Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times

Advertisements

A year ago today we left central California, and all of our family and friends, to start our new lives in Wyoming. It was a huge gamble, a new job and a brand new state and lifestyle for hubby, our two girls and myself, but we hit the jackpot!

We just returned yesterday to our old hometown where we spent Thanksgiving, and there are countless reasons why we couldn't wait to come home. Star Valley has been so good to us. We've made friends easily, the schools here are fantastic, and the beauty of the valley is like something off of a postcard, I can't believe I live here some days.

My kids can safely ride their bikes down the road with their friends and be home before sundown and I don't worry about them. They can walk to the creek and back in our neighborhood, they can have a childhood of being adventurous, instead of playing inside on the video games all day.

The air is clean and fresh. People are helpful and kind. The traffic is non-existent unless you run into a herd of cows on the road, or you're up in Jackson.

I love having four seasons, even if winter is long and snowy, it's better than hot and smoggy. My Honda Civic did just fine last winter with snow tires on, and I didn't even get stuck once. No need for a Subaru after all. 😉

I love the lazy Sundays when the town is basically shut down so you can just kick back and relax with your family, we go on a lot of hikes on Sundays. No rushing around all weekend, it's a slower pace of life and I love it!

This area does have a big LDS influence, and we are not LDS, but I do like how they are very community oriented, and have been very nice to my family on the whole. My husband has made good friends with his co-workers who are LDS, and there hasn't been any issues about his not believing as they do. They are respectful to him, and he is respectful back.

It has taken some getting used to the lack of shopping stores, but Amazon.com gets me what I need in usually two days time and I was never a huge shopper to begin with. I don't care that there isn't a mall, or major shopping centers, I just wish we didn't have to drive to Pocatello to go to the Costco every other month. In the winter the drive over Tin Cup can get dicey. 😶

I do miss the diversity of food options after living in a big town, but the places we have are tasty and we seem to be getting more people trying their hand at the food truck game. I do cook at home more than I used to, and that's probably a good thing. Still I do miss Greek food from time to time.

So despite the odds this California family has relocated successfully in Wyoming and I see no reason to believe that we'll be leaving. I told my hubby I plan on dying here, and I hopefully have a good fifty years in me. I hope we continue to love it here as much as we do right now.

Just wanted to give an update since so many of you on here gave me great advice and help before I made the move. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:45 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I'm very happy for you and your family.

For anyone else considering a move here, they would be wise to read the threads you were on prior to your move. You did a lot of things right. Had the job is a big one. Checking out the available schools and towns. It seems like you researched many aspects of life before coming. Then, too, you were aware that there would be inconveniences. The work commute for your husband was considered. Shopping. Other travel.

Your forethought contributed to your success, IMO.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:39 AM

234 posts, read 267,113 times
Glad to hear it has worked out well for you and your family. You depict a family that has adopted well to the realities of living in Wyoming. Congratulations!

When I first moved here co-workers told me that Wyoming is a 'love it or hate it' kind of place. That advice seems to be largely true. Those who come here expecting a Wyoming that resembles McMansion/shopping mall America will be sorely disappointed. On the other hand, those who want to live somewhere that is different and unique and has it's own beauties, benefits, and challenges will usually thrive.

Hope year two (and beyond) will go just as well for you!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
took mom back to her home in SV(live estate on her home)this faĺl, l see the old place the interior fences are gone as the hay sheds and most the barns and corrals. loved the valley but love NE Wyoming too.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
took mom back to her home in SV(live estate on her home)this faĺl, l see the old place the interior fences are gone as the hay sheds and most the barns and corrals. loved the valley but love NE Wyoming too.
Jody you specifically gave me a lot of great insight and information about living in Star Valley before we moved here and I thank you for that. I had hoped I'd bump into you sometime so I could thank you in person, but then you went and moved away!

I'm glad you are enjoying your new home in NE Wyoming. This is truly a great state, I hope to explore more of it in the upcoming year.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:50 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Sounds perfect! Nicely done.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Jody you specifically gave me a lot of great insight and information about living in Star Valley before we moved here and I thank you for that. I had hoped I'd bump into you sometime so I could thank you in person, but then you went and moved away!

I'm glad you are enjoying your new home in NE Wyoming. This is truly a great state, I hope to explore more of it in the upcoming year.
we got palm trees on the new ranch on a few ridges. well petrified palm .Sue dosn't think it is funny when l ask if she what's to go to the beach.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 AM

83 posts, read 95,817 times
Hi folks - glad to see Crazy's deal is working out. We are inbound to Cody area and thankfully not dependent upon work. Wife is putting in papers now - and I have luxury of taking my work with me (until I finally pull the plug).

I have a question and I cannot find the link.

There was, or is, a great shipper of fruit trees, vines, maples and such - suited for cold weather climates and with all the crap on the internet I cannot find them - some sites look similar.

Is there a "go-to" nursery for bareroot or bucket trees you recall? Sorry for the question - I though I book-marked it. I would welcome any input.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
matt ...

I don't know specifically of a supplier to the Cody area,

but you have an excellent local resource there ... the Extension office in town.

The horticulturist there knows the local sources and is highly experienced with landscaping that will do best there. There's no charge for the Extension services.

When you find a site in Cody, she'll be able to give you some very specific guidelines as to what to plant and how to care for it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-06-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 04:33 AM

12 posts, read 19,736 times
How old are your children? Did they adjust well? Mine are 11 1/2 and 8 1/2 and we are out In Arkansas but debating a move within 2 years. It is just us 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming