U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,515,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calruby View Post
And if the humidity in most of WY is higher than it is here, it would do me in.
I come from a fairly high humidity area in Minnesota, where walking outside is like breathing in a steamy shower room... but when I lived in Lander I found just the opposite.. humidity around 35%-65% and dry...but warm in the summer... and the winters weren't as bad as MN ones...though WY does tend to get snow in strange months (June, July, August) Here's the city data humidity chart on Lander to give you an idea:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,327,206 times
I've lived in both northwest and southwest Wyoming. On really hot days the humidity ranges from 10-15%. The heat index is always lower than the ambient temperature.

Snowfall and snow on the ground vary with locaation. When I lived in SW Wyoming there were times when I didn't go out of 4WD for a week. Here it comes and goes, usually within a few hours.

I remember a trip to California long ago without air conditioning. Stuck in traffic in Sacramento, I thought I was going to die from the heat and humidity. You'll never get that here.

Wyoming people welcome decent people. Being a native doesn't carry extra points. For some reason, however, a few people on this forum seem to have decided to discourage newcomers, all newcomers. I don't mean Sunsprit; he' just cautious, but very honest . Don't worry; you'll be welcome. You won't be the only refugee.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 AM

324 posts, read 270,282 times
Quote:
P.S. I wouldn't move to TX if you paid me!!! I've been there to visit my family and hated the weather. But TX is pretty huge, too. The weather might be different in the northern parts than it is in the southern parts.
West Texas is entirely different than the middle and east parts. West Texas high plateaus remind me of WY & NM - mostly because of the wide open spaces and the oil fields.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 12,505 times
Thanks again!

I live near Sacramento, but we have very low (normal is 15-20%) humidity. Once in a great while, it's higher...but seldom lower. And anytime you're stuck in traffic and not moving in the heat...it's going to be hot! duh!!! I commuted to and from Sac for over a year and I know!!!

@Froggie Legs: I know what you mean about MN. My dad was born there and I have several cousins who would love me to live there. I've only been there once in April 2005. I felt at home. The sky was blue but it was cold. Loved it!!! My cousins only complain about the snow in winter and high humidity in summer. Other than that, they're all great people and I'd love to be closer to them. But like I said, I've never lived in snow (I still have my snow skiis..lol) and I know I couldn't stand the humidity.

I'm looking around CA real estate now...but since I am retired...I'm in no hurry. I only know that I want to move...one day!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 AM

250 posts, read 176,275 times
California has the best weather for retired folks.. Especially the low deserts.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 12,505 times
Yea...I agree. From all the states I've been to, we have the best weather. But I've never lived anywhere else. I'm up in Northern CA and it's nice here. Today the breeze is so cool that it's not even warm. I know it's unusual...but it sure is great!!! I could live where it's freezing cold, but could I shovel snow? I doubt it!!! And I couldn't take the humidity! I couldn't breathe...

Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM

7,892 posts, read 19,819,732 times
Quote:
Yea...I agree. From all the states I've been to, we have the best weather. But I've never lived anywhere else. I'm up in Northern CA and it's nice here. Today the breeze is so cool that it's not even warm. I know it's unusual...but it sure is great!!! I could live where it's freezing cold, but could I shovel snow? I doubt it!!! And I couldn't take the humidity! I couldn't breathe...
Oh oh ... can't shovel snow?

You have just ruled out Wyoming, or ... for that matter ... the Rocky Mountain states region of the USA.

This is serious snow country, and it's not unusual for the snow season to last 8 months (and still have infrequent snowstorms in the other months, too).

Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Oh oh ... can't shovel snow?

You have just ruled out Wyoming, or ... for that matter ... the Rocky Mountain states region of the USA.
I hardly ever shoveled snow - cuz it blew away! Does the same in NM, then the sun burns off the remaining.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM

7,892 posts, read 19,819,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
I hardly ever shoveled snow - cuz it blew away! Does the same in NM, then the sun burns off the remaining.
"hardly ever" ... doesn't equate to

not able to do so ...

And that leaves out the storm cycles where the sun doesn't shine for several days in sub-freezing temperatures, even if much of the snowfall is getting blown around or away ....

nor, for those of us out in the Laramie County areas even on school bus route roads which are the first to be plowed of the county roads ... those days after major storms when the county is unable to clear roads for several days. We rarely have had a winter here when we weren't snowed in for some number of days, and some winters ... that's happened more than a few times during the season.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
"hardly ever" ... doesn't equate to

not able to do so ...
Well, I suppose if I had wanted to shovel I could have. But, why bother, when you don't have to.

Quote:
And that leaves out the storm cycles where the sun doesn't shine for several days in sub-freezing temperatures, even if much of the snowfall is getting blown around or away ....
That was a rare occurrance in Park or Bighorn Counties. I could probably count 15 days in the winter, when that happened. Come on, it's not like we were living in the hollers - like Thermopolis!

Quote:
nor, for those of us out in the Laramie County areas even on school bus route roads which are the first to be plowed of the county roads ... those days after major storms when the county is unable to clear roads for several days. We rarely have had a winter here when we weren't snowed in for some number of days, and some winters ... that's happened more than a few times during the season.
That's down in Cheyenne someplace - where there are whiteouts nearly everytime it snowed on 25 & 80? In NW Wyo, the DOT was out from the first snowflake until the roads were clean. The counties did their share up to the turn-arounds and it was up to you to clean off the remaining. I can remember only once getting snowed in - January 1985. I 'heard' of another date January 1997 when Park Cty got 18" on the level and 36-42" in the mountains.
That's kinda rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming