U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 AM

17,181 posts, read 20,762,087 times
The largest Elk herd in the lower 48 lives in the Red Desert. Wamsutter is in the middle of it. Just venture out of town a ways on country roads and you'll find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,894,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The largest Elk herd in the lower 48 lives in the Red Desert. Wamsutter is in the middle of it. Just venture out of town a ways on country roads and you'll find them.
the largest desert elk herd
Red Desert is Home to the Largest Desert Elk Herd | AmericanProfile.com
largest elk herd
Answers.com - What is the largest elk herd in the world

Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM

14 posts, read 21,419 times
Thanks Elk Hunter. And WyoEagle that does sound interesting. I will have to remember that.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM

404 posts, read 394,998 times
I wouldn't make a pot of soup with it! We went to a restaurant here in Rock Springs one night and I drank their lemonade because the obvious alkaline flavor of the water was unbearable. Well silly me, the next day I had the most interesting color of *ahem*. Clearly not good for your system! I recommend a water filter on your faucet so you can use it for cooking or drinking. We use one no matter where we're living. I believe it will work to remove the alkaline along with the other impurities.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

6,513 posts, read 8,095,993 times
When I moved to Gillette 40 years ago you could tell the folks who had lived here a few years because they all had orange t-shirts... and if they were natives they had orange teeth. Roy Mapel, the radio station manager at the time, told me that, and it was pretty accurate.

I hated ordering coffee because it always had an oil slick on the surface, and if you tried to mix coffee creamer in it, it wouldn't completely dissolve and looked like curdled milk. We had a water softener and filter at home that took care of that -- and still do today even with the HARD Madison Formation water, but for some reason most of the restaurants didn't figure that was necessary. They still don't. Quiznos is the only restaurant that I know of in Gillette that has a softener.

But I will admit, the water is 1000% better here now than it was in 1971. The water treatment plant gets rid of lots of the foul taste and color. Softening is left up to the end user.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,668,238 times
I guess I must be pretty used to the water in Rock Springs. I don't notice anything with it. Casper's left some pretty noticeable spots on everything but tasted okay.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

404 posts, read 394,998 times
I've never noticed anything in Rock Springs water, White Mountain Mining is on a well, that's the restaurant I was referring to.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,518,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
SnowWhite the best place to see elk is the National Elk Refuge in Jackson in the winter. It's a bit of a haul from Wamsutter but well worth it. I've never taken the sleigh rides but it looks interesting. They take you in a sleigh pulled by Clydesdales pretty close to the herds. If you drive on the back side of the refuge from town you can see bighorn sheep.
I agree...though the winter we went there wasn't enough snow so we took the "wagon" ride.. it was still fun and we got to see a lot of Elk, and a coyote. The wildlife art museum there is pretty spectacular as well. I thought it (the elk refuge ride) was open year round though, or do the animals move up into the mountains then?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 21,419 times
I do notice at times the water here feels like you still have soap on you after you shower. Would that be the softener? It's not all the time. Just a few days every now and then. And the hot water is milky looking.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM

14,075 posts, read 18,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite34 View Post
I do notice at times the water here feels like you still have soap on you after you shower. Would that be the softener? It's not all the time. Just a few days every now and then. And the hot water is milky looking.
In my experience that is common with water softeners. I have a hard time telling when to stop rinsing the soap off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming