U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 19,697 times
Default Tell me about the Buffalo area please.

I would like some info from those who know the area please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM

17,446 posts, read 21,721,241 times
Buffalo, give me you're questions. I don't live in buffalo, but I'm close. haha

Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 AM

51 posts, read 57,145 times
Winds? High-Low winter temps...snowfall amounts? Cost of living compared to Star Valley area? ATV/Snowmachine forest access?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 PM

6,670 posts, read 8,550,817 times
Buffalo is one of my favorite towns in Wyoming, in fact I'm headed through there today for a couple days of camping. Our favorite campground is 15-20 miles up the mountain from Buffalo.

Buffalo is nestled right up against the Bighorns, a smaller range of the Rockies but very nice and not used much by tourists. (They mostly hightail it over the pass from the Black Hills to Yellowstone.) The highest peak is at 13,100 feet. It has all the wildlife you'd expect in Wyoming mountains except no grizzly bears -- whitetail deer, elk, moose, black bear, Bighorn sheep, etc. Fishing is fair to excellent, depending on where you go.

Winds are similar to those in Sheridan, maybe a little less, as it's protected by the mountains. It's only 35 miles south of Sheridan and at about the same elevation, so snowfall and temperatures are similar -- and a bit warmer with a little less snow than Star Valley. Population is (guessing here) around 3500 so it's a little more laid back than Sheridan. It does have a very nice 18-hole golf course and a couple excellent restaurants.

As you leave town headed west (on Hwy 16) you're already climbing, and in 15 minutes you're deep into the mountains. It's all Bighorn National Forest area and is excellent for snowmobiling and ATVing. If you look at a map, Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Ten Sleep is all mountainous. I think most of the snowmobiling is done on the west slope around Meadowlark Lake, maybe 50 miles west of Buffalo, but there's plenty of FS land on the east slope too.

I'd guess the cost of living is a little lower than in Star Valley. It's at the intersection of I-25 and I-90 so not quite as remote.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM

51 posts, read 57,145 times
Hmmm...very interesting.-- I see the property taxes are a bit higher there. Any ski resorts nearby? What about rafting/boating in the summer?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 PM

6,670 posts, read 8,550,817 times
There's a small familiy-oriented ski slope 40-50 miles west of Buffalo called Meadowlark. Years ago I skied there. It was very small then and still is, although it did have a couple nice blue runs.

I don't think there's much for rafting. The rivers running out of the Bighorns in this area aren't big ones. Maybe someone else knows of something??? But there are a couple nice lakes close-by. Lake Desmet is the major lake just a few miles northeast of Buffalo. I've fished on it a few times, but the only time we'd planned to water ski the winds were too strong for our 19-foot boat.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 AM

17,446 posts, read 21,721,241 times
As far as Rafting is concerned, Tongue River is about 45 miles straight North of Buffalo. But there are times the water is a little low to have good rafting.

There is also the Little Big Horn that's another 16 or so miles North of the Tongue.

Fishing that is close is Lake Desmet. If you are willing to drive up to Sheridan and then West into the mountains, there are several outstanding lakes to fish. Sibley, Park Res, Sawmill, Twin Lakes, etc. A couple of these you'll have a mile or so hike to fish where you want, but they are outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming