U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,571 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 20s and thinking of moving to Cheyenne when i finish school(2 years). I am going to school to be an RN and I was wondering if there are many jobs there for RNs and if they offer good benefits.I currently live in Michigan and we hate the taxes and economy here. We dont care about entertainment we like to be left alone and spend our time outdoors.I have read many things about the locals not liking new people is this true? we dont want to have to deal with that again cause we used to live in Tennessee and everyone hated us "yankees". I dont mind wind or snow we have a lot of that here in michigan so we were just wondering if this is a good place to move to for a young couple like us. ANY info about cheyenne would be great. also are there any good community colleges around there? THANKS
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 PM

8,326 posts, read 22,531,475 times
I'd urge you to read through the threads about newcomers to Wyoming on this forum. The simple reality is that you'll be welcomed if you leave "home" behind you and come to Wyoming with a good work ethic, an ability to live somewhat independently, and are as neighborly as you'd like to be treated.

Virtually everyone here is from somewhere else, as the state has had a historically low population for a long time. So there's no preconceived notions about being a "yankee" or whatever. Generally speaking, folks here will not make judgements about you unless you're judgemental or start telling us how great it was somewhere else and how they did it back home that was so much better.

RN jobs ... the local hospital has just spent a lot of money on expanding the scope of their services, and I understand is now a Cat2 Trauma Center. They've done a lot of staff hiring in the last 18 months, and I understand that they're not done with that expansion. There's also the VA hospital, and a fair number of independent medical offices in town, so the RN opportunities are here.

LCCC is the local community college. A pretty fair size campus, and one that's big enough to have it's own dorms, no less. Famous for it's equine programs, trade/tech school programs, and a lot of other disciplines.

You'll have lots of locally close access for all kinds of outdoor activity. As the population count is low and the wide open spaces abound, you'll be able to hunt, fish, hike, ride, ski ... whatever is your pleasure, virtually right off your doorstep. The Snowy range is close, Veedauwoo is 20 minutes out of town, grasslands are close by, good big game and bird hunting is close by.

You will have to be independent enough to enjoy the winters. While MI may have it's harsh and snowy, it's a much tougher winter here. We don't have the infrastructure and the population/tax base to keep things going like they do back East. You may encounter closed roads, power outages, wind-blown zero visibility roads with ice, etc, here. Oh, and did I mention that the wind blows here for many months of the year?

There's no state income tax, and the overall tax burden is very low. Housing costs are pretty low, and you can still buy a reasonably priced acreage if you want some privacy and open space to call your own.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 AM

1,919 posts, read 4,001,612 times
Being as young as you are. I'd check into Travel Nursing. When you get out of school. Me and my wife did it and got to see alot of the country on her companies dime. The arranged the jobs, licenseing, housing, ect. All we did was take pots and pans with a cell phone. And picked wherer we wanted to live in next. It was great. As you might know nursing shortages are all over the country. So you will be in the catbird seat. When it comes to working. You can also now work in other countries.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM

291 posts, read 1,450,643 times
Wyoming is a great place to live for the 'right' people. If you come with a love of the area that is shared by the locals, you'll be welcomed with open arms. The weather is a big factor, and it limits the amount of outdoor activities you can enjoy.

"Outdoors" people are dominated by those in hunting and fishing, and less on hiking & camping. It is a reasonable drive to the milder mountains of Colorado with lots of skiing, camping and the infrastructure to provide access to it.

Every one of my friends from Wyoming do not wish to return to live there, even if relatives still live there. The winters are just too brutal and confining. On the plus side, you can easily be 'loners' and pick & choose the local activities that interest you. The biggest event, Cheyenne Frontier Days in June is huge, but you need to be into rodeo & country music to enjoy it.

I love Wyoming, especially the mountain areas of the western part of the state, but i won't even drive through in the winter months...it's just not fun.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Roc

3 posts, read 7,408 times
OK...Bill Radio now I am really scared. I just read your comment about the "right people".........I have NEVER lived in snow.California homegrown girl ,now living in Las Vegas my husbands job will soon transplant us to Cheyenne.I get the staying inside stuff...there are day's it is BLOW-DRYER heat outside ,so it sounds like I will be inside or FREEZE.How cold does it really get?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,480,850 times
My husband, my ten year old son, and I just moved here to Wyoming a few weeks ago. We first came to visit the day after the biggest snow dump of the year this past April 1st. Was it cold? Yes it was, quite. Was it windy? Out on the plains the wind was quite strong, it made standing outside of the car difficult. But with all of that taken into consideration, Wyoming is the most beautiful place that I've ever lived and I've lived in 14 different states. Even with the Laramie Valley covered in snow and temps in the 20's, I fell head over heels in love at first sight with our little neck of the woods.

I'm a California girl who spent a good deal of my life in Texas, but I have to tell you, you couldn't pry me out of Wyoming with a crowbar.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,865,349 times
Quote:
you couldn't pry me out of Wyoming with a crowbar.
I'm coming to the realization that my husband and I feel the same way. As much as we talk about moving away, there's just no place like Wyoming.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM

18,048 posts, read 23,059,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Being as young as you are. I'd check into Travel Nursing. When you get out of school. Me and my wife did it and got to see alot of the country on her companies dime. The arranged the jobs, licenseing, housing, ect. All we did was take pots and pans with a cell phone. And picked wherer we wanted to live in next. It was great. As you might know nursing shortages are all over the country. So you will be in the catbird seat. When it comes to working. You can also now work in other countries.
I have two friends (husband and wife) that are both highly trained nurses. By that I mean they can be used in almost any position as a nurse.

They bought a nice 38ft 5th wheel and a new dodge dually and that's exactly what they do. Their agency also always ensures that they work the same place. 3 or 4 months here, 3 or 4 months there. They did get down in Dallas/Ft worth and got stuck there for a year and a half because there were so many hospitals in need of temp nurses.

Besides making about $35 an hour, each. They are paid something like $1600 a month living expense. Their RV only costs them about $300 a month for space and power. Plus the agency pays them travel when they go to the next place.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,227,357 times
Get this: there is nothing precious, cute, or mild about Cheyenne weather. Last night was a good example. Cheyenne lived up to its reputation as the hail capital of the U.S., getting one of its average of 10 hailstorms per year. Fortunately, the hail did not get bigger than quarter-size from what I heard and saw, but there was plenty of it. It was about 4 inches deep in my yard by the time the storm was over, the storm lasting over 45 minutes at my house. The lightning was unbelievable, though most of it was "cloud-to-cloud." For over an hour, I was counting up to 20-30 visible flashes per minute. During the storm, the temperature dropped from the low 70's to the mid 50's in a matter of a couple of minutes. There are still piles of hail melting in my yard this morning. One heck of a fun storm to watch, but would probably scare the heck out of someone not used to such things--just like a "horizontal snowstorm" (a blizzard) can be pretty unnerving to the uninitiated. Had two pretty good ones of those last winter at my place.

Like a Cheyenne native friend of mine quipped, "Cheyenne weather can certainly be bad sometimes, but it sure as hell never is dull."

Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 2,865,349 times
The electrical storms over Cheyenne are awesome to watch from a distance. We used to live on Pumpkin Vine Road south of Laramie off of 287, it's also accessible from the Buford area off of I-80. Anyway, we used to sit out on our deck and watch the lightening show, it's about 8200 ft out there so you can see really well. It was a spectacular sight to behold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: