Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times

Advertisements

A very typical blustery day up there by the Veedauwoo's ...

Winds reported right now as 40 mph average, with 53 mph gusts, air temp -1F in bright sunshine. The winds were stronger at 3AM, and the still air temp was a bit lower .... the conditions are actually improving!

The winds are blowing the existing snow around to an extent that the WHP has closed I-80 all the way from Cheyenne to Laramie. Happy Jack Road is closed for most of the way, too. The result is you're not going anywhere from this area for awhile. My friends south of Granite Canyon are dealing with serious wind chill just to be outside to feed their livestock, and know they're not coming to visit for Thanksgiving today ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,198 times
Close to a decent sized city with real opportunity, decent priced housing, mountains, hunting.... this guy should consider Spokane area instead.

There isn't much opportunity or ANY decent housing, with or without land, available near Sheridan for under $300k, at least nothing you would want to live in.

Don't ask the locals about decent housing, most of them have never seen it. I live in a $260k, 1800 sq. ft. 1967 built, run-down split level with 1981 appliances and carpet that is the envy of everyone who sees it. Most people in Sheridan who earn less than $150k a year combined live in absolute dumps but don't tell them that since they don't know any better.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
there is a place in story going cheap......5.4 million nice house

Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 AM

24 posts, read 56,745 times
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here too even though the post is 6 mo. old. I've seen a lot of people move here to buy up 5-40 acre land plots and throw too many cattle/horses on as a hobby. The grass dies out and weeds fill it in very quickly. Though this wasn't mentioned by anyone as their intention, but many people just paruse this site and should know that the land can't support that type of use and in many areas irrigation is not possible. I only mow my lawn once per year because it only grows in the spring. After living here for a few years I can say that this is the most yellow landscape for most of the year. Most of the countryside is only deep green for May/June in my area and then fades and stays yellow/lime green.

Land that is suitable or close for hunting is expensive because realtors have people that buy up such properties just to have hunting properties in state. Consider it fortunate if you stumble upon an area that has close access to big game and has modern housing within a middle class budget.

Don't move here without at least one member of your family having a job! My husband has been unable to find a job in his field for 4 years that wasn't 1 1/2 hours away...yes he has a job, but it is not what he went to school for. I've heard this from many people in the local community too...they took what jobs were open instead of what they trained for due to a spouse/family living in the area. Though some job fields are more flexible though.

Last edited by MutantatomsRN; 12-18-2010 at 04:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming