Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,878 times

Advertisements

We moved from Evanston in 2003 and miss it like losing a foot. Trying to return and finding it difficult to find an affordable house to rent. There are two adults and two dogs, none of us eat funiture or dig up the yard ...can anyone offer any assistance with this?

Affordable would be up to $800 per month. All we need is 1 bedroom, 1 bath and a fenced yard. In town would be great.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 AM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWY View Post
We moved from Evanston in 2003 and miss it like losing a foot. Trying to return and finding it difficult to find an affordable house to rent. There are two adults and two dogs, none of us eat funiture or dig up the yard ...can anyone offer any assistance with this?

Affordable would be up to $800 per month. All we need is 1 bedroom, 1 bath and a fenced yard. In town would be great.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Having lived in Evanston for the better part of 12 years and staging out of there many times in years prior, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anybody who finally got out of there would want back in!?! No real work, housing shortage, no real shopping ... and the coldest people on the planet ... and I don't mean the weather.
However, if you recall where the Yellow Creek Estates is/was on Yellow Creek road, they're turning that into townhomes ... eventually (you know how Evanston is) I have my doubts about the dogs, however, being welcome in rental property anywhere unless they are certified as medical comfort animals.
Perhaps what used to be known as "The Bighorn" is still animal friendly - but those are merely studio apts or the "2-studios converted into 1 big, weird apartment" units. Across the street, behind Don Pedro's (Old Outpost) are those 2BR units and there are only 3 drawbacks to those; no yard, no oven, no vacancies.
You can access the Unita County Herald online and that may provide some information for you.
Good luck in your quest and I hope this is what you want. The biggest selling point of Evanston, Wyoming has always been "At least it ain't Utah".

Old 06-30-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Having lived in Evanston for the better part of 12 years and staging out of there many times in years prior, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anybody who finally got out of there would want back in!?! No real work, housing shortage, no real shopping ... and the coldest people on the planet ... and I don't mean the weather.
However, if you recall where the Yellow Creek Estates is/was on Yellow Creek road, they're turning that into townhomes ... eventually (you know how Evanston is) I have my doubts about the dogs, however, being welcome in rental property anywhere unless they are certified as medical comfort animals.
Perhaps what used to be known as "The Bighorn" is still animal friendly - but those are merely studio apts or the "2-studios converted into 1 big, weird apartment" units. Across the street, behind Don Pedro's (Old Outpost) are those 2BR units and there are only 3 drawbacks to those; no yard, no oven, no vacancies.
You can access the Unita County Herald online and that may provide some information for you.
Good luck in your quest and I hope this is what you want. The biggest selling point of Evanston, Wyoming has always been "At least it ain't Utah".
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

We have been reading the online e-version of The Herald since we left. We were hoping that maybe someone would know something that wasn't in the paper.

Seems you had a negative experience in Evanston. Ours was just the opposite:
we both found work easily, found the people to be real, not the phony friendly you find in the South, but a genuine sense of giving you a chance to show who you are…the weather was great, year round, the golds and oranges of the fall leaves, the beauty of the snow in the sunlight, like diamonds everywhere; the blues, greens, golds, reds, purple in the ice crystals when the sun shined through was beautiful. If the air could be bottled and sold, you could retire... the sky magnificent, often with puffy clouds so close you felt you could just bend your knees and jump!... and latch onto one…the town small enough that we didn't drive our car for over a year, in town. We walked to work and shopping, even in the snow. Sure we got rained on, the wind blew, and the snow piled up on our shoulders, but it was glorious. (We just made sure to dress correctly.)…the library was great for a small town, the librarians friendly and knowledgeable. If they didn't have what we wanted, they ordered it from an associated library…shopping was limited in town, but we could get anything we needed from the internet, or take a drive to SLC or Ogden when the need for crowds and varied shopping struck us… then of course the parades, the rodeo, the pancake breakfast, the Roundhouse, and the Bear River Walkway…

We fell in love with the place.

I've kept my eye on the Wyoming workforce site and see plenty of jobs in Evanston. But I guess our needs are low, so what we deem necessary for life may be different from what someone else may think.

Best of luck to you where you are now, and thanks again for the info.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Yellowcreek Estates. That brings back painful memories. I first saw that place in 1980. It was on a sunday. Our company had just transfered me there. I didn't know it would only be for a few months. Then transfered out to riverton. I had good friends there. Work paid very good. Company housing. And new bride. But living there was three things I could count on. Good dope. And mud and snow from the front door to the blacktop. Oh and the cold. Forgot the cold. I guess that was four.
I did get to enjoy more of the "estates" over the years with other companies as most had temporary housing for employees on loan from another part of the company.
My mother and sister lived there for a few years in the early 1980's and it wasn't much better. But at the time it was great, for evanston. Anyway.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 18,689 times
I moved to Evanston in 2003 and absolutely love it as well. There is a shortage of housing here right now, and a lot of what is available is not advertised on-line or even in the paper. The dogs would probably be your biggest challenge in finding a place, especially if you are trying to get a fenced yard for an individual apartment. You could probably do so quite easily in a trailer park. There are a couple nice one in town along with a few not so nice ones. Good luck in finding a place, If I do see anything, I will let you know.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Seposm, thanks for the info. Yeah, I don't see much to not love about Evanston. We haven't closed the trailer park option, though I lived in one in California for a few months and felt like I was in a concentration camp. Rules about everything, including when you could walk in the park and enter/leave. I was out'a there very quick! But I would do it again if it is the only way back to Evanston. We've been talking about him going and finding a place, and then me and the dogs following later... but anyway, we have not given up. And please do let us know if you hear of anything.
(This is what I meant about the people!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming