U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM

17,168 posts, read 20,721,326 times
The main thing is, check with the county. Sheridan County adopted the IBC several years ago and a permit is required. You may, or may not get inspected for structure, but will more then likely get inspected for electrical, plumbing, and final.

The Town of Sheridan also adopted the IBC and you will be inspected in all phases of contruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

14,069 posts, read 18,433,190 times
I just wanted to add that the UBC Residential building code, as referenced by ElkHunter earlier, is also equally acceptable, use whichever is most common in your area as the builders and designers will be more familiar with it. If you are around Sheridan, it sounds like the IBC is the one to use. It seems to be a trend that more and more cities are adopting it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM

60 posts, read 142,893 times
I am somewhat confused by the original post. If someone plans on building a home I am sure they would have a specific area in which they intend to build. Asking about building codes and lack thereof within the entire state of Wyoming is rather broad.

Perhaps some specific areas would yield some more specific answers.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM

14,069 posts, read 18,433,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Hare View Post
I am somewhat confused by the original post. If someone plans on building a home I am sure they would have a specific area in which they intend to build. Asking about building codes and lack thereof within the entire state of Wyoming is rather broad.

Perhaps some specific areas would yield some more specific answers.
A lot of people probably don't realize that building codes are usually adopted by Cities, not statewide. There is no one size fits all answer. The code adopted can vary from city to city. State and other government facilities are usually exempt from city codes even when in the city limits and will sometimes adopt one of their own. Where I live currently if you are outside of the city limits you are subject to county codes, which are often little or nothing.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM

60 posts, read 142,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
A lot of people probably don't realize that building codes are usually adopted by Cities, not statewide. There is no one size fits all answer. The code adopted can vary from city to city. State and other government facilities are usually exempt from city codes even when in the city limits and will sometimes adopt one of their own. Where I live currently if you are outside of the city limits you are subject to county codes, which are often little or nothing.
I agree, thats why I asked for a specific region. To broad of a question to be answered accurately.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM

192 posts, read 136,369 times
Although I'm new to the area this is my business and I'm learning fast. I just now returned from a Land Development Workshop given this morning by the Sheridan Public Works Department covering a general overview of County Planning and Zoning.

In general Wyoming residential building construction codes are municipal or county. For Sheridan they are the "IRC [Internalional Residential Code]", which covers 1 and 2 family residences and the "IBC [International Building Code]", which covers everything else. Sheridan also references several other codes to cover renovations, gas, plumbing, and mechanical.

Sheridan also references the National Electrical Code, which, to my understanding, for 1 and 2 family residences, is also the only State-wide building code. As such, even though it is referenced by the municipality and you must follow it, Sheridan does not enforce it because it is a State code. Also, the State only enforces it up to the shell of the house. Therefore, inside the house there is no enforcement of the electrical code.

Sheridan County does not have any building construction codes. Their responsibility is to review Planning & Zoning issues that have already passed muster for projects within the jurisdiction of the municipality of Sheridan and they have original jurisdicition over Planning and Zoning issues that are outside of the municipality of Sheridan.

The entire list of building codes that apply to the municipality of Sheridan [which also includes a zone around the urban compact zone, meaning beyond city limits] can be found on the web site for the City of Sheridan, Public Works Department, Building Division.

City of Sheridan : Building Division (http://www.city-sheridan-wy.com/info/pwd-bd/index.php?sid=pwd-s1 - broken link)

The following technical codes are hereby adopted with the intent and purpose of replacing the outdated technical codes currently adopted by the City Of Sheridan, with the following updated technical codes establishing the rules and regulations for all buildings, structures, site development and maintenance, and construction in the City Of Sheridan in place thereof, except as amended in subsection B. below, as follows:

The “International Building Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “International Residential Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “International Existing Building Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “International Fuel Gas Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “International Plumbing Code” 2006 Edition, in its entirety, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “International Mechanical Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended
The “Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Building”, 1997 Edition as adopted and published by the International Conference of Building Officials, as amended
The “National Electric Code” 2008 Edition, as adopted and published by the National Fire Protection Association, as amended
The “International Fire Code” 2006 Edition, published by the International Code Council, as amended

It is obvious that to work your way through all of this will require the guidance of the Code Enforcement Officer. They will want at least 2 inspections. The first is the trench that you will have to dig to examine the soil to establish the requirements for your septic system. This trench will have to extend 4 feet below the bottom of the leachfield. The second is a final inspection of the completed building. Any inspections in-between appear to be at the discretion of the Code enforcement Officer.

Good luck. And if you require any help jumping through the hoops just PM me and I'll try to head you in the right direction.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
- snip -

Sheridan County does not have any building construction codes. Their responsibility is to review Planning & Zoning issues that have already passed muster for projects within the jurisdiction of the municipality of Sheridan and they have original jurisdicition over Planning and Zoning issues that are outside of the municipality of Sheridan.

- snip -
That's not how I read it, although I could be confused, but on the COUNTY site, they list that they adopted the IBC in 2006. And there is a list of codes like electrical, plumbing, fire, etc. See Chapter II.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 66,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's not how I read it, although I could be confused, but on the COUNTY site, they list that they adopted the IBC in 2006. And there is a list of codes like electrical, plumbing, fire, etc. See Chapter II.
around my area { north east pennsylvania } its up to the local township to enforce them . our county adopted the ibc building codes back in early 2000 but our township only started to enforce them right around 2007ish and even then its kind of do what ever you please due to man power to enforce them .

im following along becuase i bought land in park county and from talking to the permit office i need just a general permit from them and a septic . electrical just needs to be inspected and certified hookup . thats what i was told .

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM

1,939 posts, read 1,887,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225digger View Post
around my area { north east pennsylvania } its up to the local township to enforce them . our county adopted the ibc building codes back in early 2000 but our township only started to enforce them right around 2007ish and even then its kind of do what ever you please due to man power to enforce them .

im following along becuase i bought land in park county and from talking to the permit office i need just a general permit from them and a septic . electrical just needs to be inspected and certified hookup . thats what i was told .
there are ranches here that are a whole township

Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225digger View Post

Here would be my concern. Sheridan City has a building code and is strictly enforced. The county has a building code and sometimes is, but mostly is not enforced. Then, there is a zone around the city that is called "The Comprehensive Planning Zone" where it's in the county, but the city expects to expand into that area in the future. So the Comprehensive Planning Zone has to meet City Code.

Say I build a building in 2012 and because I'm in the county, I don't worry about building code. In 2014 they now incorporate my land into the Comprehensive Planning Zone. In 2015, I build another building. The building inspector that comes out sees the first structure and asks when it was built. Well, the regs I sited above says the county adopted IBC in 2006, so truth be known, my building should have met specs and it doesn't. I'm not grandfathered in because Code went into effect in 2006 and I built in 2012. Regardless of whether I was inspected, or permit was enforced at the time I built it, it should have been up to code.

Or say I try and sell it. They hire a company to come out and inspect and they discover it's not up to code at time of building. I'm stuck with having to bring it up to code and I also could be fined.

I used to be a licensed contractor and built buildings all over the place. I have 360 building standing in Sheridan, Gillette, Casper, Rock Springs, Story, Ranchester, Parkman, Busby Montana, etc... When I had my company, we obviously built in the county. Out of about 70 buildings in the county, I saw a County boy out at my building once. But he was out there to take a look.

But my buildings had NO plumbing or electrical or furnace. I'm not sure how often they would actually get out to inspect a building that had all of those things or if they even would come out.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-20-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming