U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,170 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to move to Jackson, WY but we are both concerned with how friendly and safe it would be for two young lesbians to live in this area. We don't want to miss out on the beauty and nature of the area just because we will not be welcomed but our safety is important. Wealso hope to start a family one day and wonder if this is even the right place for gay families.

I know of the Matt Shepard murder in Laramie but I am not going to count the whole state as homophobes. I'm from Texas after all and we get a bad rep too.

I would like to hear from residents of the town and hopefully local gay/lesbian people too!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 9,157,136 times
Contrary to what the "documentary" movie depicted, evidence strongly indicates that the Shepard murder had little, if anything, to do with his sexual preferences and more to do with drug deals. The national media and others jumped on the murder as being a hate crime before it was investigated, then conveniently forgot to follow up on the case.

I'm not from Jackson but can't imagine gays and lesbians having too much of a problem there. It might be wise to keep the PDAs to a minimum no matter where you are, but Jackson residents seem to be fairly liberal as Mountain States populations go. I don't see many gay prejudices in Gillette, which is one of the more conservative towns in the state, but being straight I could be way off so I'll just shut up now.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 17,098 times
WyoNewk is spot-on with the "documentary" movie observations, and I suppose that's all I'll say about that.

I have family in Jackson and have spent a lot of time there, and in addition to that I was born and raised in the state, and I can assure you you have nothing to worry about as far as your safety goes people in Wyoming are, as a whole, remarkably good at minding their own when it comes to matters such as who you're sleeping with, and Jackson isn't a typical Wyoming town by any stretch of the imagination. It's a lot more, progressive, for lack of a better term. I have a very hard time picturing you encountering any problems because of your sexuality, and even if some people are a little put off at first, as long as you're a decent human being and it shows, they'll get over it.

Just so you know- I come from a ranching family, and have spent my life around the very people that are supposed to be the horrible, backwards Wyoming homophobes, and have never heard any of them say anything too out of line, and definitely nothing worse than I've heard in any other state. I've worked on ranches with mannnny homosexual people as well, and no one seems to have much to say about it, and they certainly aren't being attacked. That's not to say my experiences should be used to measure everyone elses, but again, in my entire life I've yet to encounter the horrible homophobia we're known for due to certain before-mentioned "documentaries" and Brokeback Mountain, and I've been right in the middle of where it should have been, so do with that information what you will.

Hope you make it out to Jackson, it really is a beautiful place.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,197,338 times
Gee they own business here, practice law, work for the FS, wait tables, turn clay. They don't flaunt it and most everybody could care less.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM

248 posts, read 227,917 times
Besides, the only 'red-neck homophobes' to worry about out here are the ranch-hands and cowboys themselves, and you hardly find any of us in a town like Jackson anyways...

...after 4 rounds of beer in a town like Jackson, my wallet is tapped-out, and it's time to go save up another month's paycheck, so I can decide where to get drunk next...

Jackson ? not likely...too damn expensive.

You're safe there hon...just do what ya gotta do; what we respect more than anything is 'follow-through'. Stick to your guns, earn a living, pay your taxes, and at least smile (or polite nod) when we pass by each other, and you'll do just fine. That's all ANY neighbor out here would ask of you.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,269,977 times
You would probably be safe in Jackson but the cost of living is through the roof. I happen to know some people in Rock Springs who are gay and to my knowledge they have never been harassed. I'm not sure about Casper which is the other town I've lived in, but most people there seemed pretty tolerant. I think as long as you do not do any PDAs you should be okay in most towns.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM

258 posts, read 579,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSesame! View Post
My partner and I are looking to move to Jackson, WY but we are both concerned with how friendly and safe it would be for two young lesbians to live in this area. We don't want to miss out on the beauty and nature of the area just because we will not be welcomed but our safety is important. Wealso hope to start a family one day and wonder if this is even the right place for gay families.

I know of the Matt Shepard murder in Laramie but I am not going to count the whole state as homophobes. I'm from Texas after all and we get a bad rep too.

I would like to hear from residents of the town and hopefully local gay/lesbian people too!
I lived in Jackson for 7 years from 1992 'til 1999. It is probably the most liberal town in the state and there are many gay and lesbian people there. You have nothing to worry about. I hope you love it as much as I did!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM

783 posts, read 812,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSesame! View Post
According to an April 2008 Census Snapshot; Jackson (Teton County) has the fifth highest percentage of same sex households in Wyoming.

Quote:
“The counties with the highest percentage of same-sex couples are Niobrara County (0.69% of all county households), Fremont County (0.65%), Carbon County (0.62%), Crook County (0.61%), and Teton (.60%)” 1
1. The Williams Institute - UCLA School of Law

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Contrary to what the "documentary" movie depicted, evidence strongly indicates that the Shepard murder had little, if anything, to do with his sexual preferences and more to do with drug deals.
Care to cite the evidence? No? Sorry. There is none aside from a 20/20 interview where both killers say it was because of that. Sure, go ahead and trust them. They are after all, convicted murderers.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 9,157,136 times
Miznitic,
Only what I've read, and there's plenty of that available if you Google it. Sorry, I'm not going to debate it here. There's another CD board for that where you'll find lots of willing participants. I think it's "Great Debates" or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming