U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:49 PM

44 posts, read 95,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_MOM_3inmich View Post
Hello
my husband was offered a job in wyoming, they said it will be better for all of us we are fine on one income now i ws told that we would both have to work in order to make it out in wyoming i have three kids i want to stay home with my children. Is this possible? I herd it isn't so I will not move untill i get more info. Please some one help me thank you
I am a stay at home to 2 children, in Buffalo and I all of my friends are stay at home moms as well. It can be done. You might have to sacrifice the cell phone, eating out for dinner the 2007 suburban or the cable TV, but it can be done with some sacrifice, if necessary. I have a degree from the University of Michigan and I'm from Michigan. I choose to stay home and would not have it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:51 PM

44 posts, read 95,742 times
You know, I bet if you placed a few classified ads offering to do electrical work in exchange for a room, you might get a few bites on it. We don't have a room, but if I did, I would consider it, because I am having a few electrical problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnite View Post
Hello! We are from Michigan and would LOVE to move to Wyoming. Michigan's economy is the very worst in the nation with little hope for any contruction/trades work ahead. It's simple.... we both WANT to work. We are both independent people who can BOTH bring something to Wyoming as far as skilled trades go! However, we can not sleep on the ground with Winter coming. Does anyone in Sheridan or surrounding areas have a room for rent with access to water and perhaps even kitchen privledges?
My Hubby is a Master Contractor Electrician in Michigan and a licensed Journeyman Electrician in the State of Wyoming. He could even do some electrical work for you! He just needs a decent and clean place to sleep while he works... He will leave before me while I wrap up details here. I will join him after he finds us an apartment to rent and live. We both have allot to offer your lovely state and will not bring bad attitude with us! We have a 40 acre farm here in Michigan with a three bedroom ranch/2 bathrooms/walkout basement only 29 years old. Our acreage has 30 acres of woods with very marketable timber. Anyone want to trade??? Michigan is a lovely state as long as you do not need money or a job!!! It is even lovelier if you are a left-winged LIBERAL. There is every social program imaginable here. We are conservatives and self-reliant.... that is why Michigan no longer works for us!
Please respond if you can help us find a rental/room. We have references! You may e-mail us at thompson.trio@worldnet.att.net

Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times
Lightbulb Making a little extra

I have had to make those same sacrifices so I can be home more for my family. Were a military family and have lived here 4 years now. I drive the hour it takes to get to Colorado and work part-time. We bought a house here, and want to update some things. (a lot of things)LOL
I dont know if your interested in any home businesses. You could check out Direct Selling Association. Its the BBB of home businesses. I found one last week and think it will do well. Its only been going for a year, opens in WY/CO and UT May 1st. I was able to sign up early because I am helping with the Chocolate Festival May 9-10.
Anyway.. dsa.org has so many options. You might want to check them out!

~Keri Riggs
Ind. Chocolatier #5401
www.dovechocolateathome.com
307-638-8280
We proudly offer chocolate lovers an exclusive line of premium chocolate products introduced through in-home Chocolate Tasting Parties. Party guests learn about the origin of chocolate, and participate in making and tasting delicious chocolate.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM

57 posts, read 162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl View Post
I am a stay at home to 2 children, in Buffalo and I all of my friends are stay at home moms as well. It can be done. You might have to sacrifice the cell phone, eating out for dinner the 2007 suburban or the cable TV, but it can be done with some sacrifice, if necessary. I have a degree from the University of Michigan and I'm from Michigan. I choose to stay home and would not have it any other way.
Glad to hear there are stay at home moms in Wyoming.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 46,274 times
I like the last part "If you are man enough to take on Wyoming, it's open enough to take you in" very well said!!
As for diversified, I never really thought about it!! i know the town I live in is very much so, as we have Russians, Ukarainins, Whites, Blacks, hispanic, native american, Germans plus who knows what else in nationalitys. Does it really matter?? We all get along.
i will agree with housing though we have a major housing problem here, there are none to be rented!! If you get lucky and find one it is more than likely out of your paying range as they go very high. Greed.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 PM

56 posts, read 107,003 times
Default not diverse, it's just a different culture

I think the main problem is that Wyoming is such a different culture. I think many people when talking about disliking Wyoming have their valid reasons. I do think the majority of people accustomed to the rest of the U.S. have culture shock when they get to wyoming.

I have never, ever lived someplace where the local gym has to post signs to tell people not to spit into the garbage can. etc. I also have never lived where people totally ignore not only laws, but convenants. And I'm not saying that to offend anyone, just an observation.

I know that Wyoming is not for me. Just because I can't handle the culture change and the lack of "accepting" I think the majority are accepting of people that do whatever they want to do.. it IS that independent spirit but at the same time I've had more rudeness towards me here than ever in my life.. I even lived in NY and thought the people were nicer. And I don't even TRY to slam WY, people get very very defensive, which is understandable.. but I do feel like it is my duty to warn others that may come from a similar culture about Wyoming's major "cons" Wyoming tends to "gloss" over its downfalls and not be honest about them.. then again.. pick up a history book.. it's pretty common for the state.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,437,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
I think the main problem is that Wyoming is such a different culture. I think many people when talking about disliking Wyoming have their valid reasons. I do think the majority of people accustomed to the rest of the U.S. have culture shock when they get to wyoming.

I have never, ever lived someplace where the local gym has to post signs to tell people not to spit into the garbage can. etc. I also have never lived where people totally ignore not only laws, but convenants. And I'm not saying that to offend anyone, just an observation.

I know that Wyoming is not for me. Just because I can't handle the culture change and the lack of "accepting" I think the majority are accepting of people that do whatever they want to do.. it IS that independent spirit but at the same time I've had more rudeness towards me here than ever in my life.. I even lived in NY and thought the people were nicer. And I don't even TRY to slam WY, people get very very defensive, which is understandable.. but I do feel like it is my duty to warn others that may come from a similar culture about Wyoming's major "cons" Wyoming tends to "gloss" over its downfalls and not be honest about them.. then again.. pick up a history book.. it's pretty common for the state.
Yes, pick up a history book and you will find that Wyoming, "The Equality State," was the first territory and then later the first state, to ever give the vote to women, refusing to back down from that stance even when it threatened their impending statehood. Seems as if the male politicians voting on Wyoming's statehood wished to deny it based upon the fact that women were on the way to achieving political equality in Wyoming.

As far as people being rude in Wyoming--I've been all over this state since moving here last August. I've never experienced any sort of rude behavior. As a matter of fact, I've found that most folks here will go out of their way to be kind and to offer assistance whenever needed. My husband and I slid off of the road and got stuck in two feet of snow last November on an extremely desolate road. The first vehicle that came down the road stopped, the guys got out, and spent 30 minutes in sub-zero temperatures and 50 mile an hour winds trying to extract our Jeep from the snow. They refused to leave us to go call a tow truck and kept at it until they were able to help us back onto the road.

By the way, I work out and there are NO signs in my gym asking folks not to spit in the trash cans and amazingly enough--no one does.

All of you Wyoming haters, please continue to do so. I love this state, rough weather and all, and I love the low population here. Do us all a favor and stay put where ever you may be. You are most definitely NOT cut out for life in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming