Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I was thinking about that after I posted last night. I-29 was open to I-680 (which connects directly east with I-80) when I was through there in early September. I've heard that it's now open to Omaha, but I think there are still detours around the Missouri border. My sister lives in western Iowa on I-80 and has been taking Hwy 59 (at Avoca) south to KC when she goes there. It's a pretty good 2-lane highway and avoids some of the problems on Hwy 75, which has been used as a detour by many this past summer, and it hooks up with I-29 north of KC.
This is good to know. We're going to attempt to drive home to Memphis over the Christmas holidays, depending on the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Northern Utah is expecting a huge winter storm coming in Friday right through Sunday so you might have picked the WRONG weekend to get though Utah or worse yet Wyoming. I-80 from Evanston Wyoming is closed all the time when a bad storm hits, and it looks like that's what you'll get. I feel for ya. I used to travel by car for a living across 17 States from Ohio to the West coast. The worst I ever had was leaving Cheyenne and the interstate was flat out closed from North Platte NE to the Illinois/Iowa border. Nothing but ice across the roads with 40mph winds driving more snow across the roads. What a nightmare. Don't take chances, but make darned sure you bring blankets, water and food that could last a few days just in case.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
(Whispering): Go I-40!!!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM

If it weren't for the fact that road is so tore up I'd agree. I-40 sucks for the most part. Depending on the fickle weather there is NO guarantee it won't freeze up either. Look what happened last year. it was a friggen nightmare.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM

57 posts, read 144,353 times
If I am able to leave Thursday night after work (7pm-ish), I could possibly get to SLC by 10am with iffy weather, as long as none of those roads are totally closed. Then I could potentially beat this wonderfully-timed storm ...(then there's Wyoming...)

That's a lot of "possibly" and "potentially".... but I'm feelin good about it.. I think.... :/

I work at a few homeless shelters in the area, so I'm used to working and staying awake for very long shifts (18, 24, 36-hr shifts), so driving 12-15 hours after work should be do-able.

Opinions, anyone?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
If I am able to leave Thursday night after work (7pm-ish), I could possibly get to SLC by 10am with iffy weather, as long as none of those roads are totally closed. Then I could potentially beat this wonderfully-timed storm ...(then there's Wyoming...)

That's a lot of "possibly" and "potentially".... but I'm feelin good about it.. I think.... :/

I work at a few homeless shelters in the area, so I'm used to working and staying awake for very long shifts (18, 24, 36-hr shifts), so driving 12-15 hours after work should be do-able.

Opinions, anyone?
The current storm frontal passage developing in the hills East of Seattle has already arrived this evening. NOAA's forecasts for North and Western Wyoming call for typical winter storm severe conditions developing on Thursday and continuing for the better part of the next 7 days.

If I had to make a decision about your planned travel route now, I'd say that you are headed into a major area-wide storm with a departure on Thursday. You'll encounter inclement driving conditions shortly East of Seattle and getting to SLC may be problematic. Further Eastward travel conditions may be quite daunting between the gusty winds, moisture, and cold temps forecast starting on Thursday.

As far as driving 12-15 hours in the face of such conditions ... I can't speak for your physical/mental abilities, but I know the limitations of most drivers are far past their capacity to be alert and in full control at such a long time span. You're not simply talking about driving 12-15 hours, you are saying you'll do this AFTER working a shift; so we're looking at being up and capable for a minimum of 20 hours and more likely 24 hours or so. That's a formula for less than an ideal outcome in your travels even if the adverse road conditions didn't present.

I don't equate the ability to stay awake in your job with your ability to drive competently over such long time frames ... especially with nighttime travel. If you encounter snowy/sloppy road conditions, every semi-truck combination on the highway will present a moving wall of obscuration which will be quite formidable for you to deal with. Typically, they will be moving faster than you on the flats and descents, and slower than you on the ascents of the roads ... so you'll get to deal with them fairly frequently. It's quite a challenge. I suggest you google some of the videos posted about Wyoming winter driving to get an idea what you'll potentially be dealing with ... and consider that the limited visibility conditions present even during daytime travel. At night, it'e even more challenging.

At this time, I'd suggest that you consider a completely different route to Memphis if you are staying on your scheduled departure. You might want to look at heading South from Seattle to avoid the inclement conditions and then when far enough South to avoid the mountains with the snow/ice conditions ... then head East. You will no doubt incur longer travel and time for your trip, but may avoid situations where you'll take even more time going nowhere due to the conditions.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 AM

Your main challenge with the weather will no doubt be on I-84 through the Blue Mountains which rise after Pendleton Oregon and don't descend much before LaGrande Oregon. They are a $#%@& to drive if the weather isn't good and I've been there when it was closed altogether with blowing snow and jackknifed semi trucks. After that it's fairly clear sailing till you run into several high passes once in Utah. Then of course (and I'll bet money on this) Evanston Wyoming to Rock Springs will be CLOSED due to weather (horrible in that stretch between Evanston and Lyman for snow and ice). Then if you were blessed enough to make it through there I guarantee you a white knuckle ride from Rawlins to Cheyenne. It's HORRIBLE. Blowing snow and ice if it's bad weather and semi's blowing across lanes. I used to dread that stretch in particular. I wish you well but I've got to say you sure picked the WRONG weekend to do this

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Whatever you decide, best of luck. Be safe, and have a great Thanksgiving with your folks...they want you to arrive in one piece, so don't take any chances!

Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Hey, if nothing else, the coffee is always on at my place and I have a nice long couch. hahaha It is very suited for sleeping on, I can attest because I have done it many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming