Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Mine is about a guy who dreams about becoming a famous writer, but instead wastes all his time writing garbage on internet chat boards.
Boy does that ring a bell. I have the same problem but get distracted with emails and CD. You guys have some great ideas. I guess all it takes is to start. I actually sat down about two years ago and didn't stop until I wrote a short novel. It's OK, probably, the way it is, but I decided I wanted to expand it, and there it sits on my hard drive waiting for me to reread it and see what I can add. Here's the pitch I wrote in case I ever talk to an agent or publisher. I'd like to share it with all you other writers here:

Though he may be helpless against adults, both those that nurture him and those that seek to do him harm, ten year old Bobby Flynn is still a male, and being male implies looking out for one’s self, defending one’s honor, defeating one’s enemies, and if necessary, exacting revenge. Regardless of his age, it’s inherent, inborn, innate…it’s a ‘guy’ thing.

It is1950; a small town in West Virginia; a 10 year old boy from a poor family is raped by someone he thought he could look up to, thus devastating his already low self-esteem. Too afraid and embarrassed to report the crime, he resorts to boyish fantasies to make up for the loss of childhood innocence and to regain his self-respect. When a local coal miner is accidentally blown to bits, little Bobby Flynn, with the unsuspecting help of his three best buddies, literally stumbles upon a way to exact revenge. But as he discovers in this poignant but darkly humorous tale, revenge is not always sweet, and a childhood lost is never regained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
I started to write a short story about the world being taken over by a dictator from another planet. He's here to prevent the Earth from destroying itself via stupid ecological practices. I call it "The Dictator Wore Green" which would make one think of someone like Castro before actually knowing what the story was about. I've sent the story to myself via Registered Mail because I've been told that this is a way of protecting your rights as far as copyright is concerned. I just thought it was a timely idea for a story like this. It made me think of the film "The Day The Earth Stood Still" which is one of my favorites. As I have gotten more and more into writing it, I realized that I needed to do some research so that I can make his interplanetary travel to get here seem realistic. I wanted to open the story up with him en route to here, so the beginning is still not worked out. Don't know if I'll ever finish this, but I'll try.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Default Death

I haven't finished it on paper, but I did write a story based on actual events in Beltsville, Maryland, and I embellished it. The story centers on a woman who goes insane when her husband is killed in a car-to-train accident in the 1930's right by their house at a dangerous train crossing.(Odell Road)

She keeps the mangled car, his bloody clothing, and even sets the table for him. It sounds morbid, but it isn't. Her home stays just the way it was when he died. She even dresses the same.

When she reaches 60, she has an affair with a 24 year old man from a hardware store who comes to "bang her porch". She marries him, eventually. It's a good story with a lot of overlapping layers, and a surprise ending. When we have a good plot, it's like biting into a perfect piece of pie. My story is titled "Frederick's Crossing."

Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I started to write a short story about the world being taken over by a dictator from another planet. He's here to prevent the Earth from destroying itself via stupid ecological practices. I call it "The Dictator Wore Green" which would make one think of someone like Castro before actually knowing what the story was about. I've sent the story to myself via Registered Mail because I've been told that this is a way of protecting your rights as far as copyright is concerned. I just thought it was a timely idea for a story like this. It made me think of the film "The Day The Earth Stood Still" which is one of my favorites. As I have gotten more and more into writing it, I realized that I needed to do some research so that I can make his interplanetary travel to get here seem realistic. I wanted to open the story up with him en route to here, so the beginning is still not worked out. Don't know if I'll ever finish this, but I'll try.
There is a small town in Minnesota called Elysian. Northeast of the town is a small forest nearby a lake which name escapes me. Anyway, within the forest is a portal that can help you access other worlds. It is said the portal only opens 2 to 3 times a year. This would be a great place to do your research on space travel. Many residents of the town have reported seeing UFO's and strange wildlife over the years as far back as the Indian settlements. These weird sightings are attributed to the portal. THe portal is ringed by a rock circle of about 20 feet in diameter.The locals do not speak about it much but several will discuss some of the happenings if you promise not to print or publish anything on the area. I know their secret is safe here as no one takes anything seriously on the forums. So enjoy and don't be surprised if you are surprised!

Hope this helps?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
I would write about how to be a child of God. We grow up fast, too fast for reason. Some of us never mature. Some of us remain the apple of our parents eyes. Some of us don't quite fit under anyones apple tree and we don't know why. It would be a book in humor and fact, straight to the point. The point being we will always be or have been someone's child - and while our parents are not always available for comment - God is. (smile)

Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM

22 posts, read 43,445 times
I was thinking of writing a book/novel about my experience with my narcissistic boyfriend of seven years on and off. I am trying to just be friends with him now but it's hard because I still love him. As a subplot, I would also include my family conflicts. Maybe it will heal me. Hopefully it will help other women and be a different kind of relationship book/novel. Does this sound interesting?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKGirl34 View Post
I was thinking of writing a book/novel about my experience with my narcissistic boyfriend of seven years on and off. I am trying to just be friends with him now but it's hard because I still love him. As a subplot, I would also include my family conflicts. Maybe it will heal me. Hopefully it will help other women and be a different kind of relationship book/novel. Does this sound interesting?

Very interesting.....I liked the ideas.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
I would probably write some kind of psychological thriller.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Mona View Post
Okay , I want to write a book or a play about muslim arab who are living in middle east in particular , and muslim people in general . I will explain in detalis lots of information about Islam , Actually I am not very good in religions but I will read some books to help me about .and also I will describe the culture of muslim countries ..their principals and their beliefs .The media and the politics draw different pictures about muslim people and that is the problem . I will concentrate on one big thing that muslim arab are not terrorists at all, they are very very peaceful .. They hate and fear about terrorism ,all acts of violence as you are.
The one thing you need to know is the Koran is a an old book. The Jews, and Arabs have been fighting over religion ever since Moses led the Jews out of Egypt. Read the Koran and then the Torah from cover to cover. . The Middle East is a brutal land where women are trapped and governed by harsh law. They hate the wars that kill their babies, but they are powerless to stop it.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It would beabout what i know;the people and area I live in. Too many times those writing abotu a area tehy don't really know get it all wrong because it takes years to really feel the atmosphere and unstand the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing