Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 AM

52 posts, read 177,904 times

Advertisements

We are re-locating to Wyoming, very soon. We are torn between Sheridan or Laramie. Can anybody give us the pros and cons of each. How about the employment situation in Sheridan or Laramie??? I am in the hospitality industry and partner is a maint. tech. Also, what town would be more acceptable for a gay couple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM

117 posts, read 525,162 times
Job prospects would also be fairly good in Laramie given the travel to town for University work and events on the hospitality end, and the large college for the maintenance end. I can't speak at all for Sheridan on this front.

Laramie would definitely be more accustomed to that lifestyle being a fairly liberal college town.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,870,703 times
I would consider living in Sheridan, its a beautiful place, great location for enjoying the mountains, cost of living is lower, median household income is higher, median housing cost is lower, unemployment rate is lower. The wind blows harder and temperatures are colder in Laramie, which makes the winters miserable, it is not one of the more attractive areas in Wyoming. I lived there for a while as a kid, and visited during high school, it is one of the last places I would consider moving.

You can compare the demographics here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Laramie-Wyoming.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sheridan-Wyoming.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-23-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 PM

255 posts, read 1,090,966 times
I have to disagree with Captain Ron here about Laramie being in one of the less attractive parts of Wyoming. While we don't have the jewels they have in the western part of the state (Yellowstone, etc.) we do have the Snowy Range and Vedavoo nearby. Both places are really pretty. Sheridan, though, doesn't have much scenery nearby to recommend.

Winters here can be tough, but yeah, they're tough pretty much everywhere in Wyoming. It is very sunny in Laramie, which helps quite a bit.

I really don't think you'd have any trouble in Laramie as a gay couple. There's definitely more of an acceptance of different lifestyles here than one might find elsewhere, but Sheridan is one of Wyoming's larger cities, so maybe it's the same there too.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,910,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
Sheridan, though, doesn't have much scenery nearby to recommend.

Sheridan is one of Wyoming's larger cities, so maybe it's the same there too.

Huh??? Sheridan is nestled up against the Big Horn Mountains, there is plenty of scenery and plenty of outdoor opportunities.

One of Wyoming's larger cities? Sheridan is setting at 15,804 people.

Sheridan has very little wind. How aboujt Laramie?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:22 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,201,924 times
Wow! I have to agree with ElkHunter. Sheridan is gorgeous! The mountains are out the back door and the views are beautiful. You can see the Big Horns from miles away, let alone right in Sheridan! I have no idea where Elder18 got his/her information about the scenery. And yes, Laramie has winters that are MUCH more harsh. Otherwise, I think you'd find things pretty comparable as far as both places, other than Laramie having the University and Sheridan having a smaller college so Laramie is more of a "college" town. Also, if you are used to doing things once in awhile in larger cities, Laramie is close to Denver while Sheridan is quite a ways from what would be considered a "city" for most people. Best wishes to you both!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM

63 posts, read 186,229 times
Sheridan is a great town. Just the right size, a bit lower than most of the state, and a community college in town. Billings is less than 2 hours.

Laramie is an old railroad town. A bit run down but it does have the University so there is Div I football and basketball, plus other college sports. More to do, and close (under an hour) to Ft. Collins and about 2 to Denver and DIA with the Broncos, Avs, Rockies, and Nuggets.

Laraies is windier and colder and higher 7000+ ft, Sheridan is richer, with higher priced housing. Sheridan has the Bighorns, while Laramie has the Snowy Range. Laramie has Alpine skiing don't think Sheridan has any ski area.

Sheridan might have the upper hand in resturants, while Laramie has the upper hand for bars. Laramie is the most liberal place in the state, MS not withstanding.

Either place will be a huge difference from Florida. Better have jobs lined up before the move, as I think jobs will e the final deciding factor. I think I'd choose Laramie if I liked sports and access to big cities, Sheridan if I want to try a small nice town in the northern rockies (Sheridan and Laramie rank with my top towns in Wyoming along with Lander, Jackson, and maybe even Pinedale)

Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,910,995 times
I don't ski so I don't keep up with it. West of Sheridan is Antelope Butte Ski area. I know a few years ago they were in trouble and had to shut down. Then somebody else picked up on it and ended up not being able to finance enough. Then a group picked up on it and was going to reopen it. But then I lost track, did it ever reopen??? Don't often trave 14 over to Greybull so I haven't seen if it's open.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
I'm not sure if Antelope Butte is still there or not, but I know they auctioned most of it off a few years ago. Whether the lifts went with it or not, I don't know. It was never very big but was enjoyed by the locals. My old partner from Greybull told me about how he and some friends used to climb the peak to ski down many years ago, before there was even a rope tow there. Sheridan isn't too far (80 miles?) from Meadowlark Ski Area on Hwy 16, but for a "real ski slope" the closest would be Red Lodge, MT, about 3 hours away. Laramie is only two hours from Steamboat Springs, CO, a first-class ski mountain. Without doubt, Laramie has the advantage for serious skiers.

I'd still prefer Sheridan for my tastes, and I would have years ago when I skied every winter weekend.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM

59 posts, read 225,478 times
laramie is a boring college town. i worked there for 2 years and it was a drag. sheridan is a very nice lil place and close enough to billings when you need a big city fix. big horn mountains, snow machines, skiing, the great outdoors. definately a better choice of the 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming