U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 AM

11,160 posts, read 4,553,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No, it's everywhere. I see it alot. Don't get me started on that one.

And if I see walla one more time...

Do you mean as phonetic spelling for voila? (Sorry, don't know how to do diacriticals online...) Isn't the use of phonetics a separate issue? Though worthy of conversation, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM

4,291 posts, read 6,548,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Do you mean as phonetic spelling for voila? (Sorry, don't know how to do diacriticals online...) Isn't the use of phonetics a separate issue? Though worthy of conversation, I think.
How to do diacriticals online is to consult an extended ASCII chart. Lower case A with an accent grave is character #133. Hold down Alt while typing 133 on the numeric pad, and...voilà. The lower case C with cédille, as in Français, is Alt-135. This at least handles French, Spanish, Scandinavian languages and Turkish, probably more. Alt + the number will produce the indicated character. That's also how you get the £, ¢, º, ¿, ¡ and other useful little puppies.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM

8,178 posts, read 7,110,151 times
Quote:

You would spell voilà w-a-l-l-a when writing? Since most people don't read much anymore, to them walla makes sense.

But, it's already been stated that the use of proper English and grammar is at an all time low, so it's a mute point.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM

4,291 posts, read 6,548,692 times
Quote:
But, it's already been stated that the use of proper English and grammar is at an all time low, so it's a mute point.
Clever!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM

16,589 posts, read 19,116,780 times
Quote:
(Sorry, don't know how to do diacriticals online...)
Voilà!

A list of ASCII Codes - UseYourBrain.co.uk

Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 AM

8,178 posts, read 7,110,151 times
Mute point, it's usually the Sports Talk audience that calls in using that term. I'm lucky I had a pre-law room mate or I might have said the same thing.

Years ago when I served on a condo council, the president of the board, who was college educated, got into an argument with a home owner. She kept saying over and over that it was a MUTE POINT. I almost busted out laughing.

(Is busted out correct?).

Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,337,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
"themself"?

o.k., seriously, one thing I've found that bugs me the most in this particular region is people using the wrong tense of words... I don't care much when they're speaking, but reading it really ticks me off... especially since one of the biggest "grammatical offenders" is the governor- who used to be a High School teacher!
Doh! Haha...I am not perfect and I do not claim to be. But, at least my writing and speaking is legible and coherent. I cannot say the same for the vast majority of the people that I run into.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You would spell voilà w-a-l-l-a when writing? . . .
Nope, I'd spell it "waa-LAH", if I were doing it in phonetics.

And thanks, everyone, for your references on the diacriticals; I'll have to work at this more assiduously.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Mute point, it's usually the Sports Talk audience that calls in using that term. I'm lucky I had a pre-law room mate or I might have said the same thing.

Years ago when I served on a condo council, the president of the board, who was college educated, got into an argument with a home owner. She kept saying over and over that it was a MUTE POINT. I almost busted out laughing.

(Is busted out correct?).
Ummm, no, I don't think so.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 PM

165 posts, read 208,948 times
It should be, of course, moot.

(I always wanted own seaside property, so I could name it "Moot Point." The house on it would've been "Slipshod Manor.")

And the other term should have been burst out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing