U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,637 times

Advertisements

I've recently accepted a job in Lander, and my husband and I are moving there late-August. We are both very excited to get away from the midwest (Missouri) to a beautiful western state! My husband is actually making the trip up there now looking for a place to rent (fingers crossed, we've read about the crazy tight market) and a job for himself. I am an avid runner and worried about the transition!

What are the winter's really like in Lander? Will I be able to do any runs outside between Dec-Jan!? I've run in temps near 0* but never colder than that!

Are there any gyms in Lander? If I wimp out on my first winter there running outside, I'm hoping I can find a treadmill to use!!

Bears ... Trails in GTNP, Shoshone NF, and other nearby trails... I know you're never supposed to run away from a bear, but what about if you're just running!? Ha. I have never run in bear country and it FREAKS me out! I'll be buying bear spray of course, but any other suggestions about running trails?

Any must run/hike trails near Lander??

I can't WAIT to get out there. Any other random advice/suggestions about the area is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,665,795 times
a lot of people run in Sinks Canyon. Not sure if there are trails per se, but it's very beautiful..but not open year round. There is a community pool in Lander but not sure about gym facilities. There are hiking trails. Good luck with your move. Lander is a great place. It gets cold there but the winters have nice days too.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:11 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,989,743 times
Lander winters run the range from highs in the 50's, brown and no snow for the vast majority of the time to buried under 4' of snow from mid October to mid April. I've played golf every month of the year there (grew up in Lander from 1975~1993, then returned with wife 2005~2009), and I've seen it snow every month of the year. With good winter traction (YakTrax or the like), you should be able to run more days through the winter than not. Just be aware that you'll likely be running on a mixture of packed snow, ice and dry pavement. I think the High School opens up their gym ('The Fieldhouse') for runners in the winter too, but I'm not a runner and don't know for sure. There's a popular "loop" starting in the City Park too.

As for bears, I've never seen one on any of the popular trails. I have seen them while out hiking in the wilderness off of the Loop Road, but they just go about their business (meaning I've never had more than a sighting as they wander or run off ~ including a mother with her cubs). Not something you'll need to worry about most of the time. Drop in on Wild Iris and talk with the staff there (Vance will talk your ear off ~ but he's super helpful without being pushy) to get most any info you could want. They're climbing focused, but know the area well.

And there are 3 gyms in Lander. A 24 hour fitness which has 3 racquetball/squash courts and a megar selection of equipment. Elemental Training, I've never been in there but they have an indoor rock wall. And High Mtn. Fitness. HMF&PT is owned/operated by Chantel Bowen, who's a physical therapist and triathlon gal ~ I got involved with her when trading some work (computer for personal trainer for my wife), but she's a great person and Really helped my wife with a lot of issues... I'd suggest getting in touch with her. She should be able to help you out with the running thing too. The pool and high school also have some gym equipment that can be used during certain hours.

My wife and I did the Falls Trail (park at Bruces Campground after going through Sinks Canyon, trail is over the bridge ~ it's an out and back) a couple times a week. Was about a 90 minute round trip from our home in town, to the falls, and back home again. It's a nice little hike that can be done year round (though snoeshoes in the winter). That's the only "trail" we hit a lot.

Hope you enjoy Lander. Moving back to a city really brings out the parts that I miss about living there, but it's just not the right town for my wife and I.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM

367 posts, read 828,459 times
what type of job did u accept? I currently live in Lander ~ welcome!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,637 times
@ Brian_M: Thank you so much! That is some wonderful info.... I'll look up the gyms and the trails at Sinks Canyon! I won't be up there until we actually move, so Lander will mostly be a big surprise... I figured it would be beneficial for me to find out something about my new town before I get there. Ha.

@rya700: I'll be working with NOLS. Super excited!!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM

208 posts, read 313,722 times
I think you'll be really happy in Lander- I've heard NOLS is a great place to work. I see people running year-round here, especially in town. Brian_M gave you some great, accurate information! Good luck to you and your family in your move here- it's going to be a nice surprise for you.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM

3,691 posts, read 4,183,584 times
You may want to get an update on the cougar population (if any) at the nearest ranger station before planning a run in a remote area. I know North Idaho and Western Montana much better that I know WY (other than I love to visit WY!), so I don't know the wildlife stats for around Lander, but I wouldn't plan on running alone in mountain lion territory.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM

61 posts, read 118,559 times
I'm a runner and I've been able to run year round most of the time. Once in awhile the snow can make the roads pretty slick and icy. I have a treadmill, personally, that I use on occasion. As one of the previous posters said, there are gym facilities in Lander (also in Riverton). I've run into black bears while hiking, but not grizzlies (in the Wind Rivers), however bear mace is a good idea. Must runs? If you are a distance runner, the Baldwin Creek/Squaw Creek loop is popular with both bikers and runners. It's around 12 miles or so, depending on where you start. There is not a huge running community in Lander because so many people do other sports. I recommend learning how to X-Country Ski for winter trainings. We have some beautiful trails and they groom the city golf course for that. Good luck and have fun. It's a nice little community to live in.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM

64 posts, read 120,652 times
should mention that the most popular walking running loop in Lander is partially out of commission. Sinks Canyon to Mortimore to Hillcrest and back to town through city Park is out of commission due to the bridge washing out on Mortimore Lane. This was "the" short loop for Lander, and although you could walk through the river bed now, (due to low water level) that is not always the case.

The bridge will get replaced but there appears to be no word as of when.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM

208 posts, read 313,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
should mention that the most popular walking running loop in Lander is partially out of commission. Sinks Canyon to Mortimore to Hillcrest and back to town through city Park is out of commission due to the bridge washing out on Mortimore Lane. This was "the" short loop for Lander, and although you could walk through the river bed now, (due to low water level) that is not always the case.

The bridge will get replaced but there appears to be no word as of when.
Ooh, good to mention- forgot about that washout. What a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming