Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM

14 posts, read 30,786 times

Advertisements

I have read alot of good things about the Buffalo area. It seems to be what I am looking for. But if it really is a small town, does that mean there arent any jobs avalible? And I was wondering is there was any very small places to rent? I am not looking for a house but an apartment or cabin. Are there any local motels or resturant or retails jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,164,384 times
I like your choice. Buffalo would be one of my top picks for Wyoming towns.

I live 70 miles east of Buffalo in Gillette and often travel through the town on the way to the mountains. It's a very nice little town, but not terribly small. Of course its main attraction would be the Bighorn Mtns which start at the edge of town. It also has a nice park or two and an excellent golf course.

There are a number of motels and restaurants and some retail, but none of those jobs pay very well. If you're a good waitress you might do okay with tips, but I'd guess that cooks, retail clerks and motel maids, for the most part, earn less than $10/hour -- hardly a living wage.

I would guess it wouldn't be too hard to find one of those jobs right now. The economy isn't booming, but neither is it too bad. This might be a good time to move there, as there are probably a few rentals available. I can't think of any major apartment complexes, but I'm sure there are a few apartments in 4-plexes and older homes that have been converted to apartments, etc.

Here's the rental section of the classifieds in the Buffalo Bulletin: http://www.buffalobulletin.com/admarket/rentals/ You might also look at the help wanted section to get an idea of what's available.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM

258 posts, read 558,211 times
Buffalo tends to be a little spendy (not as bad as some other places) but there's lots of jobs in Sheridan (entry level jobs get snatched up quick by college students though) and if you don't mind living in 'squaller' there are a few really cheap rentals in Story - which in my opinion is Wyoming's best little secret spot.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,926,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarpeach86 View Post
I have read alot of good things about the Buffalo area. It seems to be what I am looking for. But if it really is a small town, does that mean there arent any jobs avalible? And I was wondering is there was any very small places to rent? I am not looking for a house but an apartment or cabin. Are there any local motels or resturant or retails jobs?
Yes, it is a small town. But, by who's standards. Buffalo is a small town that is excellent in a choice for Wyoming. Job's are hard to find if You are "White Collar". But then again, what is white collar in wyoming?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-27-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM

14 posts, read 30,786 times
Oh I aint white collar. My screen name is bluecollarpeach86.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-25-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Please don't post emails.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 24,125 times
Buffalo has less than 5000 residents. Rentals are very scarce and reasonably priced rentals are even scarcer. Jobs are very scarce in Buffalo and in many Wyoming towns due to price of CBM gas dived -- many lost jobs, got laid off so if there are any jobs, competition locally is fierce for them. McDonalds Restaurant told me 6 days ago they aren't hiring. Being a small town, local longstanding residents have better chance at getting hired than someone who just moved to town. There are several motels but most motel work is part-time. You'd have better luck finding work in Casper or Gillette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming