Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM

46 posts, read 114,643 times

Advertisements

I might have to take a class at the Cheyenne LCCC campus instead of the Albany County Campus, and I'm debating between waitlisting myself for the online section or signing up for the Cheyenne section.

So just how bad is it? I will have 4WD and tires that are in good shape... should I not even consider the Cheyenne class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM

3,635 posts, read 6,224,528 times
Known a few that live in Cheyenne that driver over to Laramie for classes at UW. Some time they didn't make it but most the time they did.Most had talked with the Proff and made arangement to get class matteral over the internet .
Daughters taking class at LCCC Albany County Campus next semester... she got in a dissagrement with UW over a couple of things. She finish up an associate next fall in Cheyenne.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo1223 View Post
I might have to take a class at the Cheyenne LCCC campus instead of the Albany County Campus, and I'm debating between waitlisting myself for the online section or signing up for the Cheyenne section.

So just how bad is it? I will have 4WD and tires that are in good shape... should I not even consider the Cheyenne class?
We're not even in to the serious storm months of winter yet ... and I-80 has had numerous closures already this year. Due to blowing/drifting snow/black ice/limited visibility/very strong wind gusts ... and this is pretty typical weather in the region. Happy Jack has had even more closures and of longer duration, too.

It's really not an issue that you have 4WD and good tires. When the road is obscured, it doesn't matter what you're driving ... you cannot see the road. If the road is closed, then again ... it doesn't matter what vehicle you've got.

I've had employees that lived in Cheyenne and attended the UW who could not keep a work schedule for me, and they, too had adequate vehicles, and were native experienced winter drivers. Their priority was their classes, so if a forecast had a liklihood of them being stranded, they would head over to Laramie to at least make their classes.

FWIW, even if the road is open ... this can be a real white knuckle drive on many days. Is it really worth it to you to deal with this if you don't have to and can get into the online section?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 13,737,164 times
I haven't driven it in the winter so I don't know from personal experience but 80 is closed frequently. It is a very windy stretch and the snow doesn't have anywhere to go but across the road. Be very cautious.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,722,177 times
I've driven it in winter. Just because it's open doesn't mean that it isn't dangerous. AWD/4WD--better traction, but really cannot be relied upon to keep you safe. The snow blows across the highway and completely obscures vision. Whiteouts are common and the blowing snow hides large patches of black ice.

This is the first time in three years that I haven't been in Wyoming for the winter time. I miss many things about Wyoming, but driving I-80 at this time of the year is not one of them.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM

278 posts, read 604,273 times
Im not trying to scare you, but here is a video of what it can actually look like. This trucker is driving below the speed limit, when many wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbnxxp9_p-0

Last edited by Poletop; 12-03-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,365,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poletop View Post
Im not trying to scare you, but here is a video of what it can actually look like. This trucker is driving below the speed limit, when many wouldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbnxxp9_p-0
Heck, that isn't near as bad as it can be. I've seen it much worse--like when you have to drive at 15 mph or less from delineator post to delineator post--and that is ALL that you can see.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Been there done that. Although my personal "Bermuda Triangle" in Wyoming is I-25 between Casper and Buffalo. Jackaroo, I'm not trying to scare you either, just giving you the facts.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM

46 posts, read 114,643 times
I appreciate the facts! I decided to just stay on the waitlist for the internet course and if I can't get it, find something else (in Laramie or online) to replace that class with. No way I'd want to drive through that crap on a regular basis.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Good thinking, I hope your online classes work well. I've been doing them online or compressed video at the college here in Rock Springs and have yet to set foot in Laramie for any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming