Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,229 times

Advertisements

I'm struggling with a response that is "fair and balanced". I guess I'll just say that there are bigger considerations going on in your life than "you". You are moving to an amazing and beautiful area. There is much to offer if you'll pick your head up and look around. When you need those "finer things of life", drive a couple hours to Jackson. In the course of living in several places in WY, Dubois was one of my 'stops along the way'. I lived there for just one year. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the Dubois Kiwanis Club, which I joined, was the highest performing chapter in the whole state, at that time! Dubois was populated by around 900 good people "on a good day". I learned that back when it was mandated that all clubs, service and otherwise, had to allow women to join, all the men in the Kiwanis in Dubois quit! Sooo, the women took over and built it to a great chapter. When I was there, the men were filtering back in.

You need to find it within yourself to support your husband, look around and find the great and unique in Wyoming. You're wasting precious time feeling sorry for yourself. It's all there waiting for you! BTW, if you have any "green" to you and care about the environment, look up NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) in Lander. It's world famous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times
Having moved from the "Twin Cities" to Lander in 98 I can understand your trepidation...it will take time to adjust. But, as dori pointed out, the area is a plethora of things to cherish and enjoy.

Slowing down from the pace of big city life will take you time to adjust to, no doubt. My biggest difficulty was getting used to the lack of greenery. So have a house plant or two, get a pet if you can/want. The library in Lander is fabulous. There is a small movie theatre...and the college in Riverton has a theatre where you can see plays and such. While it's not the Gutherie, allow yourself to appreciate that people in WY do like cultural events too. As others have said, Jackson's only an hour and a half away or so. My sister, daughter, and I had a great time over Christmas holiday there. (Harrison Ford and Calista Flockheart has a place in the area). Not sure why you were making the statement about "Jackson" being the nearest resort... if you're from Minnesota the downhill skiing opportunities are a lot farther away than that. And WY winters are pretty mild (temperature-wise) compared to MN. Sure you'll get snow in most months..but it doesn't last. The low humidity makes up for it. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine.

While I'm not sure what a MBA in finance does..am guessing along the lines of accounting? I plugged in "finance" in the job search on http://www.wyomingatwork.com/ there were a couple jobs listed that might suit you in the Lander/Riverton area. (Chief Financial Officer at the college, and an auditor position) both of which paid really well. Not your "flippin' burgers or retail." You really need to stop assuming and start looking for the good in your situation. If you love your husband, then you need to make the best of it. No one said life is easy, but Wyoming is far from being thrown in the worst place on earth.

Just my two cents worth. Best of luck to you...but really do try to look on the bright side..you are with the man you love and he has a job in this economy. There are many not so fortunate.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM

63 posts, read 186,968 times
There are lots of reason why Wyoming only has approx 500,000 people, all center around it is not for everyone. That being said. Make sure you live in LANDER, rather than Riverton. Give it time. Try new things, but don't expect it to be like the twin cities, maby more like "Dirty old Men" with ice fishing that is not quite as good.

I can't say it enough, LIVE IN LANDER, DO NOT CONSIDER RIVERTON. and give it time. Lots of good points you just have to find them. Good folks from all around the world living in small towns with no locked doors, good schools, low crime, and a good attitude.

The reaction you are having to the altitude will stop, the dry skin will not. I alway seem to hear a story of someone having a super expensive bottle of face cream in their carry on while traveling home and losing to to airport security, so buy lots of expensive skin cream.

Roads in the winter can be absolutely bone dry. Jackson is 2-3 hours, Casper 2 hours, and recreation in the snow 30 minutes. BUT if you don't have a choice you will just have to get used to it. Sorry if you can't make the transition, but most can't or don't even try.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
I stumbled on this post completely by accident. Just wanted to give you something to think about...

My daddy was a career military officer. We moved about every three years my entire life. I married an soldier. And we moved all over the world. My husband now works for the Federal Government and we are still moving every three years of so.

If you try, you will find something to like about your new home. The moment you hang the first picture you are "home". And your new home will be exactly what you make it. Get involved in your community. Join local community groups. Volunteer until you find a job. If y'all are people of faith, get involved with your church.

You aren't moving to Thailand or Africa. And trust me...we've done the crazy overseas moves. You're not even moving that far from home. You'll be fine. Just jump in with both feet and make a decision to enjoy your time there. You can't see in the future. We don't have any guarantees about tomorrow. All we have is this very moment!

...and you might just LOVE IT!

Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
hey backstreetsback. it has been a few years since you posted your move. i hope everything is going well for you. i find myself in a similar situation; as we are going to be moving to the riverton area soon. i am a little nervous by the small size.. we currently live in wichita, ks not as big as minneapolis but we have gotten used to conveniences that may not be in riverton. we are having a hard time getting online info on rentals. went to several sites but not much luck.. even on city-data site. the online paper doesn't get updated very often; and with the realtor listings online there are houses to buy not rent. do you or anyone else have suggestions? we are going to be moving right around christmas (dec 20) h e l p! this looks like such a beautiful area and we want to have all the housing options available before our house hunting trip 11/30

Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Good luck on that! I live in one of the more advanced areas of Wyoming and PC's aren't very popular here either. You'll need to find a realtor or property manager there and have them e-mail you some listings for rentals. Don't bother with Craigslist, only a few dozen people in the state have heard of it and they all live in Casper and Cheyenne.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,401 times
Yeah, I was born and raised in the heart of Denver and went to school in Riverton for a year, and that was a nice balance, but only because I was able to go home so frequently (six hour drives get real short when you do 'em that many times). But for anything farther, I imagine I would have reacted about like you. More of a stranded feeling than a low-intensity change of pace. I loved my time there, loved the people I met and visit quite frequently now, but distance is a real mood killer.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backstreetsbackALLRIGHT View Post
Hi all--

I hope I do not offend the people of this forum with this post, but I need some sense knocked into me, I guess.

My DH accepted a job in Wyoming and we are moving to either Lander or Riverton. We recently spent 2.5 weeks staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Riverton--in fact, this is my first day home from our trip. I boarded the plane IN TEARS--not tears of joy, but tears as, "I do not like this place."

We currently live in Minneapolis. I have lived in Minneapolis my entire life. I LOVE IT HERE. I am a city girl through and through. My taste of "country life" involved going to my cabin in rural northern MN my entire childhood and teen years. I liked the cabin well enough, but always couldn't wait to get back to the city, because I felt isolated and cut off from society, even for just a weekend. Needless to say, I do not like small towns.

The first few days were fine, but after that, I was already feeling depressed, cut off and isolated. The elevation gets to me--I lost my appetite, experienced headaches and my skin looks and feels terrible.

I don't like the lack of services, shopping options and entertainment. I am currently unemployed due to a layoff and I do not see where I could get a job that's not flipping burgers or working retail. I have an MBA in finance and formerly worked at a large corporate headquarters.

I'm sorry to say this, but Riverton and Lander are not for me and I am depressed as ever. It seems so..dirty. Groceries are incredibly expensive...there is no Target or shopping mall for hundreds of miles. All there is to do here is drink!! Drinking seems like the only thing to do 'round here and that bothers me. I don't hunt, hike, snowmobile, ride horses, etc. I downhill ski, but it looks like Jackson's the nearest resort. I can't imagine when winter hits. Minnesota winters and roads are bad enough...I imagined driving on these roads in the winter and it's already stressing me out.

There isn't an option not to move...please tell me it's not so bad.
Hello, I am from St. Paul and have moved around quite a bit with the Army. I have found a position in Rverton and will be moving there very soon. I have been there on vacation at times. I am optomistic. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times
Is all of Wyoming like this or just certain parts of it? I'm interested in moving to the Sheridan area however if my wife feels like the original poster does about Lander/Riverton, then I'm in a heap of dog doo doo.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Is all of Wyoming like this or just certain parts of it? I'm interested in moving to the Sheridan area however if my wife feels like the original poster does about Lander/Riverton, then I'm in a heap of dog doo doo.
You guys should visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming