Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,501,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Because these days not all "homeless" people are lazy bums, crazy people and drug addicts, but that's the first thing most people think when they hear the word homeless.

it's like the difference between a "used car lot" and a "pre-owned dealership" or a "trailer park" vs "mobile Home community"

Technically a remote worker who makes 40K a year who chooses to live in a decked out van(nicer than many efficiency apartments) is homeless even though he has more disposable income than people making much more than him(or her) because he/she freed up $800-$2,000 a month of their income. as vehicle maintenance is an expense you have whether you live in your vehicle or not and making your van livable is a one time expense while rent is forever and a mortgage is 30 years.

Almost a year ago I bought a used camper trailer that I have gotten livable(small kitchen stove and fridge, slide out office setup, flat screen monitor, bolted in gaming system fold out bed, generator, solar panels all stuff I already had, built myself or others have thrown away) just incase my property taxes get to a point where I can't afford them(they have more than doubled in the last 3 years do to the gentrification of my neighborhood), I can sell my house put the money in the bank and live in my trailer. I would technically then be homeless but living better than most who live in an apartment with more spending money in my pocket than I have now, so I would not be what people think of when they hear the word "homeless".

Digital nomads are a fast growing population as people are realizing how much of their income goes into holding on to traditional housing.
That’s not the same thing and you know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 09:15 PM

1,417 posts, read 720,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
That’s not the same thing and you know it.
can you elaborate?

Old 10-16-2021, 09:41 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,501,552 times
Being homeless (due to mental illness, drug addiction, etc) is not the same thing as “experiencing van life”. No one would confuse the two. The literal “home-less” is not commonly used in English to define those who have chosen alternative living situations.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:49 PM

1,417 posts, read 720,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Being homeless (due to mental illness, drug addiction, etc) is not the same thing as “experiencing van life”. No one would confuse the two. The literal “home-less” is not commonly used in English to define those who have chosen alternative living situations.
True it's not the same thing BUT technically when doing statistics they are lumped together, and it's fair to note that many nomads did not choose that life originally, as in they sold their house BEFORE they lost it(better to be homeless in a van than on the sidewalk or a tent) and used the money to buy a van and convert it to live in until they got on their feet, a few I've talked to eventually got another apartment or house then gave it up again because they got used to the freedom of not slaving away just to maintain a house or apartment. though unfortunately because their numbers have grown in recent years they have caught the attention of local lawmakers who view them as a drain on the community because they don't pay property tax's or rent to people and companies that pay property taxes so they are passing laws left and right to make life harder for them and to force them out of their cities and counties or relent and get back on the grid like nice little citizens , even though most of them are hurting no one.

Hell if I was in a relationship and she was a non materialistic woman, I would rent out my house and live in my trailer tomorrow. That's the only reason I'm not full time in my camper now, though I do go out for weeks at a time now and hitting van dweller meetups when they are in my area(testing to see if I could live that way full time, seems I'm a natural at it, but that's because I already liked camping which is why I already had a propane stovetop and generator.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:55 PM

10,834 posts, read 7,221,558 times
We were technically "homeless" for about 10 months. We didn't own a home or rent a domicile for more than a week at a time. We couch surfed and stayed in temporary housing.

It was a ton of fun; we visited 16 states. Of course, we had enough money to call it an adventure instead of desperation, and eventually bought another house.

Unhoused does seem more dire, like unhorsed means you were thrown from the saddle, while horseless describes most of us.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 947,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I have heard unhoused used recently instead of homeless, and thought it was strange. (I about it about it again after seeing a Trevor Noah piece on the Daily Show the other night). Is the term unhoused supposed to impart some sort of dignity to those living in tents under an overpass or something like that? I'm curious when this term for the homeless came into use and why it did. Anybody know?
You need to pick up the latest edition of the Newspeak dictionary. Words and meanings are changed to reflect current progressive theology.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:19 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,044,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
You need to pick up the latest edition of the Newspeak dictionary. Words and meanings are changed to reflect current progressive theology.
This even extends into real estate. As Realtors, we are advised to forego the term "master bedroom" and use the term "primary bedroom" (at least in New York State).
Enough is enough.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:45 AM

18,488 posts, read 15,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I have heard unhoused used recently instead of homeless, and thought it was strange. (I about it about it again after seeing a Trevor Noah piece on the Daily Show the other night). Is the term unhoused supposed to impart some sort of dignity to those living in tents under an overpass or something like that? I'm curious when this term for the homeless came into use and why it did. Anybody know?
I would think someone living in a temporary shelter is "homeless" but not "unhoused". A "home" is more than a "house" - it implies that a person identifies as living there for all purposes, with intention to have "roots". Lots of gray areas exist though such as college dorms and military deployments.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:28 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,559,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
You'll be behind the curve once more if you don't giddyap with 'shelter-challenged'!
I have been folliclely-challenged for decades.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:33 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,559,045 times
Using the word "unhoused" instead of the word "homeless" has nothing to do with the person living on the street. It is solely about the writer/speaker.

It is Virtue Signalling in the land of The Woke.

The Woke believe, more and more, that the world consists of two sets of people: The Woke, and The Deplorables; the latter are to be purged, shunned, disenfranchised and ultimately eliminated from mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing