U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 AM

4,977 posts, read 4,000,406 times

Advertisements

The right to carry concealed without a government permit has been reported favorably in the State Senate in a 4-1 vote. Now is the time for our state to be the fourth to recognize the Second Amendment. It looks good this time; the legislation in Arizona has really helped. Get hold of your rep. and senator. Let them know that this is a priority piece of legislation. The NRA is giving it full backing.

Let's let everybody know that in Wyoming the US Constitution means what it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 AM

17,903 posts, read 22,600,907 times
You make it sound like a sure thing Happy. It's not. The only thing it's done so far is pass committee.

I've got mixed feelings about this bill. Yes, it restores our freedoms doesn't it? Restores freedoms by creating another law with strict guidelines and limitations.

I have a CWP. But this bill scares me to death. When I think of this bill passing, I think of a person in my neighborhood. He's attempted suicide twice. He's flown off the handle and has had to have the sheriff out here on numerous occasions. But by golly, we're going to make it legal for him to carry concealed.

And don't give me the "We're restoring freedom" crap. I don't buy it. This bill removes the requirement of having a fingerprint taken. It removes the requirement to demonstrate proficiency. It removes the requirement of a background check. It removes the requirement of paying a fee every 4 years. If the current law keeps the crazy people from carrying a weapon concealed, I'm all for it. I'll pay the fee.

Why can't people get the permit? Are they afraid? Can they not pass a background check? Are they not proficient with a firearm? If they can't do those three things, I don't want them carrying a weapon concealed.

The State of Wyoming is already an "Open Carry" state. You can strap on a loaded pistol to your belt and go just about anywhere you want to go in the state. There are limitations, like courtroom and such, but that's only common sense.

Like I said, I own a hell of a lot of firearms and I burn a lot of powder. I have a CWP. But I don't like this law. If they put it up for public to vote, I'd vote against it. I think the Gentleman from Gillete is the only sane one that voted.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 13,516,876 times
The people who want to do crazy or bad things with guns will carry them regardless of any law to the contrary. WY is already an open carry state anyways...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
And don't give me the "We're restoring freedom" crap. I don't buy it. This bill removes the requirement of having a fingerprint taken. It removes the requirement to demonstrate proficiency. It removes the requirement of a background check. It removes the requirement of paying a fee every 4 years. If the current law keeps the crazy people from carrying a weapon concealed, I'm all for it. I'll pay the fee.

Why can't people get the permit? Are they afraid? Can they not pass a background check? Are they not proficient with a firearm? If they can't do those three things, I don't want them carrying a weapon concealed.
Treat people as criminal suspects because they wish to exercise a constitutional right. Make them prove that they're innocent; otherwise consider them guilty. Don't trust citizens; protect them from themselves. That's not the reason my ancestors fought a bloody revolution, risking everything. That is the reason, though, that we have the Second Amendment.

Should people be forced to undergo a reliability check before they exercise other rights. Should they be fingerprinted before they're allowed to use the internet? That would probably prevent crime. Perhaps they should undergo a background check before they're allowed to attend church. You never know what they'll be doing there.

We already have a "permit". It's called the Second Amendment.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 AM

You were born in the USA? Do you have a birth certificate? Did the birth certificate give you life? No. It just documeted what was already.

The Second Amendment doesn't give you the right. You already had it. It just documented that right.

Like I said. I have no heartburn with guns. I have no heartburn with sane individuals owning and carrying guns. I do have heartburn witha blanket policy allowing everybody, even that drunken crazy fool, to carry concealed.

There is nothing stopping you from getting a permit. You have to get one to go fishing. To go hunting. To drive a car. To practice medicine. To own a cab. To drive a truck.

What I'm saying is that if you don't qualify to get a permit, maybe you shouldn't carry concealed.

Fingerprints? You are fingerprinted to join the service. You are fingerprinted to become any kind of law enforcement. You are even fingerprinted if you want to pawn that old stereo.

In reality, I hope the law passes. I'm just concerned about people like my neighbor. Right now, he fears getting caught carrying a concealed weapon. If the law passes, he will no longer have that fear.`

I feel that getting a permit is a little price to pay if we can keep my neighbor from being armed and we don't know it. He's bypolar and can snap at any second. The big problem is, he's not the only person in the state of Wyoming that is questionable.

I haven't seen what the committee passed. I wonder what, if any, restrictions will apply. For instance, carrying in a courthouse, a bar, a school, a goverment office, etc... Have you seen anything on the bill, other then what the media has published? If so, where can I find it?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2011/Introduced/SF0047.pdf

It's a start.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,905,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The people who want to do crazy or bad things with guns will carry them regardless of any law to the contrary. WY is already an open carry state anyways...
Is the open carry in Wyoming truly open? I know that many states have open carry laws on the books, but exercising that freedom could land you in hot water in many areas. I've seen and heard of many instances in metro areas where cops often ignore open carry and will immediately treat someone with a side arm or rifle as a threat. Usually it is law enforcement ignorance, but often it is local governments who simply don't like the law and try and intimidate people in to not carrying.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Yes, Wyoming is an Open Carry state.

I've never seen a problem here. I've even seen people in Wal-Mart with a side-arm belted on.

Happy, thanks for the link. I saved it and will read it shortly.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:25 PM

900 posts, read 378,221 times
The thing, elkhunter, is that the people you fear will be able to carry a gun without a permit can and do already. Permits are a little bit stupid IMO. I've got an Idaho and Utah CCW but I would carry a weapon if I felt like it, permit or not. I got the permits only because they were easy to get. But I've carried concealed for years even in a state that didn't issue permits.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM

8,287 posts, read 22,030,562 times
I'd have a concern about how other states reciprocity would be affected by this change in Wyoming's statutes when we travel out of state. We certainly woudn't have as rigorous a permit qualification process as they have ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming