your losses.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Folks, it's a metaphor taken from playing cards and applied to life:

"It means make the best of any situation even if it's a bad one."

You are making too big a deal out of it. Thaifood had it right in one sentence in post #2.

Another similar metaphor: "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, it means that sometimes things aren't what you want and there are things about a situation that perhaps makes it difficult, but what you have is all that you are going to get and you do the best that you can do under the circumstances.

I think it applies mostly to things that can't be changed. If you have a bad job, you don't have to play with that hand; you can get a better job. If your father, however, is an alcoholic, you can't change fathers; you must play with the hand (cards) you were dealt and make the best of it and work your life around the alcohol problems that come with your father in the best way that you can.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
You got to know when to hold - um, know when to fold - um. Know when to walk away, know when to run.

https://youtu.be/Jj4nJ1YEAp4

Just a little analogy /song regarding life/poker/card game.

Sooner or later this song would come to mind for some.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 07-04-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing