Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,453 times

Advertisements

We may possibly moving from Lincoln, NE to Torrington, WY. My husband works for the Dept of Corrections in NE and is looking at taking a job offer at the prison in Torrington. We have 2 small children ages 3 & 6. I just wanted to get some information about Torrington. I am looking at staying home and opening an in home daycare until my kids are old enough to stay home alone.

I am looking for information on:
Schools (good/bad)?
Home Daycare needs in Torrington?
Town information (any is welcome)?
Kids activities?
Average rent for a 3bd home?
Average bills? (Electric, gas, groceries for family of 4, cable/satellite, internet, etc...)
Cell phone coverage for Verizon?
Rentals available?
Any information is really welcome!

Thank You in Advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Have you looked through some of the "Torrington" threads that are already on here?

Here are some of them.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...orrington.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...ington-wy.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...cept-pets.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...ington-wy.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...owns-like.html

Some of those may have answers to your questions and yet some may make you rethink your questions.

I don't know a lot about Torrington, but being a weather nut I can say that Wheatland to Torrington is an area that Tornado's seem to spawn.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 11,453 times
I have looked through some of the other posts some where almost a year + old but didn't have a lot about cost of things, daycare, etc. Also with the prison now being open for awhile, just wanted to get some more updated information.

Thank You for your reply!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
You are correct, most of those are old.

I haven't been to Torrington for years. I know that when they announced the building of the prison, they also talked about building housing as it would be in demand. Then the next I heard was people were living 30 and 40 miles away just to find housing. But I don't know if the housing situation has caught up with the influx of people.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

144 posts, read 627,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APGP View Post
We may possibly moving from Lincoln, NE to Torrington, WY. My husband works for the Dept of Corrections in NE and is looking at taking a job offer at the prison in Torrington. We have 2 small children ages 3 & 6. I just wanted to get some information about Torrington. I am looking at staying home and opening an in home daycare until my kids are old enough to stay home alone.

I am looking for information on:
Schools (good/bad)?
Home Daycare needs in Torrington?
Town information (any is welcome)?
Kids activities?
Average rent for a 3bd home?
Average bills? (Electric, gas, groceries for family of 4, cable/satellite, internet, etc...)
Cell phone coverage for Verizon?
Rentals available?
Any information is really welcome!

Thank You in Advance!!!
I'll try to take the questions in order

1. Schools- Lincoln Elementary has gotten some bad press lately for "low test scores" but I don't know if that's related to this year's PAWS test fiasco (the geniuses in Cheyenne decided to computerize the tests, but the software crashed or malfunctioned in many locations and test results are, in my opinion, unreliable)

2. People everywhere scream about the need for daycare, but no one here seems willing to pay for it. There are local and state ordinances and certifications before you open up your business.

3. I absolutely love it here, but we don't have many of the conveniences you are accustomed to in larger cities (no Wal-Mart, no mall, no McDonald's, no commercial airport, etc.) Scottsbluff NE is only 30 miles away, however.

4. We have some of the usual kid's sports (soccer, baseball, swimming, football, softball) but with such a small population, there's insufficient demand for such things as hockey, lacrosse, gymnastics, etc. We also have active children's' theater and dancing troupes, a 4-H club and church activities.

5. You won't find many home rentals advertised, but if you contact some local realtors, you'll find they have a list of rental homes. If you have a pet, however, you will have a VERY DIFFICULT time finding a rental. Prices vary by individual house.

6. We pay $95 per month, flat rate for year-round gas, and our electric runs about the same. There are 2 small local groceries, but prices are high. You'll probably do most "big shopping" at the Scottsbluff Super Wal-Mart. We have satellite TV and the prices are the same as everywhere else in the US.

7. My Verizon cell phone works fine in town. Cell coverage is spotty everywhere in rural WY for all carriers.

8. See #5.

Check the town's web site:

Torrington, Wyoming

Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,854 times
Good afternoon, if you head over to [Mod Cut] Goshen County Wyoming Chamber of Commerce: Information on local Goshen County Businesses & Attractions, and click on the 'relocation' tab on the left hand side, you will be able to view this information as well. If you are looking for events, lodging, attractions, etc. in Torrington, then please visit [Mod cut] highplainscompass. Good luck! ~Amanda

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post links.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM

130 posts, read 235,421 times
I liked the town..........my wife needed a bit more to live out there. Busy little city.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,937 times
I would agree with most of what sixofone said about Torrington. I'd have similar answers, except for a few below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
2. People everywhere scream about the need for daycare, but no one here seems willing to pay for it. There are local and state ordinances and certifications before you open up your business.
Not sure what you mean by nobody willing to pay for it. Mothers in this town do....local & state gov't hasn't been willing to commit $$ to open up a center, but I know many working moms who pay lots for quality daycare. There is definitely a need. If you run a small, home daycare, you don't have to be licensed & follow all the rules, but you also have to tell your parents that you aren't licensed. My girls went to a small, unlicensed daycare and loved it. But then I got many references from previous moms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
6. We pay $95 per month, flat rate for year-round gas, and our electric runs about the same. There are 2 small local groceries, but prices are high. You'll probably do most "big shopping" at the Scottsbluff Super Wal-Mart. We have satellite TV and the prices are the same as everywhere else in the US.
Depending on where you come from, grocery prices certainly aren't high. They might be higher than Walmart, but are the same or lower than King Soopers and Safeway for most items. I come home with more groceries from Main St. Market (1 of our locals) for $100 than I ever do from Safeway in Scottbluff. I shop exclusively at our 2 locals.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 12,890 times
My husband has an interview with the new Prison in Torrington, Wyoming this morning. If he gets the job (praying he does) we will be looking at moving here or atleast close by. Where is the best place to start looking? We also have three small girls, where are the best schools in the area? How can I find out more information about the area? Not wanting to judge a book by its cover, but so far we have just seen one street with very little to offer people. Does anyone have any info for new visitors in the area?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM

24 posts, read 56,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowley32903 View Post
My husband has an interview with the new Prison in Torrington, Wyoming this morning. If he gets the job (praying he does) we will be looking at moving here or atleast close by. Where is the best place to start looking? We also have three small girls, where are the best schools in the area? How can I find out more information about the area? Not wanting to judge a book by its cover, but so far we have just seen one street with very little to offer people. Does anyone have any info for new visitors in the area?
Some of the internet links in this and the other Torrington posts should be fairly accurate. If you do any internet searches, make sure you use Torrington WY and not CT . My husband went to Southeast School which combines students from Yoder, Veteran, Huntley, Hawk Springs, & Lyman towns (and maybe a few other locales). I have heard that Torrington school isn't bad, but I have no personal experiences there. If you choose to live in Scottsbluff, NE there are several schools there. One of which I was recently told really pushes to excel students, but again I do not have personal experience there...just hearsay. Housing costs are expected to go up in the next year in the Torrington area and rentals *may* get tight. What are your family's interests? age group? Where are you moving from?

The area is very laid back. Your everyday needs can be met without leaving town, but if you like a litte more excitement, expect to spend some time on the road to get to Cheyenne, Ft. Collins or Denver for bigger attractions. Gas prices and grocery prices are slightly higher here than other locations, but manageable. I drive to Scottsbluff for work and tend to get my fuel in Torrington as the cost is about $.10 cheaper on average. I use Verizon for a cell carrier but can tell you every location that it drops service. Others that I have asked say that other providers are not much better. Internet in rural areas is ok, but there are some locations that you may not be able to get fast enough speeds for Netflix or Skype.

Realty....I would try realtor.com or www.newmanrealty.net/

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming