Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are many different kinds of pins, so in spoken discourse, it is necessary to distinguish the PIN number from other kinds of pins. If your meaning is in doubt, would you call it a "PI Number"?

I would think the meaning would be clear from the context.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I'm sort of seeing a guy who twice now has said "long jeopardy" instead of "longevity".

That's cuz he can't see the farce for the trees.

(you can't make that stuff up)

Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
The word sightseeing has been replaced with "site seeing" by dozens of Trip Advisor members. I have not seen it spelled correctly in recent memory.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Ink pen." I suppose to distinguish from a lead pen?

ROFL, but I think that's for the people who pronounce "pen" the same way they pronounce "pin". For some reason, a good chunk of the US does not seem to realize that there is a "short e" sound and says it all like a short "i". What they are really saying is "Ink pin". First time I heard this, it was a woman at work from the south. She asked me for a pin. I said, "a safety pin"? She said, "no, an ink pin".

Even the robo voice on my work phone says "please inter your ID number". And I even hear anchorpersons say "Tin O'clock news."

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would think the meaning would be clear from the context.
That cannot be taken for granted. The reason words have fairly precise definitions is because meanings are not always clear from context.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My son always cringes at MLB baseball, NFL football, NASCAR auto racing, etc. that the preview channel writes.
He also cringes at the above mentioned.
There was a time when "NFL football" was the only concise expression what would distinguish it from AFL football, a competing league which has since merged with the NFL It is still necessary to distinguish, on TV listings, for example, NFL Football from College Football.

If I caught a foul ball at a game, and handed it to you, would you expect me to say "This is an officail MLB baseball", or could I just say "This is an official MLB". MLB is an acronym for a specific corporate entity, and "MLB baseball" is the game that is sanctioned by that organization. And the ball they use. Just as a can of ESSO oil can be put in your crankcase, and you'd better be sure that you speficy "Esso oil" before the attendant puts Esso gasoline in your engine, even though your son cringes because the "O" stands for "oil"..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That cannot be taken for granted. The reason words have fairly precise definitions is because meanings are not always clear from context.
I would think that any discussion of a peronal identification number would have sufficient context to know that was a PIN and not some other pin, such as a safety pin.

Quote:
There was a time when "NFL football" was the only concise expression what would distinguish it from AFL football, a competing league which has since merged with the NFL It is still necessary to distinguish, on TV listings, for example, NFL Football from College Football.

If I caught a foul ball at a game, and handed it to you, would you expect me to say "This is an officail MLB baseball", or could I just say "This is an official MLB". MLB is an acronym for a specific corporate entity, and "MLB baseball" is the game that is sanctioned by that organization. And the ball they use. Just as a can of ESSO oil can be put in your crankcase, and you'd better be sure that you speficy "Esso oil" before the attendant puts Esso gasoline in your engine, even though your son cringes because the "O" stands for "oil"..
The baseball and football terms are irrelevant because the second use of the word football or baseball does not refer to the same word as used in the acronym. For Esso oil, you would indeed need to specify oil because Esso also sells gasoline. Also, Esso is now a name in itself and is not truly an acronym.

But saying ATM machine or PIN number is redundant. If you expand the acronym into its full words, you see the reason. What you get is nonsense: automated teller machine machine or personal identification number number. The second use of the word does not add any useful information.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ink pen." I suppose to distinguish from a lead pen?

ROFL, but I think that's for the people who pronounce "pen" the same way they pronounce "pin". For some reason, a good chunk of the US does not seem to realize that there is a "short e" sound and says it all like a short "i". What they are really saying is "Ink pin". First time I heard this, it was a woman at work from the south. She asked me for a pin. I said, "a safety pin"? She said, "no, an ink pin".

Even the robo voice on my work phone says "please inter your ID number". And I even hear anchorpersons say "Tin O'clock news."
Language Log » Pin or pen?

And from the link above:

http://real.ksl.com/video/slc/2/231/23149.mp3

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-04-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
I heard a young woman complaining today because she has applied for several jobs and hasn't had a received a job offer. She said, "They are all keeping me in lingo."

Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
That cannot be taken for granted.
Which I have heard as "taken for granite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing