U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 11,484 times
Default Where is the best place in mountain western region/north central midwest to grow fruits and veggies, etc?

I am looking to move out to the country and have a self sustainable lifestyle. I currently live in Seattle, and know that Washington is a great place to grow food, but it is so expensive to buy land here. I know that Eastern WA is less expensive, but I do not want to be anywhere near exposure zones of Hanford. I do not wish to live in California for certain reasons, but Oregon away from the coast would be good too. My plan is to buy land to build a home on, but to also live out my days tending to the food i grow. I am interested in living in the mountain western region or north central midwest or east pacific region. So I'm in search of a place where there are free stater minded people, away from the city life in the quiet country where neighbors care about their neighbors, not too far from towns that are perhaps a bit artsy, and in a region where I may successfully grow the food i will eat for the rest of my days. I am borderline vegetarian, so it's important to be able to grow a variety of fruits, veggies, fruit trees, etc. Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:47 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,076,173 times
The Brigham City area of Utah is where most our cherries, apriocts, PEACHES, and TOMATOES come from

Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 8,727,992 times
I'm sure you're familiar with the SW Oregon area -- around Medford. They used to have a lot of pear and peach orchards there, but many have been torn out to make way for more houses.

The eastern shore of Flathead Lake in Montana are is famous for its "Flathead Cherries", but I'm sure the land is horribly expensive.

But in the Intermountain West, I doubt anywhere else comes close to SW Colorado for fruit trees of many varieties.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

389 posts, read 342,252 times
Cody Wyoming ain't too expencive. You'll find lots of peaceful countryside several miles west of the city, but even the city itself ain't too crazy loud or anything.

I live 5-10 miles west of Cody, not far enough to go see the rodeo or something, but not close enough to be constantly a part of the citylife. I grow mainly oats and grains, stuff like weat and hay, but I also have a few vegetable gardens. I grow carots, tomatoes, corn, and other greens. I also grow a few fruits like peachtrees, appletrees, oranges, etc.

Sure, they ain't as juicy or as ripe as in Washington, but man thems good eatin' if you know that you're the one done grown 'em. I love the countrylife, and boy ya can't go wrong bein' a country man in western Wyoming. I live a little close to the Montana line, so I ain't far driving distance from Billings I guess. & the people here are real friendly. Everytime they pass my ranche & see me roundin' cattle or what not, they always yell out "Howdy Jess."

Look into Northwestern WY or somewhere near it. There's mostly cheap land if you look hard enough, a lot of good growing, & if you get lucky, you get a good deal on horses, cattle, chickens, etc etc etc.

Lot's of Love!

Jessie

Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,367,040 times
Southwest Idaho in the Boise area is probably the breadbasket of the Mountain West with one of the largest fruit growing regions in the West and several varieties of herbs and veggie crops grown in SW Idaho rank in the top 10 nationally regarding acreage and amount grown. Organic is the rage as there are a lot of small hobby farms and there is also the Snake River Viticultural Wine region near Boise. Fruits and veggies grow fast here.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM

10,907 posts, read 17,983,114 times
Treasure Valley in ID, and Palisade / Delta Colorado. But not sure how this washes
Quote:
free stater minded people

Remember that in most of CO and NM you will be exposed to higher radiation levels just walking across the soil than the 3 Mile Island accident release. I grew up farming under power lines in Colorado so I'm doomed. Hanford doesn't bother me in the least, I'm now downwind from Boardman (highest concentrations of acid rain in USA) I'm toast.

You may find Oregon to better fit your value set. Look to Ashland area for moderate climate and long growing season.

WY would be a place that I would NOT recommend you look for matching your values and gardening / sustainable / veggie / fruit desires.

The people are terrific, the weather on the other hand....

Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 21,410,717 times
"artsy towns" doesn't come to mind when I think of Wyoming ... even in the areas that are driven by tourist economies.

Given the short growing season at altitude, the cold - long winters, the cost of productive land and ag water ... there's got to be other places that are far more conducive climates and economies to your fruit trees and vegetables and grains independence.

Perhaps the corridor along the foothills from Colorado Springs down past Pueblo would have places to suit your requirements at a reasonable price. Idaho has some good areas, too ... but with some of the most expensive ag land in the region.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,484 times
Thanks Jessie! I really appreciate your reply and wanted to let you know that it made my day to hear such a positive response! Some other responses I have received in other forums were surprisingly negative, but you sound just like a nice person that I have heard of being in Wyoming. So Thanks!! We have decided to look into your area, and are very excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Cody Wyoming ain't too expencive. You'll find lots of peaceful countryside several miles west of the city, but even the city itself ain't too crazy loud or anything.

I live 5-10 miles west of Cody, not far enough to go see the rodeo or something, but not close enough to be constantly a part of the citylife. I grow mainly oats and grains, stuff like weat and hay, but I also have a few vegetable gardens. I grow carots, tomatoes, corn, and other greens. I also grow a few fruits like peachtrees, appletrees, oranges, etc.

Sure, they ain't as juicy or as ripe as in Washington, but man thems good eatin' if you know that you're the one done grown 'em. I love the countrylife, and boy ya can't go wrong bein' a country man in western Wyoming. I live a little close to the Montana line, so I ain't far driving distance from Billings I guess. & the people here are real friendly. Everytime they pass my ranche & see me roundin' cattle or what not, they always yell out "Howdy Jess."

Look into Northwestern WY or somewhere near it. There's mostly cheap land if you look hard enough, a lot of good growing, & if you get lucky, you get a good deal on horses, cattle, chickens, etc etc etc.

Lot's of Love!

Jessie

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM

304 posts, read 549,341 times
I live in Cody, have a large garden and can tell you that Powell, Lovell and Worland are all better climates for growing...I've lived in Lovell & Worland and my gardens there were magnificent compared to Cody. It's a struggle here because of the late and early frosts. It didn't get warm until the 1st week of july and I believe we were 20 below the end of September last year. I'm surprised Rebelwoman didn't mention the deer problem as well - they eat and demolish anything that isn't behind a high fence. I've NEVER heard of anyone growing an orange tree in Wyoming, peaches in some areas, and we can grow plums, cherries, apricots - but they are not what you get from Utah or Idaho. Usually the wind blows the blossoms off in the spring or the frost takes them - seriously! People do raise food here, but we hunt, fish, eat beef and sustain our diets that way too. You can put up a lot of root vegies, tomatoes, potatoes, beans and such...but I wouldn't count on growing a lot of fruit other than pie apple trees and native stuff like chokecherries, currants, wild plums, bush cherries, etc. Cody is also priced higher than the other towns I mentioned. The farmland around Cody is primarily for feeding livestock. I would love to sustain my family on what I can raise, but am aggravated every year because of the short growing season. Sorry, but you need another point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming