U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM

15 posts, read 22,807 times

Advertisements

I am originally from New York City. Recently I took a trip to the Jackson area (again), as I am seriously considering re-locating there in the near future. I have years of experience in the hotel industry, and a Masters Degree from NYU. I have been looking into opportunities to continue my career. However I am finding that resort/hotel jobs are mostly seasonal, and often applicants live in a dorm setting, and may work in exchange for meals, and ski lift tickets. I would consider doing other types of jobs, but I don't think I could make ends meet from the salary ranges I am finding. I subscribe to Jackson Hole news and guide, and am always looking at job internet sites. My goal was to have a job lined up before move, but maybe I need to move first, and it might be easier to land a job thru networking once I am there. It Just seems like career opportunities are few and far between. I want to live in / close to Jackson, I have pets, and I wish to rent a small place relatively close to town. Im starting to think I can't move to the place of my dreams because I won't be able to obtain full time employment. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM

8,300 posts, read 22,199,590 times
You are correct that most of the hospitality jobs are seasonal, and not an income level that will allow you to live in the area independently with pets. This is common in this type of ski resort town ... similar to Aspen, or other big name areas, the "town" is at a premium price for the affluent who can afford to spend their money there.

Your niche in this marketplace is to be above the seasonal/hourly level of employment, using your background/degree to get a salaried job. To do so, you'll need to visit directly with the potential hospitality employers in the area. That typically means relocating to the area and networking as needed until you can get "in" someplace. You may find that it's easier to hire into the management of national franchises and later seek a job in a premier resort area ... I've had friends do that with the Marriott and Ritz franchises, and they had to "pay their dues" to get into the top resorts.

Be advised that there's a lot of folk with the same (or better) experience and qualifications as you, seeking these desirable areas to live and work. Competition for the available jobs at this level is intense. Unless you've got a track record that's exceptional and stands out from the crowd of applicants, you'll find it quite a challenge to get a hospitality job at the income level you'll need to be in town. Many workers in Jackson now commute from the Star Valley or from Idaho, where the costs of living are far more affordable.

As it is, the most recent sales tax reports show the area is down in revenues in the last quarters. That's not a good trend for new hires .... where the local economy is on a down trend at this time. Travel and discretionary expenses are not holding very well so far this year, even the Yellowstone NP area has reported substantially less business volume this year for the high summer tourist season.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-29-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM

3,555 posts, read 3,210,644 times
Jackson has an insanely high cost of living. I have looked into it myself but I have since decided against it, regrettably. Even though I could make over $50K a year I would still be in the poorhouse. If you want to live near Jackson you might consider Pinedale. It's a little town (less than 2,000 people) but it has plenty of mountains around and even a small ski hill. I'm not too familiar with the Victor or other places in Idaho that are close to Jackson, but you might consider them as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM

thank you. from the replies its pretty much the way i thought it was. I do know the cost of housing in Idaho or Star Valley is less. However, there weren't many opportunities in Driggs or Victor Idaho which is where i would live if i got a job in those towns, because I do not want to drive over the pass in the winter. I haven't been to Star Valley or Pinedale (although i hear beautiful too) maybe I should investigate those areas and see if the competition is as great as Jackson. Its not like I have to get a job in hospitality industry, but that is where most of my experience is and I have a degree in this field so I thought my chances better. I would take almost any job, but I must be able to support myself (single gal with pets, car, rent, other expenses) even if I could just get by, I think i'd be so happy there with the change of lifestyle.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM

341 posts, read 492,773 times
The good jobs in Jackson are rarely advertised.

Two things you need to do. Research the companies you are interested in and be persistent in keeping in touch with their HR departments.

One of the biggest problems that the local hotel industry has is that the people they hire don''t really understand the financial cost of living here. That means there is a big turn over and the local companies tend to try to hire people that are already here for the more important upper tier jobs.

Do your research, watch all the local websites and keep in contact with the right people.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,236,681 times
Unfortunately, have a pet is going to make looking for a place to rent extremely dificult. Believe it or not there are more places listed in the paper than when I moved there in 1979, You can thank the recession for that, although there were two papers back then, the News and Guide hadn't merged yet. A popular option is to look for a place looking for roommates. Again, a pet will be an obstacle.

As you mentioned living there will provide you a better chance to find housing that will work.

I did have a state job before I moved and the funny thing when I was offered the job I was told they had trouble filling the position as no one wanted to move to Jackson.

I ended up buying a little place in Hoback Junction. I too had no interest in driving from Star Valley or over the pass from spudland.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM

3,555 posts, read 3,210,644 times
I don't know what Star Valley is like, but definitely look into Pinedale. If you can get a job there it's cheaper to live there and I think has very friendly people. You are also only 77 miles from Jackson. Sometimes when I go up in the mountains around Pinedale I kick myself for not taking advantage of a job opportunity I had there four years ago.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,165,911 times
There a shuttle bus runs from Star Valley alot of empoyers pay the cost

Old 10-30-2010, 10:46 AM

258 posts, read 574,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Jackson has an insanely high cost of living. I have looked into it myself but I have since decided against it, regrettably. Even though I could make over $50K a year I would still be in the poorhouse. If you want to live near Jackson you might consider Pinedale. It's a little town (less than 2,000 people) but it has plenty of mountains around and even a small ski hill. I'm not too familiar with the Victor or other places in Idaho that are close to Jackson, but you might consider them as well.
I lived in Jackson for 7 yrs and respectfully disagree with some of this response. The only cost of living I found higher than other areas was housing and gas. Most everything else is not only comparable to other areas but is also, at times, higher quality. Like the variety offered in the grocery stores - both of them. People are willing to live the "ski bum" life because Jackson is a place they've dreamed of being in and it's worth giving up some of the home ownership dream to be able to just "be there". Living in a "dorm" setting is typical for younger people who don't really spend any appreciable time at home but are outside at every available interval and party with friends often.

Pinedale would be a pretty long commute and many times in the winter, you wouldn't make it to work. It's in a well known "snow belt" area. Alpine or Victor are more doable although Victor requires a daily commute over Teton Pass. Surely also doable (zillions of people do it every day) but a New Yorker would have a learning curve to get comfortable on it during the winter.

I'd offer that if the OP really is determined to live in Jackson, and wants a year 'round job, save enough $ in reserve to survive there for 3 or 4 months. Come to town and take whatever kind of job will allow you to get to know the community. I found that retail did that for me. Most pay, even in non-career type jobs, is high enough to allow you to rent. Figure on $1200 to $1500/month for something decent. Most also require first/last/deposit. Many places are furnished so you can try out the valley before moving everything you own there.

Good luck. Don't believe it can't be done .....it CAN. I did it at age 48, on my own, knowing no one in Jackson. I worked retail and also wrote/reported for the Wyoming Livestock Roundup. Ultimately, I got my Wyoming Real Estate License. I stayed for 7 years and loved every minute of it. I moved only because I'm an adventurous type who gets antsy in one place over time. I headed to Cody in 1999 and stayed there 'til I moved "home" to Michigan in 2003. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Thank you , your post most inspiring. I am also of the same age range your refer to when you moved there, and I don't know anyone else in Jackson. However, I am determined to make it work! Thanks again for your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming