U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 11:15 AM

973 posts, read 1,039,482 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the copywriting field, which pays well but isn't as writing- and research-heavy as I'd like.

Which areas in writing are heavily writing- and research-driven?

I've looked into it and it seems proposal writing may be a good fit. There's also medical writing, but I probably couldn't break into it without a medical background. (I studied marketing.)

Any others that you recommend checking out?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:51 AM

849 posts, read 469,255 times
The legal profession requires researchers, who often write the documents, too.

The US Intelligence Community requires researchers who then analyze the research, then write the report.

The law enforcement community requires researchers who then analyze the research, then write the report.

All three require training above and beyond your present apparent training.

And that's only three fields. There are many, many more out there. Just do the research.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:01 PM

14,467 posts, read 17,337,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The legal profession requires researchers, who often write the documents, too.
+1
After I retired from the field of education, I went back to college for certification as a Paralegal, and in that new career area I enjoyed the research that preceded the writing of most Court Complaints, as well as the extensive writing that was involved in drafting those Complaints.

If the OP already has a Bachelor's Degree, he/she would only need to take courses for certification as a Paralegal, rather than having to pursue a degree in that field. Depending on the college, that certification can usually be obtained in 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I'm currently in the copywriting field, which pays well but isn't as writing- and research-heavy as I'd like.

I've looked into it and it seems proposal writing may be a good fit. There's also medical writing, but I probably couldn't break into it without a medical background. (I studied marketing.)

Thanks in advance.
I've done engineering proposal writing. It was related to my pre-retirement career. I am not an engineer, but spent my life in the engineering industry related to public transportation.

If you can sit down with technical people and get the gist of the meaning of what they are trying to do and then translate it into English, you might be able to do something with that. Generally speaking, proposals for public agencies require technical information, but there is usually also a narrative portion of the proposal, and engineers as a general rule, with exceptions, of course, are more math and science focused and often not good writers and communicators to non-engineers. These proposals are usually not reviewed by technical types alone within the client agency, but also business line and financial people.

The proposal manager at most engineering companies has a marketing degree, not an engineering degree, and some firms do not have a proposal manager at all but hire independent contractors to do the preparation working with their technical people.

These types of proposals are usually for planning and design. The public only ever pays attention to construction that gets awarded as a "rip-and-read" bid, but a project begins long before that with the planning and design, and the solicitation for that is almost always a Request for Proposals (RFP).

Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 AM

1,194 posts, read 354,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Grant writing seems like it might be a good fit, considering what you outlined. It's a free-lance position, and you get paid by the job. You work only for non-profits.
If that's not what you want to do, then there's technical writing for B2B. I think investigative work like a claims adjuster requires heavy writing also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing