Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times

Advertisements

I think this is one of those words which has been changed over time. I always thought only advisor was correct. The Free Dictionary advisor - definition of advisor by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. is showing both. This source is my first go-to when I'm online and getting the 'iffy' result from the spell checker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
* I have long held the belief that the correct spelling is advisor, not adviser. Spell check tells me otherwise. A web search would indicate that spell check is wrong, as both spellings are interchangeable. See here:
What is correct: advisor or adviser? - Yahoo! Answers
"Adviser" has been Associated Press style for as long as I've held a stylebook in my grubby little hands.

Quite a few arguments have been settled by my whipping out the handy dandy AP Stylebook. It's my bible.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I cannot read im and dont as I'm and don't. My fifties and sixties-schooled brain won't allow that. Whatever happened to the concept of contractions? Or capitalizing I? Or capitalizing anything that needs it, for that matter? Capitalizing serves a purpose.

On another note, I posted the following to my Facebook wall yesterday: "People who don't use punctuation should be hung by the neck until dead."

The nasty replies were posted by, you guessed it, the ones who don't punctuate.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.

What has happened to our educational system?
Answer: the FEDS and Unions are in control

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I cannot read im and dont as I'm and don't. My fifties and sixties-schooled brain won't allow that. Whatever happened to the concept of contractions? Or capitalizing I? Or capitalizing anything that needs it, for that matter? Capitalizing serves a purpose.
I second the nomination of the candidate from Fontana Sur!

Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

On another note, I posted the following to my Facebook wall yesterday: "People who don't use punctuation should be hung by the neck until dead."

The nasty replies were posted by, you guessed it, the ones who don't punctuate.
I don't care if I'm scribbling a note, sending an email, or posting on a Forum. Proper spelling and grammer is impotent. Just kidding.

I hate this lack of respect for the language.

yes, I know, grammar and important

Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 PM

176 posts, read 522,684 times
Default dumbed down

I know what you mean.

I love quiz shows so I watch Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? quite often.

She is not the exception, but the rule. I am shocked at the ignorance.

One recent contestant who teachs World Geography!! thought the Bastile was in Rome!

Good Grief!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I teach undergraduates online. If I had a dollar for each of the following mistakes I see each week, I would be a very, very rich person:

1) confusion between "there," "their," and "they're."
2) confusion between "your" and "you're."
3) confusion between "which" and "witch" (I couldn't make this up!)
4) confusion between "whether" and "weather" (again, I couldn't make this up)
5) and, finally, the coup de gras, use of the word "defiantly" for "definitely" (I HATE this one with the fire of 10,000 suns!).

Do kids in high school even have to write anything anymore? Some of what I see in undergraduates makes me want to throw myself off the nearest bridge, truly. What is going on in American high schools (and middle schools)?

Thank you spell check. Well, that and the fact that kids are required to learn spelling words as they relate to their reading story instead of a list of basic words like "lose" instead of "loose."

Silly me, while I think it's great that when my daughter was 8 years old she could spell "pharmacist," "turquoise," and "antidisestablishmentariansim" <oops, sarcasm filter off for the last one, but the rest are real> from her spelling list, she spelled "very" like "verry" and "people" like "pepole" in her writing.

I know I make mistakes as most humans do, but the last thing I rely on when writing is spell check.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
I think language is, and perhaps should be, contextual. Not to offend, but people who insist on grammatical correctness in all communication seem to me to be a bit anal.

So things such as internetspeak to me are acceptable, since it's an informal context. And also, written language is purely social convention, so why is internet speak a bad thing? The rules of the English language are not fixed absolutes, they change over time.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 AM

65 posts, read 92,977 times
Unhappy I'm Sorry.

I will admit to being one of "those people" who do not capitilize. I'm sorry. I didn't realize it offended people so much. I will endeaver to do better. If I misspell, it's often because I'm trying to type faster than my brain and/or fingers work, so as not to loose my train of thought. I do try to check my spelling afterwards, and keep a dictionary close but sometimes I simply don't notice any misspellings, due to my own ignorance. YES, I do run on sentences. (You may have already noticed). I haven't figured out how to tab down for next paragraph yet. Any help there would be appreciated. So, I understand your frustrations, but please don't pre judge and dismiss us. We might have something interesting to say but have a harder time expressing it than most. Thank you, Ne'Ne'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing