Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 62,550 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm a baby-boomer born in 63' and I have to say I TOTALLY disagree with the women's rights movement. Back when I was born women wanted to be treated like men and created a movement to do just that. It succeeded in a way that has had diverse effects for over 40 years.
In the year of my birth, a family could purchase a 3 bedroom home for under $12,000 anywhere in the continental U.S. No one will convince me that inflation alone can cause the median price of a family home to jump over $100k in 43 years. In fact, based on inflation alone, a 3 bedroom home SHOULD cost 80k now.
Women raising a stink in the 60's caused the problems we are all experiencing today. I just happen to be a mom who doesn't want her kids raised in a child care center just to make ends meet. I'm no June Cleaver, but I'd like to hear commentary from other women like myself.
Y'know, no men seem to be chivalrous anymore. MILLIONS of gals are looking for something that no longer exists thanks to the women's movement. I think men need to know that there are MANY gals out there who appreciate their efforts and have NO desire to compete with them. God created MAN first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,149,375 times
I'm just curious enough to bite ... was there a question here or a concern related to Wyoming?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:10 PM

24 posts, read 62,550 times
No, none related to Wyoming. There doesn't seem to be a general US format here, thus, I posed my inquiries in the Wyoming section since we will be re-locating there soon.
Still, I am curious to know what other females and yes males too, think about my hypothesis. Way off or close to the bulls-eye.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreekgal View Post
Hi there,
I'm a baby-boomer born in 63' and I have to say I TOTALLY disagree with the women's rights movement. Back when I was born women wanted to be treated like men and created a movement to do just that. It succeeded in a way that has had diverse effects for over 40 years.
In the year of my birth, a family could purchase a 3 bedroom home for under $12,000 anywhere in the continental U.S. No one will convince me that inflation alone can cause the median price of a family home to jump over $100k in 43 years. In fact, based on inflation alone, a 3 bedroom home SHOULD cost 80k now.
Women raising a stink in the 60's caused the problems we are all experiencing today. I just happen to be a mom who doesn't want her kids raised in a child care center just to make ends meet. I'm no June Cleaver, but I'd like to hear commentary from other women like myself.
Y'know, no men seem to be chivalrous anymore. MILLIONS of gals are looking for something that no longer exists thanks to the women's movement. I think men need to know that there are MANY gals out there who appreciate their efforts and have NO desire to compete with them. God created MAN first.
Wyoming is the "Equality State". In 1920 we had a woman in Government. She did more good for this state then what anybody will understand. We've enjoyed many women in office, they have been links in the chain of this great state.

Now, are you going to see a woman roughneck? Probably not. Are you going to see a woman bank president? Hell ya.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,523 times
I agree with you, shivalry is past dead. Today's young men don't even know what that word means. And where are these women today, that started the movement? My guess is that their gay because no man wants to be stomped on like that. I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks this way, I was beginning to think I was the only one. What were these women thinking anyway, have you seen some of the jobs men have to do, let them do it. I sure the heck don't want to.

I do everything in our house and with the kids as well as my part in our business. I relish the days when he worked for someone else and all I had to do was the house and kids. I didn't know how good I had it, with my boredom. I can't imagine taking my daughter to daycare to go run someone else's company though. Thank goodness I get to have that extra part to my life and still be home and be the mom and wife I always wanted to be.

I was shocked to find out that a friend of mine that lives in a city of around 50,000 people is going to have her 8 year old daughter ride the bus home this year to an empty house. What the heck is wrong with her!!! I'm still shaking my head. But then again she dropped her off at 8 weeks old to go off to work because she had to have all the things she wants. I don't understand that either, women don't make sacrifices anymore. They've gotten soft and don't want to have to carry their load. I can't imagine my husband doing my job, I would feel like a failure. Then again I am a control freak, I want it done my way when it should be done.

I think the way you're raised has to have something to do with it. My grandparents raised me on the farm, so I never knew what a day care was. Maybe if your tossed into one you don't think it's such a big deal.

Can't wait to hear the backlash off of this from the working moms!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 101,980 times
Earniefan- yes maybe it does have to do with the way you were raised. I was raised in a single-parent home, and considering the numbers of single-parents homes (the majority being women) there are many reasons for a women to work today. Not only is it just the single-parent homes, but often the cost of living for a family can cost more than 1 adult can bring into the family- and these are just the neccesities. I'm sure you feel blessed that you have all of your needs met through one income.

While I would love to one day not work and stay home with my children (I am not married nor do I yet have children) I understand that due to my school loans and the cost of living may not allow for that. I truly feel that those parents who have the option to stay home are blessed beyond words.

However I do want to mention (as I am a social worker), that while I don't consider myself liberal or conservative, I do feel that women have come a long way in our country. From being able to vote, to have rights in domestic violence cases, to raising the glass cieling on wage earnings, to involvement in political affairs among MANY other jobs that were once considered male only (from teachers to doctors)...among so many more. Women have had a hard struggle similar to the prejudism that has followed many races in the past and we still at times have more room to grow. Today women still only make .70 cents to a man's dollar. Unfortunately that shows itself in the many female single-parent households. Women and children are the primary numbers living in poverty and homelessness. Women also suffer from a higher number of mental health issues that find themselves connected to issues of self-esteem and/or abuse.

While I do agree that bra-burning is not the way to go, I would hesitate to say that women should go back to the way things used to be.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,093 times
Honey, is that you?? Honey, you there? WOW...wolfcreekgal, you sound just like my wife....and here I thought she was the only woman in America that felt that way. Good for you for speaking your mind!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
While I would love to one day not work and stay home with my children (I am not married nor do I yet have children) I understand that due to my school loans and the cost of living may not allow for that. I truly feel that those parents who have the option to stay home are blessed beyond words.
rawethe, I waited to have children until I was 28 years old so that I would be able to stay home with them. Everyone has the option to make that choice. I find it very irresponsible to have children before you're ready to make the adjustments to your life that they deserve for you to make.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Delaneyland - too funny!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Today women still only make .70 cents to a man's dollar.
Part of the reason for this is: Men will go to their boss and say hey I'm working my butt off here, how about a little compensation. Women are not as inclined to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming