Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,285 times

Advertisements

What do you like about living in Wyoming?
What are some smaller towns, with lots of farms/ranches
any good places to live by the mountains that aren't completely isolated from towns with food and all that good stuff.

I currently live in Wisconsin and I love it here but I've just always been interested in Wyoming from pictures to what I've heard about it. I've never been there and hoping one day to take a trip on over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,281 times
there is no cheese in WY.
they have cows but thats whats for dinner!

casper/ decent town but truly a windy city
cody/ is nice but its a tourist town

Old 10-05-2011, 06:20 AM

632 posts, read 1,516,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarter_horse8 View Post
What do you like about living in Wyoming?
What are some smaller towns, with lots of farms/ranches
any good places to live by the mountains that aren't completely isolated from towns with food and all that good stuff.

I currently live in Wisconsin and I love it here but I've just always been interested in Wyoming from pictures to what I've heard about it. I've never been there and hoping one day to take a trip on over!
Have you read through the conversations on this board? There is tons of information from those of us who live here related to your questions.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 47,589 times
Did you know that Cheyenne was named by the AARP magazine as one of the best cities to retire? What is your opinion on that? According to the article, and I quote: AARP Wyoming Director Tim Summers said. “Cheyenne meets many of the criteria for what Baby Boomers are looking for in a place to live. We have a low cost of living, no income tax, no taxes on pensions, low sales tax and one of the lowest property tax rates in the nation. We have a low crime rate, a small-town feel and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, but we also have great amenities, like the Greenway, the Botanic Gardens, the Symphony, a fantastic library, and access to college-level courses at LCCC.”
What about the extremely bad weather in the winter time? My father is 81 and has arthritis (RA) and other muscular and bone conditions, even though he is still very active, love to do the yard and many other outdoor activities. Do you think Cheyenne or any other city in Wyoming will be good for him? How do arthritis patients manage in cold weathers like yours? Once, a retired couple moving to Denver, Colorado told me that it was not so much the cold that affect the muscular pains but the humidity and there was very low humidity in those areas. I will love to hear from you, the ones that live there or have lived there for many years. Wyoming good to retire? Wyoming weather good for old folks with arthritis?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
there is no cheese in WY.
they have cows but thats whats for dinner!

casper/ decent town but truly a windy city
cody/ is nice but its a tourist town
football team years ago in Star Valley was know as the cheese makers. thuing is there only about 13 dairy farms left here and no creameries

Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM

61 posts, read 215,880 times
Wyoming from a resident's point of view:
Positives: Safe small towns and small cities (generally speaking), beautiful scenery in the western part of the state, lots of outdoor stuff like hunting, fishing, etc., no state income tax, fairly friendly people.
Negatives: Long winters and cold, most places are pretty windy, low wages unless you work for an energy related field or the government, isolated from large travel hubs (example: Cheyenne is 2 hours from Denver).
My pick for places to live: Sheridan, Lander, Cody (for smaller towns) I would pick Cheyenne over Casper due to its proximity to Denver/Fort Collins, but that's only one opinion. Both Cheyenne and Casper are very windy and that bothers alot of people.
P.S. -Although Jackson is beautiful, it's expensive and never really has felt like "true" Wyoming to me. Feels more like "transplant city."

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,546 times
I live in Jackson, and I will second what others have said here. It is expensive, but I've found real estate to be the prohibitive expense. Other expenses seem to run about normal. But, when your house/apt costs a lot, I suppose it doesn't really matter about the other stuff.....

I like the Cheyenne area a lot, and Laramie is a lot of fun. I also agree with some of the other posters here that Lander is a GREAT area, and the cities near the Bighorns (Buffalo, Sheridan) are also good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming