Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

78 posts, read 169,595 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Wyoming and we have it narrowed down to four towns and don't know which one to pick to move to. We would love to have a quiet place to live and possibly mountain views, and a nice small town where everybody knows everybody. We are torn and don't know enough about the areas to be able to decide at this point. Can anyone out there lend a hand? It would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Going from your wish list, I'd say Lander, with Sheridan in second place. Gillette and Rawlins are on the plains and an hour's drive from mountains, and both have a lot of turnover of residents. Sheridan is a nice town, but it's a little big for "everybody knows everybody". Fact of the matter is, Lander is probably a little too big for that too.

I live in Gillette. Population is about 30,000, and it's far from a "quiet place".

Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Meteetsee is small with mountain views. Centennial? Saratoga? Encampment? Powell, Ten Sleep, Greybull? Those are all smaller.

Sheridan is bigger than a "small town," and growing.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Lander would be my choice out of the list ...

But what about some of the towns in the Sheridan area, like Story? Not too far away from Sheridan, but a community apart ...

Don't know what your search criteria was to select such a diverse group of towns, so would also suggest looking at the Star Valley area.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 PM

78 posts, read 169,595 times
We do not know enough about the surrounding areas of these towns to know what is what. we researched and the towns I listed are the ones that stuck out. I figured I would get input from people out there who live in the state. Lander is sounding like its got the popular vote right now. Id have to look and see what towns surround the areas to be able to figure out what smaller towns can be options vs the more populated areas. Thank you all for the input keep it coming

Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM

144 posts, read 553,074 times
Are you retiring or will be looking for work?
This makes a big difference on where to steer you.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Pooka, after reading your two posts, I just can't for the life of me think of ANY reason why Jackson would'nt be the 'go-to' place for you. Really !

Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 17,637 times
Hi-anyone?! I am thinking of moving to Gillette for about a year-my husband has been out of work for about 3 years now...getting by on side work.He will stay home and keep looking for a job.
I have been a waitress for about 20 years-that's what I love-and the moneys good! Can anyone tell me what a waitress makes there? I was looking to move to Williston,ND- but there is NOWHERE to live!
Any information would be appreciated.Thank you!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
My wife says waitresses make $2.50 to $4.50/hour in Gillette -- obviously plus tips, and that's going to vary widely. If you can work evenings in a restaurant that serves drinks, you should do pretty well.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 PM

10 posts, read 17,637 times
Thanks WyoNewk!
Here in Arizona we make $4.oo-until about a year ago we made $2.10! I am wondering what they make in tips- it has to be worth it to move away from my husband & kids, but after so long with no 'real job' we are willing to give this a try for now-there is nothing here as far as jobs in construction go- which is what he does.
I am the one leaving because that way he can keep looking for a job here, and I can make more than he could- if I find a busy place. I'm looking more for a breakfast/ truckstop type restaurant. One that they stay pretty busy- and eat & leave! The tips are good at the 'nicer' places, but you don't have the volume of people coming in.
Any tips on where NOT to stay?
Thanks for theinformation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming