Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I agree about doing your draft/first thoughts on paper with a pen or pencil. I enjoy this much more than sitting in front of the computer (which is so OFFICIAL it is a bit intimidating). When I get something that I think is pretty good, it gets translated to the computer so I can see what it would look like in printed form. It seems easier to judge it then and do the subsequent drafts.

As to how to get started, just maybe start putting ideas down. I specialize in op ed type essays, and find that with some subjects, I really struggle to get a handle on anything; other subjects just seem to write themselves. If you keep putting ideas down, you will perhaps get a better handle on what interests you, and then you will find the ideas coming easier.
Do you also keep a notepad and pen handy by your bed? I can't count the number of times an idea has come to me just as I'm dozing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Do you also keep a notepad and pen handy by your bed? I can't count the number of times an idea has come to me just as I'm dozing off.
And then you say, 'Ohh, I'm sure to remember it!'

And then you don't.

So yes. I now always keep writing supplies at the bedside.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:36 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Ask yourself: what question are you trying to answer. If you want to write non-fiction, you must have something you want to tell people. What question do they have where you have the answer.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
I am afraid I can't help with the actual writing process. The things I write just pour out of me. I recently bought an app for my phone so I can write on the go while waiting for things or when I have some spare time. What I can help with, however, is the publishing process. I am getting close to publishing now and have been reading about the process. When your book is done and reviewed by you, you should get a "developmental" editor (for fiction) and then a copy editor. If you want to epublish then you still need to buy an ISBN (which is expensive) and pay to have the book converted and formatted to an ebook file. You should also register the book with the Library of Congress, which helps with copyright protection. Paper books can be printed on demand, but make sure you use a quality service since POD books can come out crappy.

I was actually thinking about starting a charity that helps new and "indy" writers publish books without paying huge fees or having your book torn apart by established for-profit publishing companies. You can save a lot of money by buying ISBNs in bulk. Anyway, that's another pipe dream for another day.

When you get closer to the publishing phase let me know I and I will try to help out more.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If I slept on my own I'd do that, because I often get ideas at night. But I don't want to disturb DH so don't do that. Usually I forget the wonderful idea I had the night before.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:32 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
If I slept on my own I'd do that, because I often get ideas at night. But I don't want to disturb DH so don't do that. Usually I forget the wonderful idea I had the night before.
Get a little headlamp and put it on your bed stand. A lot of ideas that come to a person at night like that are often some of the best you will ever have.

Or if the light isn't a good idea, buy yourself a little recorder and whisper the idea into it.

Or go get up,go to the bathroom and write it down there.

Don't let them go so easily. They are very fleeting as is, but I honestly believe that there are periods in the sleep cycle where the subconscious brain sets to work on some of the most vexing problems it has.

That's why Edison and many others always kept a pencil and a pad close by when sleeping.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Good ideas!

Old 08-26-2017, 01:23 PM

I used to have a pen that lit up. They might still sell these, or you could rubberband a penlight to a pencil/pen. Half the time I just write in the dark.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 AM

166 posts, read 170,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Write it by hand.
I tried. This is how i have scripted few short stories. But my hand hurts after a long writing session - feels numb and painful.

Last edited by leanah; 09-01-2017 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanah View Post
I tried. This is how i have scripted few short stories. But my hand hurts after a long writing session - feels numb and painful.
Hmmm...are you using the Vulcan Deathgrip on your writing implement? Do you press too hard? Is the pen, pencil, or whatever poorly balanced, too heavy, too thin, or too fat for your hand? Do you pause now and then to shake out your hands and massage them? Answering some of these questions might help with the pain. I have chronically sore hands myself.

But in the end, you have to do what works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing