Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:32 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

Pour sods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 07:54 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
When I first came to City-Data, I was mystified that people would confuse "since" and "sense". They aren't homonyms...but then I realized that to some people, they ARE.

They are the people who pronounced "pin" and "pen" the same way. Which drives me NUTS, but I've learned to live with it because I'm not going to change it.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:29 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Pallet - palate - palette

I know it is weird and hard, but there are three different words, spelled differently, but pronounced similarly. Recently I’ve been seeing palette spelled pallet. I know I have seen palate spelled pallet as well.

When I hung out in weight loss forums, I used to see loose used for lose all the time.

Stuff like this bugs me.
Siri's (dictation) fault?

Old 10-27-2020, 09:58 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I first came to City-Data, I was mystified that people would confuse "since" and "sense". They aren't homonyms...but then I realized that to some people, they ARE.

They are the people who pronounced "pin" and "pen" the same way. Which drives me NUTS, but I've learned to live with it because I'm not going to change it.
It isn't as common these days, but the solution to "pen" and "pin" in the south was to call a pen an ink pin (which is really what a pen was in the old days - a flattened split pin with a blunted tip that was dipped in ink). A closely related linguistic shift was that "pie" was pronounced somewhat like "paa." I can't quite figure out the exact way to show the pronunciation, because there were subtle local twists where the timing and volume were important, like "PAA-eh" and "PehAAWW."

Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It isn't as common these days, but the solution to "pen" and "pin" in the south was to call a pen an ink pin (which is really what a pen was in the old days - a flattened split pin with a blunted tip that was dipped in ink). A closely related linguistic shift was that "pie" was pronounced somewhat like "paa." I can't quite figure out the exact way to show the pronunciation, because there were subtle local twists where the timing and volume were important, like "PAA-eh" and "PehAAWW."
I worked with people who came from the south or whose parents had come from the south who said "Ink pen". As a matter of fact, the first time I heard it was from one such woman at work who asked if I had a pin, and I said, "Like a safety pin?" She said, "No, an ink pin." That was probably thirty-five years ago, though.

I can hear it in newscasters who haven't quite conquered their old accents: "More on this later on the tin o'clock news."

It did explain the "since/sense" mixup, since a southerner would say both words the same way.

At least with my Jersey accent, I can spell tawk and cawfee.

My boyfriend laughs at me and tries to tell me that there is an "L" in a'ready. In turn, I tell him that those big birds gliding up in the sky looking for prey are not called "hocks".

Old 10-27-2020, 01:05 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
I still remember a witticism from a DJ on WABC radio, way back when Don McLean's song Vincent was a pop hit.

He timed this perfectly:

DJ: "And now, Don McLean will tell you how to redecorate your mouth."

Don (singing): "Paint your palette blue and gray..."

Old 10-27-2020, 03:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
saying axed instead of asked
that really bugs me

Old 10-27-2020, 03:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Pallet - palate - palette

I know it is weird and hard, but there are three different words, spelled differently, but pronounced similarly. Recently I’ve been seeing palette spelled pallet. I know I have seen palate spelled pallet as well.

When I hung out in weight loss forums, I used to see loose used for lose all the time.

Stuff like this bugs me.
The Loose/lose thing is soooo common. Drives me bonkers.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
But loose and lose are not homonyms - they're pronounced differently.

I was annoyed that a company I owned stock in that was trying to establish itself claimed on their website that they "poured over thousands of recordings to establish playlists." I was annoyed enough to send them an email pointing it out and got back not one, but two, emails telling me I was wrong. About three months later the error was corrected. No one contacted me - poor showing.
I did not mean to say that lose/loose were homonyms, but that their misuse bugs me the way the misuse of palate/pallet/palette bugs me.

Pour/pore confusion in official promo material! This is not a good look for a company.

But, English is a mess in many ways. Is it possible to have too many words?

Old 10-27-2020, 06:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Those guys! The "lack' and "like" people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing