U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 4,912 times
Default Traveling Solo - Casper?

Hello all!

This summer, I'm hoping to make a trip to Wyoming. In particular, Casper. For quite a while, I've been entertaining the thought of making a move to Wyoming a long term goal. This is the first opportunity I've had to go explore in person. If I go through with this, I'll be traveling solo and the window could be 4-7 days (depending on money).

First of all, is Casper a good fit? I'm looking for a place to go with everything I could need in a reasonable place. However, I'm also looking for a place where I can still get a feel for the culture in Wyoming. Cheyenne is a tad too busy for my preferences on this trip (although, I do live in Baltimore!), Laramie is too close to the border, and from what I've heard; both are not really reflective of the culture as a whole. Am I right? Wrong?

My main questions are: What can I do in Casper to get a good feel for how it is to live there? What places can I visit and enjoy solo? Are there any areas of town to avoid? Can one get away with flying there and avoiding renting a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,668,238 times
Casper will give you a good feel for the culture of Wyoming. It is the hub of the state (it seems more appropriate for it to be the capital). Casper has pretty much everything you need right there in town. The only people I heard grip about the shopping were people from places like Denver. As far as things to do, check out the Historical Trails Museum (I forget the actual name, it is near the Events Center) and Independence Rock which is a bit of a drive from town but worth it. If you are considering living there I would also check out the mall if you want to people watch. You should also check out the Wonder Bar, it is a pretty nice hangout downtown. Aside from looking wanting everything you need, what else do you want in a town? What kind of job would you be doing if you come there? Also, I would recommend renting a car. There is not much for public transportation and the airport is kind of in BFE. Let me know any other information and how I can help. Welcome to Wyoming in advance!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Casper will give you a good feel for the culture of Wyoming. It is the hub of the state (it seems more appropriate for it to be the capital). Casper has pretty much everything you need right there in town. The only people I heard grip about the shopping were people from places like Denver. As far as things to do, check out the Historical Trails Museum (I forget the actual name, it is near the Events Center) and Independence Rock which is a bit of a drive from town but worth it. If you are considering living there I would also check out the mall if you want to people watch. You should also check out the Wonder Bar, it is a pretty nice hangout downtown. Aside from looking wanting everything you need, what else do you want in a town? What kind of job would you be doing if you come there? Also, I would recommend renting a car. There is not much for public transportation and the airport is kind of in BFE. Let me know any other information and how I can help. Welcome to Wyoming in advance!
Thank you, WyoEagle! I'm going to school to get a History/Humanities certificate. But, to be honest, I could see myself working as a laborer and being very happy. Heck, I work in fast food right now, and I absolutely LOVE it (been doing it for three years).

Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM

404 posts, read 394,998 times
Casper is bigger than Cheyenne ??

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I saw a heck of a lot more cowboys living in Laramie than I do in Rock Springs. I don't know what you mean about Laramie not having the Wyoming culture, I think you're way off there.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 AM

17,182 posts, read 20,778,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
I saw a heck of a lot more cowboys living in Laramie than I do in Rock Springs. I don't know what you mean about Laramie not having the Wyoming culture, I think you're way off there.
I know what you mean, but think of it this way. Cowbody is an occupation, not a mode of dress. Laramie has a lot of folks wearing western wear, but few people working ranches. More college town.

Rock Springs, of course is more Oil and Coal town. Roughnecks (occupation), miners, etc...

I was setting here trying to think of towns that would really bring out Wyoming Culture and I really can't think of any larger towns that do that. Kaycee, Ranchester, Parkman, Wyarno, Buffalo, etc... is where you'll see cowboys, ranchers and the like. Sheridan, some what, but it's getting more like the glitter of western wear and less cowboy. But that's just in my area.

To the OP. It's kind of good that you are going in solo as you don't have to worry about somebody else's agenda.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Elkhunter - I understand what you're saying about mode of dress but there are quite a few real cowboys in that area, as there are quite a few working ranches around that area also. Yes there are college students but there are also hippies and cowboys and regular folks. It's a nice melting pot of all that is Wyoming IMO. I just don't want the poster to think that because it's close to the border that it isn't authentic, every where in Wyoming is authentic. To me what makes Wyoming is the attitude of the people, not how they dress or what they do. It's a way of life and something someone from Baltimore knows nothing of.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 PM

8,470 posts, read 10,867,277 times
Casper is an excellent choice for a place to visit, I really like the town. There is nowhere in WY to "avoid" for fear of urban safety. I think you may be in for a shock as to how small it is though. I'd be hard pressed to keep myself entertained in Casper for 7 days. If I were you, I'd rent a car and explore the state, and use Casper as my jump off point.

Cheyenne is not a "busy" place, in fact, it feels smaller than Casper (IMO).

IMO Laramie doesn't experience any Colorado cultural overlap. It's its own place.

Buffalo, Douglas, and Wheatland are nearby "cities" (lol) to Casper that are pretty representative of WY cultures (not Sheridan though IMO).

Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 PM

"IMO Laramie doesn't experience any Colorado cultural overlap. It's its own place."

I believe it's where the term "greenie" was coined wasn't it? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming