U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,071,040 times
Reputation: 34336

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
So how much money do you make from your writing?

Seriously, excellent post.
Why, thank you. And enough. Typically 8-10 hour days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,071,040 times
Reputation: 34336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So am I a writer?? I don't know if I'm a writer. I've been a left brained tech head my whole life. Never had any interest in writing or expressing myself, until recently. The OP makes a point of telling us to write for the love of writing, not the money. Also we shouldn't be in love with the "idea" of being a "writer." We should should spend 30 min a day just writing. We should also network, or join a critic group.

Wise words I'm sure. I have no doubt about that. The OP is one of the most eloquent writers this forum has ever seen.

I'm just curious how important structure is to writing. I don't really know any of the "mechanics" of writing, other then the college structure of "argumentative" writing, which seems a little boring to me. Does anyone have any suggestions, I know a a cliché question. I should look it up. I'm particular in the sense of being a gearhead, and not a stereotypical "writer" type.
You know, Chow, at this point, I don't even think there are mechanics to the craft. I think there are broad principles to be followed and, sometimes, disobeyed.

It's interesting to me the answers this post has garnered. Some have taken it to heart, while others have been absolutely hostile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,607,032 times
Reputation: 2471
Quote:
MightyQueen801: Sounds good. I have been a real-life disaster junkie since childhood, but made-up ones work for me, too.
I know this thread is particularly about writing...although I am writing about it now...so it fits in.. When I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and worked in the School of Journalism, I used to perversely collect stories of lightning strikes! I couldn't stop myself. Everytime a new periodical or newspaper from around the state came in, I cut out all the lightning strike stories! I used to take them with me to meet my best friend at a local restaurant after work and then detail each story over nachos. She wasn't exactly pleased by my obsession, however, she did humor me about it, so she was a good sport! Ha ha!

At least I'm not the only one obsessed by the strange and horrific! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM
 
25,156 posts, read 27,071,040 times
Reputation: 34336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I know this thread is particularly about writing...although I am writing about it now...so it fits in.. When I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and worked in the School of Journalism, I used to perversely collect stories of lightning strikes! I couldn't stop myself. Everytime a new periodical or newspaper from around the state came in, I cut out all the lightning strike stories! I used to take them with me to meet my best friend at a local restaurant after work and then detail each story over nachos. She wasn't exactly pleased by my obsession, however, she did humor me about it, so she was a good sport! Ha ha!

At least I'm not the only one obsessed by the strange and horrific! Thanks!
You know, that would make a seriously cool non-fiction book. Think The Perfect Storm or Into Thin Air. The book buying public eats that stuff up with a spoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 PM
 
27,713 posts, read 21,758,473 times
Reputation: 25423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I know this thread is particularly about writing...although I am writing about it now...so it fits in.. When I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and worked in the School of Journalism, I used to perversely collect stories of lightning strikes! I couldn't stop myself. Everytime a new periodical or newspaper from around the state came in, I cut out all the lightning strike stories! I used to take them with me to meet my best friend at a local restaurant after work and then detail each story over nachos. She wasn't exactly pleased by my obsession, however, she did humor me about it, so she was a good sport! Ha ha!

At least I'm not the only one obsessed by the strange and horrific! Thanks!
Hey, I would have enjoyed the lightning stories--but have you considered writing about that little obsession somewhere other than here? I'll read it and eat nachos while I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,607,032 times
Reputation: 2471
Wow, who knew people would be interested in lightning strikes???

I'll consider that -- I'm retiring soon, and wondering how in the world I will use my writing skills (I do have a "diary" going, but won't reveal what it is about - NO, not lightning strikes!). I know I missed my calling....so sad... Natural talent should be used. But lightning strikes?! Well, okay, I'm game. They ARE pretty interesting!

Thanks for the support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM
 
27,713 posts, read 21,758,473 times
Reputation: 25423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, who knew people would be interested in lightning strikes???

I'll consider that -- I'm retiring soon, and wondering how in the world I will use my writing skills (I do have a "diary" going, but won't reveal what it is about - NO, not lightning strikes!). I know I missed my calling....so sad... Natural talent should be used. But lightning strikes?! Well, okay, I'm game. They ARE pretty interesting!

Thanks for the support!
No no no, you didn't miss your calling--that's your new beginning for retirement. That's MY plan, too, and I need company amongst all the fetuses. I've had a few things published but had the full-time job, raised a daughter--she's in college and I can (technically) retire in four years. I'm making sure I write a little each day. One guideline said write 250 words or 15 minutes, whichever comes first -- about anything -- just to keep yourself writing. Anne Lamott, the author of Bird by Bird (a great book for writers and very humorous) says she tells herself she will write enough each day to fill the picture frame that sits on her desk.

Read this:

Writer’s Digest - Publish Your First Book After 50#

And look again at the title of this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,607,032 times
Reputation: 2471
Quote:
MightyQueen801: No no no, you didn't miss your calling--that's your new beginning for retirement. That's MY plan, too, and I need company amongst all the fetuses. I've had a few things published but had the full-time job, raised a daughter--she's in college and I can (technically) retire in four years.
I love that: "I need company among all the fetuses." Haha!!

That article was interesting -- but THIS section:
"AVOID ALL REFERENCES TO THE “R” WORD. “Retirement” conjures up images of mobile homes and leisure time—something you, as a career novelist, are unlikely to have much of once your book is released. When you’re talking to agents and editors, or querying them by mail, you’re not retired."

OMG! (see, I can relate to the fetuses! Ha ha! ) -- You mean I can't mention my MOBILE HOME I live in next to the beach!!??? I just got out of the redwoods, and to the beach, and now I have to pretend??

Actually, I've kept an on-line diary for years -- but it's a specific topic that only people into that specific topic would like specifically -- if you know what I mean.... So, I don't usually announce it unless someone knows me or finds it on their own.

My daughter just started college, too. As a single parent, it's been hard to find a lot of extra time. Now that I'm in my mobile home (!), I'm getting ready to have more time. (No golf course here, though -- although we do have a pool! )

Well, we should stay in touch and be a part of an online support system for older writers -- only we won't let "them" know. Maybe even a support thread for those over 50 (Only AARP Eligible May Apply).

Thanks -- good post.
Wisteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
 
27,713 posts, read 21,758,473 times
Reputation: 25423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I love that: "I need company among all the fetuses." Haha!!

That article was interesting -- but THIS section:
"AVOID ALL REFERENCES TO THE “R” WORD. “Retirement” conjures up images of mobile homes and leisure time—something you, as a career novelist, are unlikely to have much of once your book is released. When you’re talking to agents and editors, or querying them by mail, you’re not retired."

OMG! (see, I can relate to the fetuses! Ha ha! ) -- You mean I can't mention my MOBILE HOME I live in next to the beach!!??? I just got out of the redwoods, and to the beach, and now I have to pretend??

Actually, I've kept an on-line diary for years -- but it's a specific topic that only people into that specific topic would like specifically -- if you know what I mean.... So, I don't usually announce it unless someone knows me or finds it on their own.

My daughter just started college, too. As a single parent, it's been hard to find a lot of extra time. Now that I'm in my mobile home (!), I'm getting ready to have more time. (No golf course here, though -- although we do have a pool! )

Well, we should stay in touch and be a part of an online support system for older writers -- only we won't let "them" know. Maybe even a support thread for those over 50 (Only AARP Eligible May Apply).

Thanks -- good post.
Wisteria
That's a good idea about the online group. I would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: NYC
248 posts, read 656,708 times
Reputation: 191
This is a great post. I am calling myself a writer in the hopes that I will live up to the title. I teach full-time and have no plans to quit. Plus, I get lots of ideas from my interactions with my kids and colleagues. I just started contributing to a pretty widely-read blog about education in NYC, which is where I teach.

My students and I are going to do NaNoWriMo this year, which we are all pretty excited about. Though I think my long-term focus will be more on articles/essays than fiction. I have one essay ready to shop around (I took a continuing ed class about writing for publication- definitely a good move and something I'd recommend) and I also have an idea for a non-fiction picture book for older kids.

Finding the time is the biggest challenge. I also have a 2 year old, so I can get stuff done in dribs and drabs, but it's not really ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top