U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 PM

786 posts, read 1,886,607 times
Default Wyoming vs. other western states

I too am trying to find a place to live. Can anyone please tell me what makes Wyoming a better place than Idaho, Montana, or Colorado?
Are the winters similar to those states?
where is your main airport?
is it windy everywhere in Wyoming?
what is the best thing about Wyoming?

I am looking for a town that is not too big but still has all the amenities you need and is within driving distance to the airport.

Any advise would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:11 PM

357 posts, read 1,141,002 times
I don't think Wyoming is necessarily better than other western states. I think they all have a similar feel and culture, but Wyoming has a lot more open spaces than most other states. I have found that you see a lot of Colorado license plates up in Wyoming. The reason is not that Wyoming is better than Colorado, but there are far less crowds here, so they come up to enjoy the emptyness (that is my theory of course). Wyoming is my home state, so there is a special place for it in my heart, but I could see myself living happily in any western state. Wyoming is windy, yes, maybe windier than the other western states, but it's not all windy. If you live up against the mountains, I think it tends to be a little less windy (Sheridan, Lander, Buffalo, Cody). If you want to live in a town with amentities, and near an airport, that could be tricky. Things are very very spread out here, with not many "big city amentities" (although that is changing all the time). Casper has a lot to offer as well as one of Wyoming's biggest airports, but it is very windy there. Sheridan is not far from Billings' airport, and Laramie and Cheyenne are not too awful far from Denver. So, I hope this helps a little.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:45 PM

17,425 posts, read 21,651,985 times
Sheridan is nice. Although we do have an airport, so if you need to, you can fly in and out. But it's a "wing" of the airline industry. The plane that comes and goes is a little thing. Plus it's costly. So is Billings. It's a "wing". You can save about $300 if you drive to Denver and use them.

But air transportation is here.

If you are in an industry that requires flying, don't move here. If you are only concerned that you might have to fly to family, this will work.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 PM

786 posts, read 1,886,607 times
Default Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethewest View Post
I don't think Wyoming is necessarily better than other western states. I think they all have a similar feel and culture, but Wyoming has a lot more open spaces than most other states. I have found that you see a lot of Colorado license plates up in Wyoming. The reason is not that Wyoming is better than Colorado, but there are far less crowds here, so they come up to enjoy the emptyness (that is my theory of course). Wyoming is my home state, so there is a special place for it in my heart, but I could see myself living happily in any western state. Wyoming is windy, yes, maybe windier than the other western states, but it's not all windy. If you live up against the mountains, I think it tends to be a little less windy (Sheridan, Lander, Buffalo, Cody). If you want to live in a town with amentities, and near an airport, that could be tricky. Things are very very spread out here, with not many "big city amentities" (although that is changing all the time). Casper has a lot to offer as well as one of Wyoming's biggest airports, but it is very windy there. Sheridan is not far from Billings' airport, and Laramie and Cheyenne are not too awful far from Denver. So, I hope this helps a little.

Thanks so much for all the info. very helpful.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 77,367 times
I grew up in Colorado and moved when I was 18 to Arizona. I have alot of family in Colorado. From what I here things are expensive and lots of people.
People can sometimes be rude. I now live in Buffalo, Wyoming. We moved here this last March. My main reason moving here was to be closer to my father. Thank goodness he lived in a great place. We really like it here. Everywhere we go people are nice. And yes there is ALOT of open space. Seems like you can see forever. If you are an outdoors person there is tons of places and things to see. As for coldness. Wyoming seems to be about the same temps as Colorado maybe 10 degrees less sometimes. I am only going off temps in Buffalo though.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:58 PM

357 posts, read 1,141,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Thanks so much for all the info. very helpful.
You're welcome, and the more I think about it, I think Sheridan would be a good fit for you. It's an absolutely beautiful town and it has a lot to offer for its size (16,000), and it's probably one of the least windy/most mild areas in Wyoming. And like I said Billings (and Casper) aren't too far away for things Sheridan doesn't have.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 PM

7,963 posts, read 15,294,799 times
I am a Colorado native, but I currently live in Wyoming. Though I haven't lived there, I have also spent quite a bit of time in New Mexico. In many ways, what makes Wyoming special is what it has LESS of. First, of course, is a much lower population. The biggest cities, Casper and Cheyenne are around 55,000-65,000--just over a half million in the whole state. Wyoming also has less of the glitzy resort-sprawl development (though that cancer is beginning to spread into some of its most beautiful areas) than Colorado. Of course, Wyoming does not have the quantity of outstanding mountain ranges that Colorado has, but what it does have tend to be pretty splendid and uncrowded.

If you want shopping, glitz, big cities, etc., Colorado has that. If open spaces, unspoiled wilderness, and a feel of the Old West is what you want, Wyoming might be the better choice. I have never been in an unfriendly community in Wyoming, with the exception of Jackson--which many Wyomingites won't even claim as part of the state. Jackson is like many of the Colorado resort towns--people with their nose in the air, unless you are one of the rich (probably non-local) gentry. Aside from that area, I have found Wyoming people to be very friendly folks.

I have lived in great places in both Colorado and Wyoming. The one area I wouldn't live in is the suburban blob that is the Denver metro area. You can live that lifestyle in umpteen cities anywhere in the U.S., and pretty much not be able to tell the difference from one metroplex to the next.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM

866 posts, read 1,597,204 times
In my opinion, overall Wyoming is much more laid back than Colorado. There are of course, laid back areas in Colorado once you get away from the Front Range urban corridor, but overall life just seems more relaxed in Wyoming.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM

11 posts, read 2,500 times
Hi there,

From the above posts it seems that Wyoming "wins" over Colorado and New Mexico if you are looking for authentic American living.

C/W/ould someone please share about its differences (+ and -) in regards to Montana? Places to live, cost of land, people?

Thanks for the time!

Amo

Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,514 times
Taxes are one of things that separates Wyoming from Montana and many other states. Here, the energy industry picks up the tab so we don't have a state income tax and I think our property taxes are quite reasonable compared to other places. We do have sales taxes but they aren't bad.
If you move to a boom town, inexpensive housing (by Wyoming standards) might be difficult to find. But there are places in the state that are quite reasonable.
Right now there are lots of jobs in Wyoming thanks to the energy industry and that looks to continue for the forseeable future. We are a state that lives off of its boom times and a big share of the energy largesse goes into a fund to see us through the lean times and when it gets lean in Wyoming, it gets real lean - there just isn't much economic diversification here.
I think many Wyoming people have a streak of independence (or a streak of cussedness) that's a little wider than you might find elsewhere. We don't like anyone telling us what to do or how to do it - especially the federal government. Wyoming's the least populated state and we like it that way but very few of us are rude to newcomers unless they tried to make us over into the place they came from. We vote Republican except for our governors and just to keep things interesting, we will vote in a Democratic governor every now and then.
Our climate is dry and we do have some wind (keeps the yard cleaned up) and we also have nice sunny days in the winter. Our January thaws often cause my peach trees to bloom too early and they get hit with late frosts so I don't know if I would recommend peach farming here if you were inclined in that direction. But then they don't grow many peaches in Montana either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming