Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 16,221 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate in May with a Bachelors degree in telecom (tv production). i grew up in New Jersey, but hated the "urbaness" so i went to college in tennessee, it's great here but it's not as open and rural as i had wanted. so now that i am about to graduate, i am posed with a huge decision about where to go next. I would really like to move to the mid west, get a good job and start my life and family out there. currently I am looking at Casper WY. as they have 5 affiliate tv stations, what looks like a great economy, low taxes and lots of land surrounding the city. However, I would be more than happy to Not work in the broadcasting field, i worked with my father this past summer in a factory setting and loved it, while growing up i worked on a few farms, and also love agricultural work. What i am trying to say is that I'll work just about any kind of job, I love working hard, and i love the openness of the mid west. as for my question, does this sound like I'm crazy? how hard do you think it would be to "move out west"? what do you think of Casper? what other places would you recommend? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Well, by choosing Wyoming, you missed the Mid-West by several hundred miles. There is Mid-West, Great Plains and then Wyoming in the Rocky Mountain States.

Other then "more rural", what are you looking for?

Casper has 5 TV stations? Wow. They only broadcast one in my direction.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
We just had dinner this eve with the Casper station engineer ... and were talking about the local cost of housing and the economy of the town. He recently bought his first house for $150,000, and he remarked that it's not in a very nice part of town ... but it was all he could afford after some years of saving up for a down payment.

For the most part, Casper's economy revolves around the extractive industries. There's a fair number of good paying jobs in that sector, which drives the cost of housing up quite a bit. Essentially, a $100,000 house in the Cheyenne area is a $225-250,000 house in Casper.

All of that "open space" lands around Casper, especially to the North ... suffers from either a lack of water or no functional water available. Our friend has to have water trucked in to his place, and most of his neighbors have a pick up truck dedicated to a potable water tank that they use to haul in water.
When I've been in the area, I've noticed that it's pretty windy most of the time, which has made for some very sporting take-offs and landings at the Casper airport and a private strip North of town. In my view, there's few places in Wyoming that are more brutal in the winter than Cheyenne ... but Casper is one of them, especially as one gets into properties above 8,000' elevation.

The desirable housing/lands closer to the mountain are very expensive, and cannot get water, either.

Oh ... as far as jobs in the local broadcasting industry ... the market there is pretty saturated with a bunch of "wanna be's" from more major markets. The pay scales are rather low, too. Ranching or farming jobs in this area are few/far between ... again, with rather low rates of pay.

I'd strongly recommend that you come visit the area for a few weeks ... especially during the mid-winter months ... before making any decision about moving out here. Lining up a job before you move here which pays a living wage at the level you'd like to be living would also be advisable. With the current state of the extractive industries, I don't see housing getting any less expensive, either.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-23-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 AM

258 posts, read 1,000,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, by choosing Wyoming, you missed the Mid-West by several hundred miles. There is Mid-West, Great Plains and then Wyoming in the Rocky Mountain States.

Other then "more rural", what are you looking for?

Casper has 5 TV stations? Wow. They only broadcast one in my direction.
Agreed, ElkHunter! I now live in Michigan and I thought that was still considered the "midwest"!! And, to the person considering the move, with your background, you'll be appalled at the tv station(s) in Casper! On a more positive note, though, I believe that Pete Williams (NBC news correspondent) started in Casper!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
Maybe he is thinking of Midwest, Wy

Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Maybe he is thinking of Midwest, Wy
Sure ... and that's why he posted the same in Montana, South Dakota, and Colorado .... with a specific inquiry about Colorado Springs.

Yeah, Colorado Springs certainly fits the description of escaping from a too busy urban area to a small town, doesn't it?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
just a joke sorry

Old 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
just a joke sorry
It's ok. I got it and also thought it was funny/a joke!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 16,221 times
you guys are all jokers, i didn't necessarily mean "mid west" like Indiana Illinois, etc i really just meant WEST of freaking jersey!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
A former associate of mine did fairly well producing commercial videos and tv commercials, but it was just a part of his public relations business. I'd imagine you'd do better headed in that direction -- contact some of the pr firms around the state and ask if they could use someone with your qualifications. You might get lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming