Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM

409 posts, read 872,539 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of starting up writing again. I am pondering doing so using voice recognition software so I dictate as opposed to typing anything out. I would primarily be writing items such as short fiction at first, personal journal and personal correspondence.

What is the group's experiences/thoughts as to using such software to write. Has any particular brands/types of software been helpful or particularly unhelpful to doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
While I've never used voice recognition to write, I once used a pocket cassette recorder briefly to take notes on a piece I was preparing.

I discovered I write much more smoothly and more organized than I speak. And I say "Uhhh...." really a lot when I'm thinking.

It took far more effort to transcribe those voice notes and put them into something that approached organization than the recorder was worth for me. It only made the work harder.

When I'm writing, I can edit as I go because I read what I just wrote. I write slowly, but I speak even slower. So recording just messed up my writing process.

Everyone has their own ways, though, and it never hurts to experiment. Recording may work for you better than it did for me.

David Milch, the director/screenwriter of the HBO series "Deadwood" writes all his scripts by speaking while lying on the floor or a couch. His words are typed out onto a screen by a secretary, and he edits vocally as he goes. It works very well for him.

During the production of Deadwood, Milch would retreat into his trailer to revise a script that wasn't working, and he would come out with a revision very quickly using this method. He would sometimes bring in some actors, and they would contribute to the changes.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:15 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I'm thinking of starting up writing again. I am pondering doing so using voice recognition software so I dictate as opposed to typing anything out. I would primarily be writing items such as short fiction at first, personal journal and personal correspondence.

What is the group's experiences/thoughts as to using such software to write. Has any particular brands/types of software been helpful or particularly unhelpful to doing so?
Not for me. I can't even get Siri to understand me.

Give it a shot and see how it works and if you like it.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:01 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Well I sometimes use the rezzed voice recognition on my Kindle and it is rather disappointing I have to edit it very heavily. Perhaps other voice recognition software works a little better . Disappointingly I just dictated all of that came out pretty good .

Old 10-12-2018, 06:38 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
My bank has 16-million clients, After I had a stroke and my speech was slurred, I was still recognized on the phone and my identity confirmed..
i'm impressed.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Better hope you don't have even a trace of an accent.

Frankly I would rather spend time thinking about what I'm writing than correcting the garbage the machine puts down. Also, writing and speaking are quite different and people who dictate have to spend considerable time learning how to say things that will look right when typed. Investing in learning how to dictate properly made some sense in the days of manual typewriters and no correction ribbons, with a secretarial pool; but much less sense in the word processing age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing