Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,820,293 times

Advertisements

Personally based on your posts I would take the southern route. I also agree that I80 would be a better choice than I70. Better safe than sorry has worked for me for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM

286 posts, read 639,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Personally based on your posts I would take the southern route. I also agree that I80 would be a better choice than I70. Better safe than sorry has worked for me for years.
Yes, thanks for you post. My wife is still trying to learn how to parallel park and three point turn around so a cross country drive will definately throw her into the mix. Adding snow and ice may not be a good thing.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM

3,647 posts, read 6,281,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Yes, thanks for you post. My wife is still trying to learn how to parallel park and three point turn around so a cross country drive will definately throw her into the mix. Adding snow and ice may not be a good thing.

and there might not be snow and ice... but there always seems to be wind, though once last summer the Wind mills at Arlington where not turning, and we didn't have the camera

Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,219,977 times
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade... nor bragging rights about Wyoming winds, but I-10 has some ferocious winds too. The only difference is they're warmer and blow sand instead of snow. For that matter, the closest I've ever come to being blown off the road was in northern Iowa.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,020,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
hmm.. with that perhaps I should take I-10 across and then come up from Phoenix through Las Vegas and through the desert?

I'm ok driving and towing but my wife is an inexperienced driver who is just getting ready to take her driving test. She would be following me with another car.

I've made the trip before from Florida to Southern California and the only part of that I didn't care for was West Texas.

Other than that, no problem.
I think your choices are I-80 or I-40. It should be about the same distance either way. All things considered, in the wintertime I'd probably choose I-40. Just because of the weather. But you shouldn't have any problem on I-80 either. I have towed my car on I-80 in the winter, and had no issues. One thing to consider, the I-40 route will have you traveling on US-95 from Vegas to Reno. Thats a pretty remote area. Any break downs on that road, and you are a long way from service.

One thing, try to make sure your wife gets as much driving experience as possible, before the trip. The idea a n00b driver making a cross country trip by herself is a bit scary to me. Then again she needs experience, and she will have it by the time you get to Reno.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM

286 posts, read 639,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I think your choices are I-80 or I-40. It should be about the same distance either way. All things considered, in the wintertime I'd probably choose I-40. Just because of the weather. But you shouldn't have any problem on I-80 either. I have towed my car on I-80 in the winter, and had no issues. One thing to consider, the I-40 route will have you traveling on US-95 from Vegas to Reno. Thats a pretty remote area. Any break downs on that road, and you are a long way from service.

One thing, try to make sure your wife gets as much driving experience as possible, before the trip. The idea a n00b driver making a cross country trip by herself is a bit scary to me. Then again she needs experience, and she will have it by the time you get to Reno.
Thanks for the post. I didn't even consider I-40. And yes, I'm spending time with my wife everyday practicing driving.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM

293 posts, read 563,320 times
The stretches between Laramie & Cheyenne and leading into Salt Lake were the two that came to mind for me as well.

I moved to Rawlins recently and have driven between there and Cheyenne pretty frequently. That stretch isn't terrible, just a long downhill mostly. If you go slow you should be fine. It might be different in bad weather though. Only been to Salt Lake once, and that route made me a little more nervous; definitely had the race track feel to it with all the winding roads.

I've never found the winds to be exceptionally bad either. Occasionally I'll get a gust that briefly jerks me around, but never to the extent that I felt unsafe. Again, it might be different for a high profile vehicle.

As far as weather, it seems like it's stayed warmer later than usual in this area, but one never knows in mid-november. Definitely check the weather when you're going to be in the area.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,820,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
The stretches between Laramie & Cheyenne and leading into Salt Lake were the two that came to mind for me as well.

I moved to Rawlins recently and have driven between there and Cheyenne pretty frequently. That stretch isn't terrible, just a long downhill mostly. If you go slow you should be fine. It might be different in bad weather though. Only been to Salt Lake once, and that route made me a little more nervous; definitely had the race track feel to it with all the winding roads.

I've never found the winds to be exceptionally bad either. Occasionally I'll get a gust that briefly jerks me around, but never to the extent that I felt unsafe. Again, it might be different for a high profile vehicle.

As far as weather, it seems like it's stayed warmer later than usual in this area, but one never knows in mid-november. Definitely check the weather when you're going to be in the area.
Drive to Laramie a few times this winter, even when you leave Rawlins and it's a bluebird day, roads are dry. As you get near Elk Mountain you'll notice the wind is blowing the snow across the road and in a few more miles the road is slick ice. Did you notice all the snow fencing, it helps I guess but the road is slick so your now driving at 40 instead of 70. A tractor trailer passes you, he can drive fast but if he has to stop or slow down quickly he's deadmeat.

My point, even if it's a nice day all over Wyoming the section driving past Elk Mountain can be a bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming