Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 AM

10 posts, read 22,668 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be driving out to Rawlins in March for a job interview. He has a degree in criminal justice and has been out of work for close to 3 years now. We are currently living in Vancouver WA and the economy here is VERY bad. Both prisons in Torrington and Rawlins have openings. Which town/city do ya'll like the best? Pros/Cons? We have 3 small children ages 8,6, and 1. I'm also in Collage for medical billing and would like to find a job in that profession once I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Torrington is a nicer town -- cleaner, greener, milder weather and not so isolated. It's Wyoming's "midwestern" town, supported by farming more than by ranching and oil. It has a more stable population base.

Rawlins is in the high plains -- semi-arid, wind-swept, very isolated. You've got to look hard to see the beauty of Rawlins. But, and this is a big one, it's within a couple hours drive of some very beautiful mountain ranges, so if you enjoy mountains, camping, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc., you can spend your weekends in some of the most gorgeous county in the land.

Deciding between the two would be a tough decision for me.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
Torrington can grow corn and a garden,Rawlins you be lucky to grow grass in a front yard

Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM

I'm leaning towards Torrington but my husband is already scheduled to go to Rawlins the end of March. How is Rawlins as far as schools go? How many months of sun do you get? What is the average rental price?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtjoray View Post
I'm leaning towards Torrington but my husband is already scheduled to go to Rawlins the end of March. How is Rawlins as far as schools go? How many months of sun do you get? What is the average rental price?
You'll find that in Wyoming, schools are pretty much on a level playing field. They are well funded. The only difference you'll find is in attitude of the teachers. Having not gone to either, I can't speak of attitude.

Of the two towns, I would choose Torrington over Rawlins. Torrington is more of a farming/ranching community where as Rawlins was founded around oil and construction. I used to shop in Rawlins, lived in Hanna, but I found Rawlins a nice little town, just not a lot of shopping to be had. There was a lot more then Hanna though. haha

You can find more data about Rawlins, HERE.

You can find more data about Torrington, HERE.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You'll find that in Wyoming, schools are pretty much on a level playing field. They are well funded. The only difference you'll find is in attitude of the teachers. Having not gone to either, I can't speak of attitude.

Of the two towns, I would choose Torrington over Rawlins. Torrington is more of a farming/ranching community where as Rawlins was founded around oil and construction. I used to shop in Rawlins, lived in Hanna, but I found Rawlins a nice little town, just not a lot of shopping to be had. There was a lot more then Hanna though. haha

You can find more data about Rawlins, HERE.

You can find more data about Torrington, HERE.
Thank you so much. I talked to my husband tonight and he's calling Torrington in the morning to see if he can change his location to Torrington instead of Rawlins. I think I feel more comfortable in that area. In the pictures it looks more like where we live now.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM

18 posts, read 28,851 times
Cool Some more help

Torrington be the place for a family. From person who has bee to many of the towns in Wyoming and not in top corner of it. I have say smaller towns are nice for rasing the kids they get better 1 on 1 with the teachers. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Has anyone heard about living in Torrington and traveling to lusk for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming