U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
 
Location: I'm around here someplace :)
1,667 posts, read 2,028,567 times
Reputation: 946

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.

What has happened to our educational system?
"themself"?

o.k., seriously, one thing I've found that bugs me the most in this particular region is people using the wrong tense of words... I don't care much when they're speaking, but reading it really ticks me off... especially since one of the biggest "grammatical offenders" is the governor- who used to be a High School teacher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Status: "Almost time for Fun Friday!" (set 3 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
36,779 posts, read 19,932,010 times
Reputation: 21849
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.

What has happened to our educational system?

I saw something in the blogs not too long ago that made me want to kick the computer screen to the moon. There was a realtor (name withheld, of course) making a blog about helping others with realty needs. It looks like he's new in the business, but his spelling suggests he definitely hadn't been to college. So I know what you mean about what some would deem as "little bitty things", but they are actually big things. This is soooooo sad.

I don't know if I can blame the teachers entirely, but parents and (especially!!!) students need to get it together. America is dying, and it's largely because of apathy and people's ignorant attitudes toward our language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times
Reputation: 16144
If I encounter one more instance of "where" for "were", I'll have a cerebral vascular accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,059 posts, read 20,035,114 times
Reputation: 10141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If I encounter one more instance of "where" for "were", I'll have a cerebral vascular accident.
How about "which" for "that?" (It's enough to make you toss your cookies, assuming you weren't having one of those cerebral vascular accidents at the time!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:57 AM
 
27,941 posts, read 22,163,650 times
Reputation: 25690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If I encounter one more instance of "where" for "were", I'll have a cerebral vascular accident.
I have not seen so many examples of "loose" for "lose" (including "loosing") as I have on C-D. Is this some sort of new epidemic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
 
27,941 posts, read 22,163,650 times
Reputation: 25690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
How about "which" for "that?" (It's enough to make you toss your cookies, assuming you weren't having one of those cerebral vascular accidents at the time!)
Yes, it's painful. I see that in documents at work all the time and correct it whenever I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,358 posts, read 6,991,338 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have not seen so many examples of "loose" for "lose" (including "loosing") as I have on C-D. Is this some sort of new epidemic?
Next time you are thinking of curling up with a horror movie, I'll save you the time and trouble. Just imagine twenty years from now, when society no longer knows the difference between 'loser' and 'looser' and has swung to spell both the latter way--and starts correcting you for spelling it 'the old way.' If that doesn't make you need someone to hold you, you're a tough cookie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
8,501 posts, read 7,745,409 times
Reputation: 4709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have not seen so many examples of "loose" for "lose" (including "loosing") as I have on C-D. Is this some sort of new epidemic?

No, it's everywhere. I see it alot. Don't get me started on that one.

And if I see walla one more time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
1,384 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Reputation: 953
I am in school right now to become a teacher and the other day we had some real teachers come in and be guest speakers. For midddle school, they say one of their biggest problems is that children are so into texting that it reflects in their report writing. She mentioned that throughout one girl's report she had used "u" (instead of "you"). I never thought about how texting is making children learn to use bad, quick grammar. Anyhow, just food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: BOY-see
4,358 posts, read 6,991,338 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I am in school right now to become a teacher and the other day we had some real teachers come in and be guest speakers. For midddle school, they say one of their biggest problems is that children are so into texting that it reflects in their report writing. She mentioned that throughout one girl's report she had used "u" (instead of "you"). I never thought about how texting is making children learn to use bad, quick grammar. Anyhow, just food for thought
I should think that message boards would have displayed this to you by now, but if they haven't, thank whatever gods you serve. I used to be a moderator on a college football and video game board, and it got very old. If I read 'u r a looser' one more time, I'm going to reach right through the monitor, grab the little brat by both ears and bang his or her head on my computer desk until s/he abjures this usage for life (or goes comatose, in which case I'll wait until the kids wakes up and resume the beating).

A great deal could be solved if teachers could, would, simply return for rewriting any paper including any form of text-speak. It would be even better if they were allowed to lash them with a sjambok for it, but I suppose we'll have to settle for what we might get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top