Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 09:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Even in newspapers such as the New York Times, apparently a bathroom is all things to all people: a restroom, a toilet, a washroom, and yes, a private residence's room in which you can do any of those things.

So yes, my pet peeve is people using the term bathroom when they are referring to a public restroom. I don't know why, but that just sounds so imprecise and uneducated to me. I remember being corrected as a child but apparently there is no distinction now? I used to only hear children make the mistake by calling their school restrooms bathrooms but now it's happening everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 10:06 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Powder room
Loo
Water closet
The necessary
little girl's (boy's) room
Ladies (men's) room

Where can I wash my hands?
I need to powder my nose.

Lots of euphemisms for one little room; so what's one more?

Old 10-11-2021, 10:08 AM

86 posts, read 65,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Even in newspapers such as the New York Times, apparently a bathroom is all things to all people: a restroom, a toilet, a washroom, and yes, a private residence's room in which you can do any of those things.

So yes, my pet peeve is people using the term bathroom when they are referring to a public restroom. I don't know why, but that just sounds so imprecise and uneducated to me. I remember being corrected as a child but apparently there is no distinction now? I used to only hear children make the mistake by calling their school restrooms bathrooms but now it's happening everywhere.
My house has two bathrooms. One of them doesn't have a bathtub in it. Yet it is still called a bathroom. It's no more of a misnomer than restroom. I don't rest in either of them. A half bathroom doesn't even have a shower, just a toilet and sink.

The function of language is communication, and here the meaning is very clear. The only 'issue' I can see is that the root of the word bathroom reflects something - ie, a bath - that some things called bathrooms don't have. But English absolutely teems with such words, so it's hard to see why using bathroom for a public place to urinate and/or defecate is a problem. Expecting words not to stray from the literal definitions of all their roots is folly.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:14 AM

765 posts, read 620,525 times
I still use "restroom" but "public bathroom" is as obvious a term as any other.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:01 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Since this is the writing section, let's move the topic into writing. If you're going to write about a facility that's not in your house, and/or does not contain a bath/shower, then by all means don't write "bathroom." Write whatever word you want. Author's choice, and your editor won't get excited about it one way or another.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:13 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:

But why call it a restroom? You don't go there to rest.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:54 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
You could be "quite Continental" and just call it "the toilet".

At the resort where I worked, that's what all the Europeans called it. The signs too (in Europe).

I've noticed in books, no one seems to need the "facilities" anyway!

Old 10-11-2021, 03:04 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Ever heard of a sponge bath? A sponge bath is entirely possible in a public "restroom."

Restroom itself is a misnomer, and probably a hangover from the days when there were entry rooms to the toilets with couches and ashtrays, where people could sit or lie down and have a smoke.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:08 PM

61,643 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:

Yeah, no bathtub there...

But with the 2" gaps around the door frame, you can't rest there either ...

Old 10-11-2021, 03:25 PM

61,643 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
You could be "quite Continental" and just call it "the toilet".

At the resort where I worked, that's what all the Europeans called it. The signs too (in Europe).

I've noticed in books, no one seems to need the "facilities" anyway!
Right, but toilets in Europe look different. They separate the cabins from the hand wash area. Those are two separate rooms with doors. And of course, no gaps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing