Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 PM

859 posts, read 704,987 times

Advertisements

Hi all !
How's it going?

At the beginning, I know the grammar of using "so, very and too". I could misuse them sometimes. My question is: is it correct or safe if we use "so" in the place of "very" in all situations, which mean I can use "so" in the place of "very", but I can't use "very" in the place of "so" because, so has more branches. If I got confused between using "so" and "very" as example, using "so" will be safe in all cases.
Can I make such a general rule?
Ex:
-This morning is so cold.
-This morning is very cold.
-She is very beautiful.
-She is so beautiful.
-He is very good.
-He is so good.

Thank you very much or thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 01:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
In the case of "this morning it's very cold", the thought is complete.

In the case of "this morning it's so cold" there is an implied second half. "So" is actually half of the pair "so----that". So what's implied is "this morning it's so cold [that...phrase of your choice here]".

In other words, in both cases "very" and "so" are used as intensifiers, but there is a subtle stylistic difference. To native speakers of American English the subtle sub-meanings are understood, but may not be apparent to a non-native speaker. (I don't know about other varieties of English which is why I specified "American English".) To me the "very cold" version is less intense, more matter of fact, whereas I imagine the "so cold" version being said with more emphasis on the word "so", maybe even with a little imitation shivering and body language to emphasize it even further.

Both are correct and to me neither one has any potentially embarrassing connotations.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
What turf3 wrote is correct. Using "so" kind of implies that there will be more coming in the sentence. But it is certainly acceptable.

I like to use "very". It seems clearer to me. I might also use "really" as an intensifier.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

In the case of "this morning it's so cold" there is an implied second half. "So" is actually half of the pair "so----that". So what's implied is "this morning it's so cold [that...phrase of your choice here]".

In other words, in both cases "very" and "so" are used as intensifiers, but there is a subtle stylistic difference. To native speakers of American English the subtle sub-meanings are understood, but may not be apparent to a non-native speaker. (I don't know about other varieties of English which is why I specified "American English".) To me the "very cold" version is less intense, more matter of fact, whereas I imagine the "so cold" version being said with more emphasis on the word "so", maybe even with a little imitation shivering and body language to emphasize it even further.

Both are correct and to me neither one has any potentially embarrassing connotations.
Exactly. The first thing that popped into my mind was the old Johnny Carson classic "It was so cold out this morning I saw a dog stuck to a fire hydrant."

Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Yes, your comment is EXACTLY like what mentioned in the rule. When I try to answer some multiple choice exercises about this grammar, I found that there is a case where "so" is being used without "that" like the examples above where the sentence is always ended with a full stop. And one of the option is "Either so or very". Every time I choose one of them is considered wrong. "Either so or very" choice is the only correct answer according to what mentioned. So, according to this, I can conclude that "so" includes very but "very" not include "so".
There is something caught my attention in your comment, I'd like to ask about it but not related with "so"rule. When you rewrote my example above, you wrote it in this way:
"this morning it's very cold" while I wrote it like this" This morning is very cold"
I noticed that you added the pronounce "it" while the pronounce refers to "this morning". That's why I I just put a helping verb without pronounce, I feel like if I want to put "it" I would put a comma after this morning. I'm I wrong?

Thank you very much turf3

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 07-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
What turf3 wrote is correct. Using "so" kind of implies that there will be more coming in the sentence. But it is certainly acceptable.

I like to use "very". It seems clearer to me. I might also use "really" as an intensifier.
Clear!
According to the rule, there is "so very" term that used for intensifying also but I don't find it used a lot.
Some times, if I want to use an intensifier, I use" very very", this is not existed in English, you just can find it in my own lexical

Thank you very much LilyMae521

Last edited by Authentic Bird; 07-19-2018 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: to add "ing" to a word

Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Exactly. The first thing that popped into my mind was the old Johnny Carson classic "It was so cold out this morning I saw a dog stuck to a fire hydrant."
Is this idiom or proverb or literature? What does it mean?

Thank you vary much harry chickpea

Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Is this idiom or proverb or literature? What does it mean?

Thank you vary much harry chickpea
It is a part of a schtick. Think of it like a Zen koan to test your growth in understanding humor by exaggeration.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Understood it ! I didn't expect "humor". It seemed to me as separate sentences so that I didn't understand the meaning of it.
Thank you harry chickpea for your clarification

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Danny boy, oh, Danny boy, I love you so.

Sometimes the word just works the best of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing